2004 Yz450f

5 replies to this topic
  • clamber

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:25 AM

My friend just got one and I was wondering if there was anything to know about this year specifically. I told him it would be in his best interest to get a 2006+, but he found this one that was owned by a professional mechanic and it was only $3200 and in good condition.

What is there to know about this bike?

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2008 - 08:23 AM

Well, to start with, he paid a little too much for it. He could actually have had an '06 for that kind of money.

Regardless, here's the story in summary:

Extremely reliable

Very good rear suspension, the forks are OK with a little work, depending on what you do with the bike.

Stable in the rough stuff, but feels top heavy and reluctant to turn (lean it over farther than normal. Wants to stand up in turns. Raise the fork tubes 5-6 mm in the clamps, it helps this.

Engine is low on rotating mass and has a very abrupt power delivery in the low mid range, a lot like an old '60-70's muscle car. Adding flywheel weight helps tame this without detracting from the performance (in fact, it enhances it)

It's a dry sump oil system:
http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

Use good oil, and keep the filters clean. The '04 may have been the best of the steel YZ450's.

• clamber

Posted April 26, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Cool. Ill have to tell him that. Its going to be really hard for him to ride. He is only 130lbs, but he insisted he needed a 450 instead of just getting a new piston for his '05 CRF250.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted April 26, 2008 - 04:06 PM

As gray said, power is very abrupt, even with my 210# butt. This is especially true when you jet it properly and fix the bog issue. Not a good bike for a 130# rider IMO. The 250F would be much easier to ride.

• clamber

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:33 PM

Yeah, hes out of his mind. Were going riding tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes.

• bigc

Posted April 27, 2008 - 05:09 PM

3200? man i have an pretty nice 03 there is no way i could get that money 4 it!anyway grayracer said it pretty much,i would love to upgrade to newer bike,but mine just runs so damn good still.only problem i had with mine was a few countershaft seals i do run a o ring chain it may have something to do with it

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.