Vapor Lock

5 replies to this topic
  • jef

Posted April 24, 2008 - 08:06 PM

I have a 2.6 gal. Clarke gas tank, Clarke gas cap with an anodized al. breather cap. Got vapor lock last Sunday racing..............kept stalling. Has anyone experienced this problem?

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Vapor lock in motorcycles is extremely rare. It occurs when the fuel in the lines leading to the carb evaporates in the lines at such a high rate that bubbles of vapor are formed and block the flow of fuel.

It's rare because motorcycle fuel lines are very seldom made of metal, and are very seldom exposed to the kind of heat automotive fuel lines are, what with being out in the open and such.

On the other hand, if your tank doesn't vent well enough, it can stop the fuel flow if a strong enough vacuum forms. But you can check for that by letting the open fuel line drain into a gas can and see if the flow is continuous. If it slows, open the cap. If that speeds it up, you have your culprit.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 25, 2008 - 04:35 AM

It is rare to hear of vaopr lock in a bike, actually I don't think I've ever heard of the case. Are you sure that's what's happening? Maybe your float is just getting stuck closed, or the filter screen in the fuel tank is clogged up?

Along those lines, I saw in dirt rider that some of the pro teams are running heat reflective tape on the bottom of the gas tank and sides of the carb. Something about boiling the fuel in the tank and carb, and I think it was a Kawasaki team they used for the example but I don't remember for sure.. Not many of us get the bikes as hot as a pro would, but if you really think you're having heat related problems them maybe that would help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:17 AM

Vapor lock in motorcycles is extremely rare. It occurs when the fuel in the lines leading to the carb evaporates in the lines at such a high rate that bubbles of vapor are formed and block the flow of fuel.

It's rare because motorcycle fuel lines are very seldom made of metal, and are very seldom exposed to the kind of heat automotive fuel lines are, what with being out in the open and such.

On the other hand, if your tank doesn't vent well enough, it can stop the fuel flow if a strong enough vacuum forms. But you can check for that by letting the open fuel line drain into a gas can and see if the flow is continuous. If it slows, open the cap. If that speeds it up, you have your culprit.

This happened to me on my IMS tank there was no hole drilled for the vent. The bike would run for a while then run out of gas and die.:thumbsup:

• jmckinney

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:07 AM

The same problem happened to my buddy... He had his $20 billet aluminum breather that was full of dirt and would not allow the tank to flow correctly... Go back to the tube and elminate the problem... just my $.02

• jef

Posted April 25, 2008 - 04:01 PM

Yes, I'm sure that was the problem. Another guy at the race rounded his counter sprocket teeth off, quite early. I used his gas cap............ bingo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.