2001 Yzf426 Rebuild Cost???

9 replies to this topic
  • lftdjeep426

Posted April 28, 2008 - 09:21 AM

What kind of price tag should I expect to get a new top-end done on my 426? Parts vs. Labor. To my knowledge, it has never had the top-end redone. It still pulls very strong but I know that it has to have faded alot. I just wonder if I should get rid of it and get a new 450 or spend the cash on mine.

Suggestions?:eek:

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted April 28, 2008 - 09:27 AM

don't know...but i got one a little to the north i'll sell ya :eek:

• bustersat

Posted April 28, 2008 - 09:28 AM

I just did the top end of my 02 426 for about $650. That included valves re cut, seats re cut, (2) time serts for stripped out cam cover bolts, and a lukes racing 444 big bore with 13.5 to 1 piston. I did all the work myself (first time doing it). You could get away alot cheaper if you did not go with the big bore (maybe 200 less), but now I can stay with my friends on there 450's real easy. It all depends on how fast you want to spend!:eek:

• rec_rider

Posted May 04, 2008 - 06:36 PM

I had mine done a little over a year ago and spent about $750. Had a cylinder sleeve installed, valve job, and new piston/rings. I had the machine work done by a local tech but I did the assembly myself. That also included a hotcam exhaust decomp cam. Taking it to a shop will increase the cost by ???.

• nolimits720

Posted May 04, 2008 - 06:45 PM

i just did a full rebuild on my yzf250 top and bottom for $950 for parts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted May 04, 2008 - 09:18 PM

Valves-60 bucks a piece from the TT store x 5 = 300 bucks (if you need them)
Valve seats cut 25 bucks each x 5 = 125 bucks (even if you don't think they need it)
Springs 6 bucks each from the TT store x 5 = 30 bucks (even if you don't think you need them)
Piston kit 160 to 180 bucks depending on whose (OEM, Wiseco, JE)
Gaskets - about 80 bucks
Cam Chain 40 bucks

Assuming the bore is in good shape, you're looking at about 700 bucks in parts...if the bore is toast, add another 300 bucks and get the big bore kit from Lukes.

Labor for a top end is anywhaere from 200-500 bucks depending on shop and how much prep work you do. Unless you are a total spaz, the job really isn't that dificult...maybe try it to save some bucks?

• KJ790

Posted May 05, 2008 - 04:58 AM

If you want to make it cheaper, you can use the stainless valves from a 2000 YZ426, just use the springs and retainers for a 2000 as well. This cuts your costs down to $80 for all five valves. Most places charge around $50 to get all the seats cut. Looking at crotchrocket.com it will be $15 for all valve springs, about $20 for all seals, retainers, cotters, $120 for piston, wrist pin, c-clips, and rings, and $26 for head and base gaskets. That brings the grand total up to $311 for parts and then add labor on. If you want the titanium valves it will be about another $210 more using crotchrocket.com.

• MotoEH77

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:15 PM

hey i just bought an 2000 yzf426 and its my second day on it. it had a hard time starting yesterday and stuff because i didnt know the "certain" way to start them but i have it down know. but today its been leaking coolant out of the over flow but i dont know why its slowly draining. any tips?

• kerry400f

Posted May 23, 2008 - 09:50 AM

hey i just bought an 2000 yzf426 and its my second day on it. it had a hard time starting yesterday and stuff because i didnt know the "certain" way to start them but i have it down know. but today its been leaking coolant out of the over flow but i dont know why its slowly draining. any tips?

my old 98 yz400 did that all the time. i couldnt figure it out. i even changed the coolant and it didnt help so i went and bought a yz426 radiator(they have more capacity than the yz400s and it cleared up) o yea my fins were all fine to.

are your fins bent on your rad.? try doin a rad. flush thats where id start

• gem

Posted May 25, 2008 - 08:10 PM

I might do a rebuild this winter on my 2000 426( i have been saying that for years) and hopefully with the powermoto video and maybe the sticky here by the kid who rebuilt the yzf250 I will get it done right. I mean how hard can it be, it's not like I am a "total spaz" or anything

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.