sprocket saver

25 replies to this topic
  • swatdoc

Posted April 27, 2008 - 12:00 PM

i just ordered one of those MP tools myself so i wouldn't have to take my chain off.

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Anyone know if the alignment rod is long enough to reach at least mostly up to the front sprocket?

It doesn't appear to be, but you could get a longer rod easily enough.

• SXP

Posted May 01, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Very nice, thanks for the link! Figures MotionPro would make one, they have some nifty tools. Anyone know if the alignment rod is long enough to reach at least mostly up to the front sprocket?

Got mine in yesterday. I'm disappointed! The rod (after it's attached) is only about six inches long! You are supposed to "sight" along the rod to align the front and rear sprocket. So, I tried that. The only problem is that the front sprocket dissapears from sight under the hump in the swingarm by the slider. I suppose you could retrofit it with a longer rod, but I imagine finding something that's absolutely straight over that length might be a problem. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't as it's definitely not a ready-to-use item out of the box.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted May 01, 2008 - 09:16 AM

sxp - what you have to do is raise the rear of the bike by unbolting the bolt that runs thru the swingarm hlding the shock linkage in place - this will give you a straight shot to view the cs sprocket. for a longer rod, just hit the hardware store - i found a piece of 1/4" rod that was nice and straight

• MaxPower

Posted May 01, 2008 - 02:38 PM

[COLOR="Green"]isnt it just as easy to measure the distance to the centers of the pivot and axle with a tape measure?. This would give and accurate adjustment wouldnt it?[/COLOR]

• grayracer513

Posted May 01, 2008 - 02:56 PM

That's reasonably accurate, but not as much so as the straightedge method. It isn't all that easy to get the exact centers of the pivot and axle for the measurement. And as those who have used a straight edge running well forward will tell you, 1/12 turn of the adjuster bolt will move the far end of straight edge a surprisingly long way off center.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.