Fly Wheel Weight: Steahly, GYT-R or Dr. D???

11 replies to this topic
  • x2468

Posted April 25, 2008 - 07:36 PM

I did a search on fly wheel weights and it left me with more questions than when i started. I read that Dr. D has 4, 6 and 8oz weights and if you want to switch you just call them and pay shipping and they'll let you trade it in. that sounds awesome to me, and i made sure to read it in two different threads here cuz it sounded too good. but i went to Dr. Ds website and i don't see any fly wheel weights in their product line. did they stop making them?

what about GYT-R? do they have any advantage?

and as for steahly. i know of them the best. i have a steahly 10 oz. i've read that the steahly weights are heavier than the rest because they acheive the same affect differently. what does 4, 6 and 8oz for Dr. D equal for Steahly? are there any advantages or disadvantages between the way steahly does FWWs and GYTR/DR. D do?

thanks

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:43 PM

What year YZ450 do you have?

• corndog67

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I've got a GYTR 9oz. waiting for me to pick up at the local Yamahamer dealer, I just prefer the factory parts to aftermarket. I won't get it until next week, I will let you know what I think of it when it comes in.

• x2468

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Well it would be for an 06. which is what i'm looking to get. i'm the type that likes to do all his research way in advance lol. i hate variables i can avoid

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:31 PM

One of the variables you overlooked is that DRD doesn't have weighted flywheels for '06's. The GYT-R Off Road (+9 oz) is your best bet.

The advantage to welding a weight in place instead of bolting it is that the welded weight can't come loose, and the welded assembly is balanced after the weight is added.

• x2468

Posted April 25, 2008 - 11:05 PM

One of the variables you overlooked is that DRD doesn't have weighted flywheels for '06's. The GYT-R Off Road (+9 oz) is your best bet.

The advantage to welding a weight in place instead of bolting it is that the welded weight can't come loose, and the welded assembly is balanced after the weight is added.

i couldn't find the Dr. D fly wheel weights period. they're not on Dr. Ds site. at least not under products. only reason i knew they even make them is by searching TT. would have been able to figure that out had i found them for sale somewhere.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted April 26, 2008 - 05:07 AM

i couldn't find the Dr. D fly wheel weights period. they're not on Dr. Ds site.

* Only Available for 2003-2005 YZ450F Models.

http://www.dubachrac...&products_id=28

• corndog67

Posted April 26, 2008 - 09:48 AM

I ordered the GYTR for an 06. They got it in 2 days. The hard part is paying for it without the ole lady finding out. She is figuring out that the accessory habit is nearly as expensive as the motorcycle habit.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 26, 2008 - 10:28 AM

Another vote for the GYT-R 9 oz, have one on mine.

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Me too. A subtle, but very definite improvement.

• DPW

Posted April 26, 2008 - 05:39 PM

Another vote for the GYT-R 9 oz, have one on mine.

I have one on my '08...another vote...

Me too. A subtle, but very definite improvement.

:thumbsup: :ride:

• FLYIN400F

Posted April 27, 2008 - 05:54 AM

I have the gytr 9 oz on my 07, best offroad mod i made for under 100.00

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.