need help identifying Husqvarna however

18 replies to this topic
  • 27rich

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hello, i have just bought (from auction and Cheep) a Husqvarna and have no idea what model, year, capacity or anything else about it, however I am unable to post any pics:banghead: , can some one help me in figuring out how to post pics, so we can get on with identifying whatever I have got.
Thanks Rich

• new_rydr

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:36 AM

Sure. All you have to do is go to an imagehoster site like photobucket.com or imageshack.com(I personally use photobucket). Make an account and upload your pics. Then copy the image address after you've uploaded the pic.

• 27rich

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:30 AM

thanks new_rydr,

Hello, new to this forum and I have just bought Husqvarna and not sure what year, model, size or anything about it. I have done the internet search to try and track down or look for pictures but found nothing conclusive, also I am unable to locate any identifying numbers on either the frame, engine. I have today however pulled down the engine as there was a knocking noise and have come across some number on top of the piston which was 510 with 093 underneath it also found 69,69. furthermore found 1512357 stamped on top of the triple clamp. Here are some photos of the bike, the first one is of the bike as i bought it minus the seat and tank as i had already taken them off and the second one is of what the tank and seat look like, again however as can be seen in the second photo the seat and tank do not line up so either one or even both may not be original. Speaking of original I also don’t think the front mud guard is original.
Any input would be muchly appreciated as without knowing what the hell I have bought I cant do anything about fixing it up.
Thanks Rich

links to pics, hope this works, please let me know if it does not?

http://s282.photobuc...nav_album_album

• HuskyRips

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:13 AM

First the swing arm and frame are from CR Motocrosser from between 1982 and 1984

The plastic tank fuel tank is off of a 1984 WR250 which was the only year that they used that fuel tank. (1985 was water cooled, 1984 was air cooled and 1983 was metal fuel tank)

White Forks are from 1983 through 1985 model year Huskys, but they look like CR or XC forks and same for the rear shocks. WR's had shorter overhangs on the bottom of the fork.

Engine could be from any Air Cooled Husky model year 1980 to 1985 model.
250cc to 500cc

My gut reaction is that it's a 1983 or 1984 XC 250 or CR 250 with a 1984 WR250 gas tank and WR rear fender.

HuskyRips

• 27rich

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

thanks HuskyRips, sounds like I got a real mixed case,

Anyway I have measured the bore and stroke today and the measurments are as such
Stroke 68mm
Bore 69mm
now these numbers are rough due to my equipment, however now using this formula
3.1415926 * 3.4cm * 3.4cm * 6.9cm=250.58cc
I hope this is correct, can some one verify this for me.
pitty I was hoping for 400-500cc, o'well

Now HuskyRips did you mean the engine could from 1980-1985, if so when ordering parts are there any diferences between these years regarding piston, rings, big end, CDI unit.

Thanks Rich

• Joe Chod

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

To add to what Rips said,
ITC shocks would indicate a 83 or 84. rear frame loop indicates a WR or XC. Cant tell from photo any of the dimensions that would set it off. As said the lower fork overhang was reduced to prevent woods rut drag but not until 84 and only on the WR. Big diff from 83 to 84 was seat, tank side panels and the rake was pulled in from 30 to 28.5. The gap on seat looks like an 83 CR seat on an 84 tank. I say 83 because in 83 seat were color coordinated; WR was black, XC was yellow, and CR was Blue. In 84 they all went to the blue seat.

Grind away some of that horrible red paint (I know you didn’t do it but.) on the right side of the frame up near the steering stem column (about half way between the top and bottom. The ID #’s are stamped in so you can’t grind em off but be careful too. Heres the easy part………All 83 and 84’s used same prefix CO was CR’s, WO was WR’s and XO was XC’s. 83 started with any one of those prefixes and then had from 00001 to 09999. 84’s were same but had from 10001 to 19999.

http://community.web.../46872213tSgKCT

check these photos for some further assistance

84 WR250 was not the only 84 to use that tank so did WR500 in 84 as well as the XC lineup too and the CR 500 too

Could be either 83 or 84 XC or 83 WR. (due to forks as Rips already said) CR is out as it has the rear fender loop. I am doing an 83 and an 84 now so have gotten familiar again as I owned one of each new back then but who remembers???
Cheers,
Joe

• HuskyT

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:44 AM

Rear brake backer plate is CR style... so is the swingarm

What is the PN" cast in the front fork leg......

Rear frame loop is xc or wr

This bike looks like a halfbreed......

Can you post up a pick of the other side of the front wheel? Does it have DLS on it?

Does the engine have any ID tag on it by the CS sprocket..?

T

• HuskyRips

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

thanks HuskyRips, sounds like I got a real mixed case,

Anyway I have measured the bore and stroke today and the measurments are as such
Stroke 68mm
Bore 69mm
now these numbers are rough due to my equipment, however now using this formula
3.1415926 * 3.4cm * 3.4cm * 6.9cm=250.58cc
I hope this is correct, can some one verify this for me.
pitty I was hoping for 400-500cc, o'well

Now HuskyRips did you mean the engine could from 1980-1985, if so when ordering parts are there any diferences between these years regarding piston, rings, big end, CDI unit.

Thanks Rich

Yes I meant 1980 to 1985... the 500 XC was still air cooled in 85.

HuskyRips

• HuskyRips

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:01 AM

To add to what Rips said,
ITC shocks would indicate a 83 or 84. rear frame loop indicates a WR or XC.

Joe, you might be right... http://www.huskyclub.com/83250CR.htm I thought all twin shockers had the rear frame loop I guess I was wrong.

On the 80s thru 87s... only the CRs had floating rear breaks.

I believe the WR and XC had quick pull rear wheels and there wouldn't have been a floating rear break.

HuskyRips

• HuskyRips

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:14 AM

This might be helpful: http://www.huskyclub.com/model.htm

It's a frame serial number chart for most model year Huskys!

HuskyRips

• 27rich

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:24 AM

Well thanks to all those that have replied and helped me discover that the bike is a bitsa, anyway I have found the frame code (without rubbing of that paint) it looks like XC08944, however as there is no such model it should be XO08944, thus I am confident that I have in my hands a 1983 250XC.:p

Once again thanks to all that helped.:eek:
Rich

• Joe Chod

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:20 AM

XO0 does indeed indicate an 83 WR but the engine # would enote the year of the motor since all size 83 XC's used the same frame. There is a possibility it is not an 83 motor but probably as frames and engines tend to stay together unless of catastrophic evvents over the years.

Good luck and there is a great vintage guy in Australia, of there was as I did hear one of the 2 patnres passed away a short time ago

Joe

• 27rich

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

now that I know what I have got does anyone have a good picture and any information on the 83 250XC. so I have a better idea on what it will take to restore.
Thanks Rich

• HuskyT

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

pics lifted from ebay! Here ya go!

83 250 XC note rear frame loop over rear fender.... common to WR and XC ( not CR) Also note solid mount brake stay arm going to weld tab under swingarm.
Posted Image
Brake backer plate XC style ( note that on your red frame bike you have a CR style mated with and XC frame) The CR used a floating brake backer plate and brake stay. The XC used a soild mounted brake stay arm that tucked up into a bracket welded under the swingarm
Posted Image

T

• Joe Chod

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

83 XC should have a yellow seat for sure though...repo covers are cheap and common....tank is expensive as well as the graphics.trust me I did it 2 X already
Joe

• 27rich

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

nice bike HuskyT and thanks for the pic, am still ringing around to get quotes on parts needed.

Joe chod, talking about seats and there colours earlier recovering will not be a problem, if going by what you described my blue seat would have come off an old CR, my question is are all the seats regardless of colour the same size, shape etc, So therefore to look original all that I should need to do is recover it yellow.
Thanks Rich

• HuskyT

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

nice bike HuskyT and thanks for the pic, am still ringing around to get quotes on parts needed.

Joe chod, talking about seats and there colours earlier recovering will not be a problem, if going by what you described my blue seat would have come off an old CR, my question is are all the seats regardless of colour the same size, shape etc, So therefore to look original all that I should need to do is recover it yellow.
Thanks Rich

Not my bike... I just stole the image from ebay! But it is a nice bike.... seats were all the same shape from 1980 thru 83 - not sure about 84 ( my late model 79 works hybrid restoration also had the new seat style on an MM frame bike!

Note that the plastic base on the 1980 was made from a crappy plastic that cracked out a alot... problem was corrected on 81 to a more durable plastic...

Seats are all the same 80 to 83 ... just recover with yellow for a "correct " XC look.
T

• Joe Chod

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

Rich
check these guys out. They are in your neck of the woods too!
http://www.huskyparts.com.au/

Joe
Seat foam same 80-83 as is base shape but base shape strenghtened in 82 due to forementioned cracking problems so stay away from an 80 seat base if possible. 84 seat base is same to as the "gap" was filled by a larger foam in 84 and the 83 and 84 side panels look the same at first but are different shape where the fronts "belnd" into the tank. 83 (metal) vs. 84 (plastic)

• 27rich

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

thanks guys looks like i just be getting the seat recovered then.
Thanks Rich

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.