Rear Lience Plates

6 replies to this topic
  • Nige_Uk

Posted November 18, 2002 - 03:14 AM

Does anybody know where I can get a rear number plate made from aluminium in the Uk. With all these new laws about the sizes of letters & plates etc I can't find anybody who will make a small aluminium one. If I put a standard perspex one on it wouldn't last 2 minutes & would look like a bill board on the back !!
I've been told that the laws on producing plates are going to be even tighter in the new year, so if you are going to be needing a replacement, nows the time.

Cheers
Nige

• David_W

Posted November 18, 2002 - 06:21 AM

Go to MAL Numberplates. Can't remember the number, but they are in Wellingborough so you should be able to go through the operator. They do flexible plastic 7"x5" plates that should survive OK.

• codlord

Posted November 18, 2002 - 12:20 PM

Nige,

I got one recently, see here:
http://www.dirtbikes...aneous__90.html

I got the small metal one - as it says it's not strictly legal but will pass an MOT and I can't see any PC plods stopping you as it looks totally legit - it's not tiny, just the right size.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pete_Z

Posted November 18, 2002 - 06:16 PM

You blokes "make" your own motorcycle licence plates on that side of the pond!? I wasn't aware of that. Kind of like snowmobiles and boats over here I suppose. Does it apply to both street and dirt? Just wondering.

Peace Eh - P.Z.

• codlord

Posted November 18, 2002 - 10:46 PM

Pete_Z,

Standard licence plates over here for cars and bikes are made from plastic (acrylic) so they can easily crack/smash if you try and use them on an off road bike. Also standard sized bike plates are o.k. for big street bikes but a bit too big for an off road bike, so I have had to get a the metal plate and stick-on numbers/letters from the one place I found them.

• Nige_Uk

Posted November 19, 2002 - 11:40 AM

Cheers Lads,
I've ordered a 'Bendy Plate' from MAL Number plates, so I'll see how this survives !!
:)
Nige

• Pete_Z

Posted November 20, 2002 - 10:32 AM

Thanks - I guess you really do learn something new every day after all! Can I go home now? :)

Peace Eh - P.Z.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.