Weak fork seals

12 replies to this topic
  • Stepdaddy

Posted April 28, 2008 - 10:10 AM

Im here just to complain a little bit, last Friday i took my 08 yzf450 to the night track...beat on her good and no problems what so ever...the next morning me and a buddy went to a offroad park...rocky terrain, sand beaches and what not...as we were loading up to go home i had one blown seal and my buddy (08 yzf250) had blown both seals...this will be the second time replacing them in about 3 rides...The onlything i can come up with to help the matter is to put some neoprine covers over the forks or i heard the 2004 seals are less of the fee moving seals...can anyone fill me on in what i can do besides to learn how to rebuild forks?:eek:

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2008 - 10:19 AM

The '04 seal has been superseded by the '06-'08 seal, so they are no longer an option.

The current KYB seal is a low drag, low "stiction" design, and they are more sensitive to dirt etc., than the older seals were. It's important to keep them clean, and to keep water spots and dried mud off the lower fork tubes. The Only two upgrade solutions I'm aware of are Synergy seals, and those available through MSR-HP. I have used the latter, and they lasted a good year or so. Then, too, the OEM seals on my own '06 never leaked from September until yesterday, when I replaced them as part of a fluid change.

• Stepdaddy

Posted April 28, 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Gray. Im thinking about getting some Synergy seals or a prduct from sealsaver.com, me and 3 guys I ride with have gone threw 6 sets of fork seals in the past 6 months...its really hard to deal with at 150+ a rebuild...its really starting to cut into my drinking funds

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2008 - 10:36 AM

..its really hard to deal with at 150+ a rebuild...its really starting to cut into my drinking funds

Spend under $100 on a seal driver, a ring wrench, and a base valve remover, and replace your own seals. You can do a quick, seal only replacement in under an hour.

Also, be sure you try cleaning the seals before you replace them. You can often clean them 3-4 times or more before they just won't hold anymore.

• Stepdaddy

Posted April 28, 2008 - 11:27 AM

Spend under $100 on a seal driver, a ring wrench, and a base valve remover, and replace your own seals. You can do a quick, seal only replacement in under an hour.

Also, be sure you try cleaning the seals before you replace them. You can often clean them 3-4 times or more before they just won't hold anymore.

Mabey thats the best way to go...get the right tools and learn to do them yourself. I tried to clean them with a tear off after i got the bikes clean but it didnt seem to do a dang thing...tonight ill grab a few cards and try to clean them before sending them acrost the street for new seals.

• Wiz636

Posted April 28, 2008 - 11:33 AM

I just replaced my oem seals after 11 months of heavy riding, and like GR that was only because I was doing a fluid change. My oem seals tended to pick up dirt and needed to be cleaned out with film or a tear off quite often but they were not leaking when I replaced them this weekend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2008 - 12:02 PM

Film, like a tear off. works OK, but not as well, IMO, as a thin business card with the edge roughed up just a little with a fine file. The fibers of the paper will drag out more dirt than the film will.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 28, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Synergy fixes this issue once and for all. :eek:

• todds924

Posted April 28, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Film, like a tear off. works OK, but not as well, IMO, as a thin business card with the edge roughed up just a little with a fine file. The fibers of the paper will drag out more dirt than the film will.

I'll use the motion pro "seal saver" every week when i'm doing my race prep. It really works and cuts the seal replacement time for my forks drastically.

• rickallen124

Posted April 28, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Motion pro also has a tool called seal mate which is thin long piece of plastic which helps to get the sand and grit out of the seal. Another thing that also works is a really thin feeler gauge. Sand seems to be the worst on these seals.

• Stepdaddy

Posted April 29, 2008 - 10:06 AM

Synergy fixes this issue once and for all. :eek:

Im going to order a set of thies since i already have a set of OEM seals...i figure as soon as i get back on the beach and rough muddy trails ill have blown them so Senergy seals will be the next replacement

• TAC

Posted May 02, 2008 - 10:21 AM

try using a light grease in the seal and dust seal to catch the dirt

• KAS

Posted May 02, 2008 - 10:27 AM

My OEM stuff would constantly leak. I got a couple rides on aftermarket seals and they seem to be OK.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.