FRAYED CABLE

5 replies to this topic
  • thumperpower411

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:01 AM

anyone on the yz 4-strokes had any problems with the throttle cable fraying on my father 1998 yz 400 hes on his third cable whats the deal? i work at a dealership and evan the never bikes are haveing the problem appearently are there any fixes for it or a better cable?

• lewichris

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:38 AM

i just did a check under my throtle linkage bok on my carb and my cable is frayed. so i have to order a new one. I know these things are tricky to put on but how tricky

• SMD

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:38 PM

Had the same issue on my 99 after 3000 miles.... I checked them after reading about it here and sure enough they were hanging by two strands.
The design calls for close maintenance and lubrication.(poor design at that)Easy to R&R though..you should not have a problem. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:47 PM

This is a known problem on these bikes. It is poor design. I'm on my third cable and I've tried adjusting that thing all over the place. Nothing seems to help.

• Bamster

Posted May 09, 2002 - 09:56 PM

I too am in the process of replacing my cable.
It broke on the push side about an inch and a half
from the bottom. I thought mabe their was too much play in the wheel on the carb. Can that wheel be ajusted? Is this where they all break?

• Bamster

Posted May 09, 2002 - 09:57 PM

I too am in the process of replacing my cable.
It broke on the push side about an inch and a half
from the bottom. I thought mabe their was too much play in the wheel on the carb. Can that wheel be ajusted? Is this where they all break?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.