sprocket saver

25 replies to this topic
  • chan470

Posted April 25, 2008 - 06:09 PM

I ran across this chain alignment tool on cobra talk here

http://www.alleganmo...s.com/index.asp

http://www.sprocketsaver.com

Price looks fair @ $29.95. What do you guys think?

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 25, 2008 - 06:29 PM

IMO it's a waste of 30 bucks...I think chain/sprocket wear is much more contributed to the chain being too tight or not well maintained, as opposed to not being laser aligned...

• swatdoc

Posted April 25, 2008 - 06:52 PM

I liked the idea and bought one. Some of you may recall I made a jig myself using 2 pieces of aluminum that I bolted together and then clamped to the rear sprocket. I then took a piece of steel rod and laid it on top of the aluminum pieces and then saw how it lined up with the front sprocket. Adjusted rear axle till I had perfect alignment. Worked perfect, but a little hassle to use as I had to do it with the chain removed.
I did discover that the stock marks on the swingarm were quite a bit off, and misalignment was an issue if I used the stock marks. I was even still a little off when trying to measure the distance from swingarm pivot to rear axle on both sides.
anyway, i got the laser sprocket saver.
before using it i wanted to see how accurate it was, because if the laser doesn't come out of the unit straight, then you can never be accurate and the whole thing is moot. The important thing is if the laser comes out of the unit straight from side to side. If the laser comes out crooked (pointing to one side more thanthe other) your sprockets can be lined up perfect, but the laser will miss the front sprocket making you think things are misaligned. to test it, i laid the unit on it's side and measured the height of the beam from the table it was on at a distance of about 1" away. then i moved the ruler about 24" away and measured again. If the laser was pointing straight, the measurements should be equal. they weren't even close! - about 1 1/2" off!
I tried to adjust the beam using the set screws on the sides of the unit that hold the laser in place, but couldn't move the laser enough to even get close - mostly the set screws just dented the laser casing. I know some of you might say just rotate the laser untill the measurements line up, because the laser really doesn't have tp come out straight in the up and down plane,just the side to side plane. that would be correct, but unfortunately the laser can only go in one way because if you rotate it, you move the switch to turn it on awat from the screw that activates it and you can't turn the unit on.
To make matters even worse, i went ahead and busted out my small T-squares to check the unit itself for squareness, and again, not even close! the unit is made of a plastic material that obviously warps in the manufacturing process.
soin summary, although i like the idea of this unit, it is so poorly manufactured that it is not only a total waste of time and money, but if you used it you would guaranteed actually be misaligning your sprockets!

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Good review, swatdoc. The point about the laser not being capable of being trued to its fixture is critical to the unit's functionality. It's a great concept, but poorly executed.

Goose, the sprocket wear due to misaligned sprockets is significant,and so is the high speed steering issues that can develop. But more importantly on the '06 and later YZF is that misaligned sprockets cause lateral chain whip which causes the chain to strike the inside of the frame above the swing arm.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I'm surprised that if you carefully line up the axle blocks to be equal that it would be off enough to cause adverse issues...

I've seen tons of tires come on and off, and never seen anyone spend a whole lot of time making sure the alignment is perfect (after double checking the marks)...

Swatdoc, with the "rod" way you did it, did you do the lengthy steps to get the correct chain tightness first, then pull the clip, then align it, then tighten everything, then re-install the master clip?

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:21 PM

That's how I did it. On my newer bike, the marks were fairly accurate. On my older one, the right side swing arm mark is about 25% of the distance between marks farther forward on the axle block than the left when actually aligned.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:54 PM

You know, now that I think of it, when the bike was new I did notice one side of the blocks wasn't asymetrical (it didn't have that extra little lip on it that the other side had) which didn't make sence to me, so I immediately put aftermarket axle blocks in...Problem solved...The only thing is the blocks only have one mark, and the swingarm only has one mark, so I have a 6in divider (like a compass without the lead, just two sharp points) in the toolbox to make sure the marks are equal distance on both sides...
Sprocket and chain seem to be holding up fine...

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 10:02 PM

The swing arm has one mark, the blocks have several. The left and right blocks are different, as you noted, with a lip on the front of the left to prevent axle rotation. You need to match the marks up bt counting from the rear forward.

• tnl

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:22 AM

I red neck engineered a method with some left over parts in the garage like Swatdoc did and found out that my 05 blocks are actually correct. I used a cover off of a metal ele. box and clamped it to the inner side of the rear sprocket then clamped my thin gage straight edge to the outer side of the rear sprocket (ele. box cover).

• swatdoc

Posted April 26, 2008 - 01:31 PM

[Goose - yea, that's how I did it too.

Posted Image

IMG]Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted April 26, 2008 - 02:55 PM

Right on...Thanks for posting the pics...I'll rig someting like this just to check to see if my blocks are accurate...After that, doubt I'll be unclipping the chain anymore, but I'll never be screaming top speed on asphalt either...

• chan470

Posted April 26, 2008 - 03:30 PM

swatdoc,

thanks for sharing your experience with the sprocket saver. You saved me $30! :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Guys isn't easier just to buy a decent pair of quality Axle Blocks that are 100% equal on each side? (I hate the stock blocks also) I hate to be the negative one here, but it is not and should not be rocket science to correctly align a chain by the axle blocks w/o all the new fangled gadgets right? Now if the marks on the swingarm are not in the correct place...then I agree we got a big problem.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 26, 2008 - 03:55 PM

GA, I mostly agree with you, but I do think it's worth doing at least once to double check the accuracy of your blocks/swingarm marks, but from there, I think most of us are good to go...Just line up your marks carefully with a little over 2 fingers slack from the rear chainguard bolt...
I do understand that it would be more important for the supermoto guys to have it be dead on though...

• grayracer513

Posted April 26, 2008 - 09:05 PM

The blocks aren't always the problem. On the one of mine with the alignment problem, it's the mark on the swing arm that's off.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 27, 2008 - 05:08 AM

The blocks aren't always the problem. On the one of mine with the alignment problem, it's the mark on the swing arm that's off.

R U saying that one of the marks on the swingarm on each of you 06s is in a different spot on the swingarm? 1mm - 2mm? Do you measure the mark from the rear forward on each side to verify?
yep this would cause issues....

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2008 - 07:47 AM

R U saying that one of the marks on the swingarm on each of you 06s is in a different spot on the swingarm? 1mm - 2mm?

Yes.

Do you measure the mark from the rear forward on each side to verify?

No. I laid out the blocks and verified that they agreed with each other as to where their marks are in relation to the axle hole. I also reversed them L/R and got the same result. The measurement from the rear forward would not be as important as that from the pivot back to the mark.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:09 AM

You need to machine one of these with some gaps so it can be used with the chain installed, then sell them. If you did, I would buy one and I'll bet lots of other people would too! :thumbsup:

[Goose - yea, that's how I did it too.

Posted Image

IMG]Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:36 AM

You need to machine one of these with some gaps so it can be used with the chain installed, then sell them. If you did, I would buy one and I'll bet lots of other people would too! :thumbsup:

http://www.motionpro...alignment_tool/

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 27, 2008 - 10:58 AM

http://www.motionpro...alignment_tool/

Very nice, thanks for the link! Figures MotionPro would make one, they have some nifty tools. Anyone know if the alignment rod is long enough to reach at least mostly up to the front sprocket?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.