03 450 locked up

16 replies to this topic
  • tf705

Posted April 24, 2008 - 10:43 AM

went for a little ride today. i was getting it pretty good in 3rd gear when the bike stalled and locked right up. tried kicking it and it wouldnt budge a bit. i pushed it home. i pulled the oil dipstick and oil just started pouring out like there was pressure behind it. what the hell happened? the oil wasnt over filled. i had checked it before i went for a ride. why would the oil pour out of the dipstick hole?

• 642MX

Posted April 24, 2008 - 10:49 AM

went for a little ride today. i was getting it pretty good in 3rd gear when the bike stalled and locked right up. tried kicking it and it wouldnt budge a bit. i pushed it home. i pulled the oil dipstick and oil just started pouring out like there was pressure behind it. what the hell happened? the oil wasnt over filled. i had checked it before i went for a ride. why would the oil pour out of the dipstick hole?

Are you 100% positive you didn't over-fill the oil? I've done it on my wifes bike. The oil will come out of the hole like its pressurized. Thank heavens that I didn't run it long like that. Because over filling them (significantly over filling them) will cause the oil to foam which is probably why your crank is locked up.

• tf705

Posted April 24, 2008 - 10:59 AM

when i checked it before i rode it was just a little below the full mark. so will it free up after it sits awhile?

• tf705

Posted April 24, 2008 - 11:23 AM

i guese it had to be over filled. so are my crank bearings ruined? i just bought this bike 3 weeks ago. i cant afford to be doing a bottom end.

• 642MX

Posted April 24, 2008 - 12:30 PM

i guese it had to be over filled. so are my crank bearings ruined? i just bought this bike 3 weeks ago. i cant afford to be doing a bottom end.

More often than not, when a four stroke locks up its the big end bearing on the rod. Sometimes (most of the time) it trashes the cylinder, piston, crank, and main bearings. Its not a cheap repair.

• x2468

Posted April 24, 2008 - 12:34 PM

omg..... that really sucks. i hope you don't need a lower end rebuild. but from my knowledge if your bike locks up the bearing is bad. my kx250 locked up, and when i finally got it free it would start but knock like crazy because the big side bearing was now shot. i really hope your cylinder is okay too. because mine chewed up the cylinder cuz the i guess the bearing was wobbling the piston.

how are you with mechanics? if you can, take the head and cylinder off and look down at the crank. see if the con rod has a lot of side to side play and rotate the crank slowly to see if it turns smoothly and without any clicking.

• tf705

Posted April 24, 2008 - 01:48 PM

im actually a certified auto mechanic. but im new to these four strokes. im going to tear in down this weekend. but im thinking that i will be buying a new crank and piston. im thinking the cylinder will be ok but who knows.

• sparkyz

Posted April 24, 2008 - 02:24 PM

It's not a very difficult job IMO. I had never had a bottom end apart but then bought an 03 with a seized crank. I think my crank ran me about $250 and although the piston was fine I decided to get a new one. The total in parts plus having a shop inspect the head and cut new seats and reassemble the head was about $500. just pick up a service manual and you should be able to do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2008 - 03:39 PM

If you are certain that you did not over fill it (which seems very likely, really), what may have happened is the feed oil pump may have failed, or if you have a Ready Racing oil filter cover, you may have installed the filter backwards and cut off the oil to the engine. In either case, the return pump would keep functioning and put any oil in the crankcase back in the frame.

Overfilling usually happens when you forget to run the engine before checking the oil, then add more thinking it's low.

• tf705

Posted April 24, 2008 - 07:49 PM

well ive been looking at parts. how good are the wiseco cranks? should i just buy a stroker crank for the extra $80 dollars?

• 642MX

Posted April 25, 2008 - 05:43 AM

well ive been looking at parts. how good are the wiseco cranks? should i just buy a stroker crank for the extra $80 dollars?

I would go with OEM stuff. Try this site: http://www.crotchrocket.com

• Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2008 - 10:46 AM

depends on what you are trying to accomplish....
if the goal is to get it back together stock - go oem
if the goal is to make it better/faster then look at different kits for larger bore and stroke.
here is the best:
http://www.ronhamp.com/default.aspx

or look at Athena, Luke Racing for Bigbore kits

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 11:16 AM

Stroker cranks cause a cascade of complication that must be dealt with. When the stroke is increased, the piston travels farther, which means, in a 2mm stroker, that it travels up 1mm farther than before. So, something needs to be different. In automotive engines, the simplest and most common thing done is to use special pistons with the wrist pins moved higher. Alternatively, shorter rods are used. Neither of these solutions will really work very well in YZ450/426, and only a few specialty builders make such parts.

The solution is usually to use a shim plate to raise the cylinder 1mm, but that raises the head, which can mean the timing chain is hard to install, and you may need a manual chain tensioner.

If you aren't committed to spending a lot of time and money on a project like this, you're better off using OEM replacements (try TT OEM), or use a big bore kit as GA suggested.

• motomartin

Posted April 25, 2008 - 06:23 PM

i have a 04 yz 450 and it locked up on me. what happened was the intake cam seized and wiped out my intake valves. i also found out my water pump seal went out. i put in new valves and a new cam and it seems to work fine now.

• bigc

Posted April 25, 2008 - 07:52 PM

OR you could say screw all that and i will sell you my 03! im ready for a two stroke again.good luck on your rebuild that really sucks i have used the wiesco cranks in the two strokes they have been good for me.

• tf705

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:10 PM

i tore it apart today and am kinda confused? the crank bearings and crank seemed fine but im still not sure. the cylinder is still fine too. the crank seemed to walk to the right a little bit. the end of the right side of the crank dug into the side case. it seemed really weird! so im wondering if the crank bearings are bad. but they turn fine. im still trying to figure it out. i will post pics tomarro.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 08:48 PM

Check to see if all the screws that hold the bering retainers in place are where they belong.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.