Exhaust Gas Analyzer

7 replies to this topic
  • Gary Murray

Posted April 24, 2008 - 05:27 PM

The local dealer uses an exhaust gas analyzer for jetting. Nobody here has a dyno for motorcycles. Is the exhaust gas method as good? Is it worth $100 to get the jetting done this way?

• CISCO

Posted April 24, 2008 - 08:47 PM

Its all about how its used. Yes you can jet a bike flawlessly with an EGA or even without.

I can typically jet bikes flawlessly with a box of jets and needls, screw driver, allen and socket set, needle nose pliers..............for that matter........in a field...with the bike on a milk crate. All with no EGA, no Dyno.

Id be more concerned about WHO is jetting your bike than what machine he uses to verify his results. The tools are definately helpful, usually more for diagnostics, but also to verify your jetting results.

Ive seen alot of wasted $300.00 dyno runs because the tuner was...not a tuner after all:prof:

• matt4x4

Posted April 25, 2008 - 05:17 AM

you can jet a bike perfectly with the above tools, a good ear and a couple of extra spark plugs if you want to go as far as doing a plug chop.
Did mine last night runs like a dream now.

• WR450RICKO

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:28 AM

Had mine fine tuned on the EGA by a race shop and it made huge gains. General motorcycle shops normally don't have a tech savvy guy who came operate it correctly. It Usually is a kid who likes to replace things oppose to analyzing and repairing. My2cents

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450SM

Posted April 25, 2008 - 01:28 PM

It will only help with your pilot circuit at idle unless you can ride the bike with the EGA installed.....not likely.....that is why dynos were invented!

Basically, I would not be very happy to spend $100 for the pilot circuit alone, considering that the performance of your bike while riding is controlled by the other circuits of the carb.

Just my .02

• GCannon

Posted April 25, 2008 - 01:54 PM

I had one at my Auto shop. It was great for dialing in the idle circut. without a dyno idle is all it is good for. $100 for a dyno EGA run with jetting and a dyno run to confirm results sound like a good deal to me. However the altitude you ride should be similar to the altitude (and temperture) of the dyno or you will miss your target.

there is no magic jetting pill. done correctly it is tedious work even after getting close with a dyno run. You will still be making fine adjustments a little at a time over a period of months. Depending on your technical skills and your pickyness. in the end (for me) worth every headache.:thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted April 25, 2008 - 01:57 PM

BTW after adjusting the idle for peak carbon dioxide output and minimum oxygen and HC (hydrocarbon) My old beast started much easier which is important with no button.

• William1

Posted April 25, 2008 - 03:37 PM

I had a bung welding in all my head pipes. I use a Dynojet Wideband Commander. It has the capability to log as you ride. A switch turns the logger on, I record the bike at various steady throttle positions under load, analyze with my PC. One rune to get the A/F of the current set up, some basic math to arrive at new jetting settings, I change to match and another ride to confirm. Takes me under an hour to do, I get to go for a couple of rides (sadly, I have to show restraint, do not want the AP to through me off track). Once you own the logger, your only costs are bungs and installation (about $30.00 installed each)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.