wr 400 wr/yz timing, hot cams timing

14 replies to this topic
  • djrevz

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:44 AM

i have a wr400 2000 model and would like to no what would be best for day to day use the yz timing or the wr timing as i average above 20 miles a day at least 10 miles of that is on road, it has high performance wiseco valves, jd jet kit, powernow, grey wire cut, throttle stop, ais removal kit, i have bought hot cams - intake and exhaust ,and a leo vince exhaust.

thanx in advance.

• Birdy426

Posted April 26, 2008 - 08:24 AM

If you are going to install hot cams, there is no WR or YZ timing...they run "Hot Cams" timing. The best description I can give of the hot cams powerband is the bottom end of a WR with a midrange hit a bit bigger than the YZ timing, and a strong pull clear up to the rev limiter. A significant boost all around, and a lot more fun than stock WR. If you are not going to install the hot cams, run YZ timing. More, better power and a more pronounced hit. The WR timing makes a good "single track" powerband because it is so smooth.

• djrevz

Posted April 26, 2008 - 08:34 AM

excellent erm silly Q then were can i get the info for the hot cams then as the hot cams i bought are second hand but never used.

• djrevz

Posted April 27, 2008 - 03:09 PM

need hotcams instructions plzzz:crazy:

• Birdy426

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:47 PM

From the hotcams website...

http://www.hotcamsin...60168646589.pdf

• Birdy426

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:48 PM

and a video, also from the hotcams website

http://www.hotcamsin...Video&videoid=3

• djrevz

Posted April 27, 2008 - 10:50 PM

nice, thank you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted October 31, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Birdy, I've contacted hotcams for exhaust cam and they said:

exhaust cams were designed off of the performance for the YZ. We recommend the use of the stock timing marks on the cam sprockets. If you would like to play with the timing that is your decision. When doing so be sure to recheck your valve to piston clearance.

Any idea, if turning it counterclockwise, would it be the good old WR, because in tight stuff it really isn't pleasant to ride the YZ timing.
cheers

• Birdy426

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:56 PM

5 valve- It should be...except that the auto-decompression mechanism will not work. The relationship between the pin and valve will change. If you want WR power, you might try to find someone to swap an 03-04 factory WR cam with your HotCams cam...probably lots of takers on that one!

The other thing you might try, if you have a HotCams intake cam, is messing with the intake cam timing. I believe retarding it more will smooth out the powerband a bit...but be sure to check valve clearances!

• 5valve

Posted November 02, 2008 - 05:56 AM

5 valve- It should be...except that the auto-decompression mechanism will not work.

That's primarily, why I bought it.
Have you tried it WR timed not working autodecomp?
The pin does have some height to it, maybe it would press the valve at least enough to let the compression out at TDC.

• 5valve

Posted December 20, 2008 - 01:25 AM

Installed exhaust WR Hotcams, and autodecomp works YZ and WR timed.
Tad stiffer on the WR side, but still no need for manual decomp.
Did notice, that hotcams has steeper edged cam lobes, so valve, and therefore throtthle response is much crisper in both YZ and WR timing, compared to stock cam. Same goes for power buildup.

• ANTBREON

Posted December 20, 2008 - 05:56 PM

I INSTALLED THE HOT CAMS IN MY 06 WR ..AND THE DECOMP DIDNT WORK:eek: SPOLKE TO HOT CAMS AND IF THE VALVES AR NOT ADJUSTED PROPERLY IT WONT WORK SO CHECK THAT FIRST ..THEY DID SAY THAT THE PIN IN THE CAM COULD BE TO SHORT CAUSING IT NOT TO WORK PROPERLY ..I TOOK THE CAM OUT AND CHECKED IT AND IT WAS ABOUT 40 THOU SHORTER THAN THE STOCK ONE SO I PUT THE STOCK CAM BACK IN AND IT IS ON THE WAY BACK ,...THEY WERE REAL GOOD ABOUT SAING THEY WOULD TAKE CARE OF IT ...:thumbsup: IF NOTHING HAPPENS YOU ARNT DOING ANYTHING... I DONT GET MAD THAT THINGS HAPPEN ..IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT I WILL BE A BETTER CUSTOMER THAN IF NOTHING WENT WRONG BUT DONT THEN I GET UPSET ... THEY MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN POWER I MOSTLY RIDE SUPERMOTO AND HARE SCRAMBLES STUFF PULLS WHEEL IN 3RD GAS ONLY IN SUPERMOTO TRIM ..IN THE DIRT IT IS ALMOST TO MUCH ...:smirk:

• 5valve

Posted December 20, 2008 - 11:57 PM

that's why I wanted my hotcam to be WR instead of YZ timed.
Too much power hitting in middle rpm for woods riding.
But the power increase, or should I say torque, is still noticable, while maintaining good traction and throtthle response control on loose soil uphills.
I keep all the valves on the larger side of the allowed clearance.

• localhero85

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:05 AM

Please advise, working on a used 99 wr400f, hot cams exhaust cam with auto decomp, stock intake cam. Can I advance the intake cam while running regular timing on hot cam exhaust? Thanks

• benny_mech

Posted July 01, 2013 - 08:49 PM

All I really ride is tight woods stuff and the Hotcam (exhaust) is awesome. The bike had YZ timing when I bought it, and it ran pretty well. I switched it back to WR timing because I thought it ought to be better for the tight woods stuff. I had nothing but problems after that. Bogging, hanging idle, all the stuff you see the "how to fix" at the top of the forums. I put the Hotcam in (no intake, just exhaust), and all the problems went away. That plus no more decompression lever makes the bike a joy to ride. I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.