~~Best Sounding Pipe. Period~~

20 replies to this topic
  • KappinKool

Posted April 25, 2008 - 04:35 PM

Alright guys, I just picked up an '07 WR450 and it is a beast. I freakin love it. So I have one question for you all. What is the best sounding aftermarket pipe out there. And by best sounding, I mean I want it to sound like a Bell Huey on recon in the bush.

Example Here (need subwoofers):

Okay, maybe not exactly like a Huey but I'm looking to put the 'Thump' back in Thumpers.

I've been told Akrapovic pipes are good but I heard one (albeit over the internet) and it seemed to be more of a growl. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

• pussywhippled

Posted April 25, 2008 - 04:48 PM

Rocket Exhaust...

Best sounding in my opinion and they perform and look awesome as well.

• clark4131

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:38 PM

You are not going to get much love with your question. Loud and thumping is seriously frowned upon by veterans and serious riders, as it's that kind of behavior that gets riding areas shut down. With all the tree huggers flocking to Colorado, you ought to be acutely aware of that...SC

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:57 PM

You are not going to get much love with your question. Loud and thumping is seriously frowned upon by veterans and serious riders, as it's that kind of behavior that gets riding areas shut down. With all the tree huggers flocking to Colorado, you ought to be acutely aware of that...SC

+1 KappinKool.... Loudpipe = Emotional Horse Power = Poser:p

Never been to Colorado but I have lived in WA for 41 years and have probably seen 41 different riding areas get shutdown, a lot of them citing noise as the reason:prof:

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:06 PM

You want your bike to sound like a helicopter?? UM OK....Why? Actually you can put your hand right behind the pipe and it will sound like a chopper.

• Reeper

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:11 PM

Try the FMF Q4 sounds great adds extra power and you will not piss everyone off.

• ANGRYSHERIFF

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:25 PM

+1 to Reeper's comment.

I've got a Q4 on my 07' WR450 and it sounds great, is way quiet, and made a noticable power gain (with proper jetting of course)

• KappinKool

Posted April 26, 2008 - 08:04 AM

Okay let me clarify. I'm NOT looking for a loud pipe, just one with some good sound. I'm acutely aware of the issues surrounding noise. Particularly being in Colorado.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted April 26, 2008 - 09:57 AM

Okay let me clarify. I'm NOT looking for a loud pipe, just one with some good sound. I'm acutely aware of the issues surrounding noise. Particularly being in Colorado.

FMF 4.1 w/ quiet insert will keep you below 96 db. and if you can ride, it will keep you in front of everyone else. Loud pipes only give them treehuggers more fuel. Jeff S

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:45 PM

I'm happy with the noise level on my pipe with the gytr tip. but the sound is more high frequency then other bikes like the honda 250X. A girl I know has one, with the stock exhaust, it has a low rumble to the exhuat that is very satisfying.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Idaho450

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:52 PM

Q4 is quiet and already has the spark arrester....sounds pretty good also...kind of like a helicopter in stealth mode!

• chevytrkn1

Posted April 27, 2008 - 06:25 AM

The dr'd setup with the quite core sounds good

• pcmech2

Posted April 28, 2008 - 04:55 PM

www.Leovinceusa.com

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 28, 2008 - 07:08 PM

The best sounding pipe is the stock pipe with grey wire connected, airbox snorkel in, AIS installed and bike parked n the garage:excuseme: The best sounding bike is the bike that is jetted right and runs real well. The sound it makes is after effect:prof:

• matt4x4

Posted April 30, 2008 - 04:03 AM

As soon as you get the deeper "Thumping" sounds, you're going to create noise problems, you see, bass waves are very long and travel very far unlike midrange or highs which are shorter and fade early, this is why at stoplights, you hear the thump of the kid in the rusted Honda, but can't hear the singer - bass waves also travel through stuff where mids and highs get absorbed (leaves bushes etc).
So essentially, you may have a quiet exhaust, but if it has a deep thump, someone 300 yards away will hear it very clearly, where the 2 stroke revving 12,000 rpm beside you can't be heard at that distance at all.

• igetmykicksona426

Posted April 30, 2008 - 05:01 AM

DSP full system. Unfortunatly they dont make it anymore and I am forced to get another system because mine is on its last leg.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 30, 2008 - 10:58 AM

As soon as you get the deeper "Thumping" sounds, you're going to create noise problems, you see, bass waves are very long and travel very far unlike midrange or highs which are shorter and fade early, this is why at stoplights, you hear the thump of the kid in the rusted Honda, but can't hear the singer - bass waves also travel through stuff where mids and highs get absorbed (leaves bushes etc).
So essentially, you may have a quiet exhaust, but if it has a deep thump, someone 300 yards away will hear it very clearly, where the 2 stroke revving 12,000 rpm beside you can't be heard at that distance at all.

disagree with some of that. maybe you should send it to myth busters?

one major reason why you hear mostly the bass from a thumper car is that they'll have 1000 watts connected to 4 subs and 60 watts to a pair of 6 inch full range speakers.

human ears are most efficient in about the 2khz to 5Khz frequency range. thus it doesn't take much SPL for people to hear that range. 80hz at 100dbs is not going to sound as loud to you as 100dbs at 4K. just look at the graph in the provided link

I did a google:
http://personal.city...ec/frequenc.htm

my experience riding in the hills is that the high frequencies from a loud pipe echo and is very annoying.

it is true that the lower frequency can "penetrate" a house. but that is because the sound waves couple with the walls of the house. so when you are in your house and you hear the thumper car go by, you are actually hearing your house vibrate.

• matt4x4

Posted April 30, 2008 - 11:51 AM

bass travels through objects higher frequencies reflect/absorb.
leaves in a forest will absorb/disperse the higher frequencies but do almost nothing to the lower frequencies.
When I was young and foolish and had $$ for sound equipment, I too had a good stereo - however, it was balanced, so the 1000/60 Watt doesn't apply - and when you rolled up the windows you DIDN'T hear the mid/highs nearly as much as the bass which you continued to hear clear as day.
The the other problem with bass waves is you feel them which makes them SEEM louder than they are.
You may not hear the 80hz at 100dB, but you'll feel it, thus giving the illusion of it being louder.
I've never ridden in hills where echos may be, just flat land, and 2 stroke sound dissipates very fast over distance, 4 stroke thumps don't.
Also, it's all relative to distance, yes, at 1m (3ft), higher frequencies at the same DB may be more audible, however, at 1m you won't hear much bass no matter what DB it's pushing since it takes at least 1/4 wave length for you to hear sound, since the avg bass wave (20-100hz) length is 28 feet give or take a couple, you should be 7 feet or 2+m away from the source before you really start to hear the bass, this is why we have all the fancy cabinet designs such as 3rd order bandpass etc where you're using the box to create the illusion of being a distance away from the sub and you'll get a lot of bass in a 3 foot p/u truck cab because it is giving you 1/4 wave length at the port of the sub box, not 7 feet away.

I can hear the thumper start any given day that lives at the other side of town (small town), sometimes from inside the house, but I don't hear all the kids on 2 strokes until they are within sight.
I hear my neighbour start his thumper, he hears me start mine, we come out to greet each other, the kids on their 2 strokes haven't a clue until they see each other riding them.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 30, 2008 - 01:43 PM

bass travels through objects higher frequencies reflect/absorb.
leaves in a forest will absorb/disperse the higher frequencies but do almost nothing to the lower frequencies..

"bass" doesn't really travel thru anything, its just air motion. it won't travel thru a vacuum for example. it will vibrate things with a sypathetic natural frequency.

anything that gets vibrated by the "bass" is disipating its energy. thus it is absorbed.

• ANGRYSHERIFF

Posted May 01, 2008 - 10:20 AM

Back on topic now.... get the Q4 :eek:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.