How much for insurance?? 18 and a 600 sportbike

12 replies to this topic
  • Bullitt208

Posted April 28, 2008 - 01:15 PM

Well im 18 and am wanting to get on a motorcycle soon. Im wanting to get a newer gsxr600 or ninja zx-6r. (no, it will not be to much bike for me) roughly how much would insurance cost me with geico, or AIG or some cheaper company like that. I have a clean driving record, no tickets or accedents. Any idea's?
Thanks, Drew

• Kliedus

Posted April 28, 2008 - 01:44 PM

hah! alot, probably too much.. but you should try getting an online insurance quote, it will give you an idea of how much. I was thinking about getting a bike too.. and im 20 and the insurance was ridiculous! maybe its just me :eek:

• mxguitargod7

Posted April 28, 2008 - 01:46 PM

Online quotes are deceiving. I was quoted $600 a month for regular car insurance.

• roketa36

Posted April 28, 2008 - 01:57 PM

im 22 with a good driving record and they wanted like 3 grand a year for a sv1000. The gixxers are like 4 grand. Thats here is florida though.I was also looking at full coverage. But the bottom line is that its made for one thing. The insurance companys know that. We are young so we are going to pay hefty for that. I ended up getting me a VS 800 Something like a HD sportster. I paid 700 a year insurance on it. That was full insurance. I was going to get a sports bike but ended up liking the Crusiers. They are quick and comfortable. I know own A C-90 Boulivard. With a 1500cc gixer fuel injection system on it. Both these bikes were quick. The Vs800 ran 13sec. and I dont know what the C90 will do. But it is quick. Sorry about rambling just trying to let you know what route I went.Good luck bro

• sparkyz

Posted April 28, 2008 - 02:07 PM

It depends on the coverage of course. If you are financing and require comprehensive coverage with collision plan on paying more for insurance each month than the bike payment, probably at least $2500 a year. If you are buying the bike outright and don't need full coverage and just go with liability you may be looking at a lot less. I've had my cbr600 since I was 20 (I think?) and it's always been about $200 a year.

• rtcmichael

Posted April 28, 2008 - 02:17 PM

I pay around 90 a year for libility on my FZ6. your goona pay out the you know what being that age and it a being "sport" street bike.

You looking for full coverage? If so put the difference between that and libility in a savings account.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davethegoat

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:05 PM

I live in Florida. I dont have to carry insurance at all for my bike.

Posted Image

• WAMXP1MP

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Not uncommon to hear $2 grand for insurance for the year even with a clean driving record and if you don't buy the bike out right / loan your gonna be required no matter what to have insurance.

• Jackk719

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:46 PM

But you do make that money up with the MPG of bikes.

• OrangeTJ

Posted April 28, 2008 - 04:11 PM

That depends entirely on the mileage of the alternative vehicle. Figure on a sportbike getting mileage in the 40-45 mpg range.

• bdrushto

Posted April 28, 2008 - 04:13 PM

It is going to be enormous for someone your age. If I had to guess, I'd go $1000 a year as the absolute cheapest for liability alone, and there's no way in hell I'd go with liability only.

And I hate to say it, I really do, but those rates are due to the hordes of 18 year-olds parading around claiming "no its not too much bike for me."

• fivepointnine

Posted April 29, 2008 - 08:09 PM

Well im 18 and am wanting to get on a motorcycle soon. Im wanting to get a newer gsxr600 or ninja zx-6r. (no, it will not be to much bike for me) roughly how much would insurance cost me with geico, or AIG or some cheaper company like that. I have a clean driving record, no tickets or accedents. Any idea's?
Thanks, Drew

astronomical insurance rates on a newer supersport for an 18 year old......and make sure to pay up on your life and health insurance, you will need it.

if you are dead set on a ZX6r, look for the first gen (95-98ish), they arent as powerful (about 90-95 to the rear wheel, still plenty enough to kill yourself) and the insurance rates wont be as bad.

the MSF course doesnt knock a ton off your insurance either, only lowered mine by about 3% with geico

• MotoXRyne

Posted April 29, 2008 - 08:30 PM

I wanted to get a streetbike last year. I was looking at insurance for 600s, SMR510s and things like that. Sportbikes were around $5000 a year, the Supermoto bikes were around $2000. I just gave up on the idea.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 Beta 350 RR EFI Dirtbiketest.com by Johnny Depp

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

How do I free up some power from my son's 2012 PW50? by fastguineaboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Mini/Pee-Wee
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Pressure Washing Your Ride ? by Oldmossyspokes

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M   CRF250 L/M FAQ
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 Beta Model Ride Impressions Enduro360.com by Johnny Depp

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Kx 250f vs yz 250 vs yz125 by kxrider1001

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.