1984 Yamaha IT-200

It will smoke because it's a two stroke. Nothing wrong there. Don't know if parts are available, but generally rebuilding an old engine can be costly as parts are new old stock, so Yamaha charges heaps for the parts they no longer manufacture. It's a two stroke, so that will bring the price of the rebuild down, anyway, as long as the parts are available. Do you want to rebuild the entire engine, or just the top-end? Top end kits are usually still available for most old models.

Plastics and decals may be available from Yamaha, but I'll tell you now, be prepared to pay a lot for genuine ones. A front fender for my old Yamaha (plastic) was $115. I didn't buy it, though, just repaired the old one. The decals can be obtained from eBay. There's a store there that does reproduction decals. Your best bet for plastics would be second hand. Keep an eye out on eBay, or find a motorcycle wrecker near you. eBay is your friend for old bike parts (usually)

Good luck. Vintage bikes aren't cheap to restore, so hope you have the money for the task.

hi thanks for the help but the engine runs great with a new tank of gas so do you know if any parts can substitute for oem or if there are any performance parts that will work. about the decals where can i get some reproduction ones. and what is involved in rebuilding an engine and please be specific about top and bottom end.

p.s. where can i get one of those top end kits considering this is a bike from 84" with a 200 motor

Im not positive on this but I think the Yamaha Blaster 4 wheeler used a variation of the IT 200 engine. If so, many of the engine parts may interchange. There is a Yamaha shop in Bloomsburg Pennsylvania that specializes in old nos Yamaha parts. I just cant remember the name right now. Maybe someone else does.

If your worried about the amount of smoke , yes two stroke smoke but you may have a bad wet side crank seal from the transmission if trans oil is being consumed you probably have a bad wet side seal resulting in your excess smoke

Wiseco still makes a piston, i also think I remember that the blaster engine is similar, they share the same bore and stroke at least.

I had a 1981 IT125 and liked it, my neighbor had a 200, maybe an 86 and I wanted it, seemed better than the kdx's at the time. I ended up with an air cooled kdx a few years later and was satisfied but have always liked the IT's.

As said before it will smoke some, but make sure it isnt sucking from the transmission. Use quality modern oil designed for motorcycles to minimize it. I use amsoil sabre at 75:1 for years and have had no problems, even with air cooled bikes.

I have also seen some 2t's that have sat a while smoke quite a bit for a a couple tanks of gas and then clear up, not sure if it is residual in the crankcase or exhaust or what.

• 1 month later...
Im not positive on this but I think the Yamaha Blaster 4 wheeler used a variation of the IT 200 engine. If so, many of the engine parts may interchange. There is a Yamaha shop in Bloomsburg Pennsylvania that specializes in old nos Yamaha parts. I just cant remember the name right now. Maybe someone else does.

It is called Speed and Sport. Go to www.yamatopdog.com.

i got some questions about this bike i paid 550.00 for 1 today ?

1. is it good

2. should it smoke alot

3. about how much will it cost to rebuild the engine

4. can i get the plastic and decals

The IT200 is an extremely good bike. It is very light (211 lbs), the chassis is based on the YZ125 and has large 43mm forks, probably the best set of non-cartridge forks ever produced.

With a single wall pipe (i.e. DG) and a free flowing silencer, the bike will come alive. One other thing, go to a 48 tooth rear sprocket from the stock 44. It has a wide enough ratio transmission to handle it. Set up this way, the bike is more competitive than even the KDX200 to the point of the perimeter framed models.

The air cooled Yamahas are cheap and simple to rebuild, and as someone stated here, the Blaster engine is essentially the same. All the parts for the engine are still available either from Yamaha or aftermarket.

You can get the decals from Speed and Sport, Clarke Manufacturing still makes tanks for it, and your can find the OEM blue plastic if you look hard enough--it is just really expensive.

does anyone know if this or my 88 xr600r is better for mx/trails

Depends on the trails. Tight single-track with lots of gnarly, slow sections, log crossings, etc....no contest, go with the 200. If it's going to be some relaxed single track and faster gravel roads/fire roads, the big XR would be my choice.

Isn't it great to be able to have that choice, though???

• 8 years later...