Unidentified white wire

4 replies to this topic
  • Math

Posted April 27, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Guys, I'm sorry in advance but this is probably going to be a dumb question...

I own a 01 426 canadian model
I stripped out my baja design dual sport kit tonight. When I was done reconnecting everything, I realized that there was a white wire coming out from the CDI magneto snake that was connected to nothing. What is strange and not that strange at the same time is that I can't identify this wire from the diagram on page 6-1 of my manual and I have nothing left to plug it in...

So here we go in more details: I have 6 wires coming out the CDI magneto snake that are installed in a connector that goes to the CDI unit. Everything looks fine there (colours match and everything is plugged). I also have a yellow wire coming out that snake that I plan to connect to the other "loner" yellow wire that comes out the snake that is over the carb on the left side of the bike (light switch).... and I have this white wire that comes out the snake that does not appear on the diagram and that I don't know what to do with..:eek:

Is it also part of the baja design kit? (I bought the bike many years ago and I never had the manual to install the baja kit)

Please help me if you can.:p

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 28, 2008 - 05:55 AM

Just a wild guess, but I'd say it is probably the ground float wire which is needed on Baja Designs kits. Without it the lights won't work. If your bike is a WR and you have all of the stock lighting, I think that you will need to ground this wire to make the factory stuff work.:eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted April 28, 2008 - 06:55 AM

My bike can't be platted to go street anymore so I decided I would remove the kit and ended up with this wire going nowhere...

So that would be something that's been added when the bd lightning kit was installed? Can I remove it? I can't find this part in the instructions from Baja Design.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 29, 2008 - 05:37 AM

Like I said I think that you need to ground this wire to make the stock lights work, but if you don't have the stock lights I would just tape it off and forget about it. It could be a selling point later on down the line.

• Math

Posted April 30, 2008 - 05:20 AM

So Jim, I'm not the best mechanic... how do you ground that wire. Is it ok if I just put the end in contact with the frame and tape it there?
My neighboor is a good motorcycle mechanic... I'll ask him to look at that anyway.
Thanks a lot.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.