Performance upgrade for the dunes

8 replies to this topic
  • snow

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:53 PM

When I update my 05 I will be going to the dunes allot and was wondering how much more HP or will I be able to walk away from the other 450's on a hill with higher compression piston and cam or even a BB kit.

I ride 4000ft to 5000ft

• rptup

Posted April 26, 2008 - 11:54 PM

When I update my 05 I will be going to the dunes allot and was wondering how much more HP or will I be able to walk away from the other 450's on a hill with higher compression piston and cam or even a BB kit.

I ride 4000ft to 5000ft

Are you going to go to St. anthony's alot? Your 05 should be just fine stock, majority of the bikes are already piped or have a BB kit. But the BB kit should be enough, i raced my 07 against a piped 06 KX450 he said he also had a high comp piston in it (i didnt beleive he did unless it was lack of skill), and i stuck right beside him all the way up choke cherry, hell and i even wheelied half the way up, so you will have enough fun racing even with a stock bike. Just get a pipe and have a clean air filter and some engine ice.

• snow

Posted April 27, 2008 - 06:39 AM

Ya I have allready been there a few times on a 450 I just want more power for Choke and Thunder.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted April 27, 2008 - 08:30 AM

Cams always help but you tend to get more power out of head work, (Valves and porting and polishing.) Higher compression pistons improve throttle response and will give you minimal ponies

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snow

Posted April 27, 2008 - 08:32 AM

What does a good port and polish run a guy??

• BRYANS01

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:25 AM

by the time you do all that to your 450 and make it almost impossible for a normal rider to handle in the dirt, just go buy a cr500 2smoke and use it for a hill shooter

• snow

Posted April 27, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Well I like my thumper in the woods that is why I am looking at a Big bore or something to edge out the other 450's in the sand.

• rptup

Posted April 27, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Nitrous? I have seen plenty of guys with it on there 450's in the dunes. You can get a switch or have it hooked up to your throttle, its cheaper, and i guess just more practical just un-hook it when you go to dirt. Problem solved

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted April 27, 2008 - 08:16 PM

I have rode at ST. Anthony for 10 years and one thing is always true.

Someone always has a faster bike than yours!!!!! And it is usually a 500 as mentioned above.

I just tell myself this when I lose a race or two. But it is fun as hell to race and win as well. I have had an 04 and 05 450 and both have had a pipe and will hang with most bikes. Plus I am about 250 lbs, so I am at a slight disadvantage.
I have seen a 125 beat a 500 halfway up thunder all because of rider skill, and skill comes cheap, all you have to do is practice. Also try and run the least amount of air as possible in your rear tire without getting a pinch flat. You will be amazed at how much faster you can come out of the hole. I usually run mine around 4-5 lbs when I'm running the hill.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.