Sand in oil filter

11 replies to this topic
  • 525rider

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:06 AM

I just did 4th oil change on my 08 YZ 450 and found quite a bit of sand in the oil filter, that's just great!:thumbsup:

• XRYoda

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:15 AM

your oil breather may be picking it up??? Re rout it to your airbox and put a filter on the end of it. That sucks......

• Dano426

Posted April 24, 2008 - 09:56 AM

+1 on the breather hose

I have never seen a filter on the end of the breather hose. Any Pics or links?

• DPW

Posted April 24, 2008 - 04:13 PM

+1 on the breather hose

I have never seen a filter on the end of the breather hose. Any Pics or links?

read through this thread.... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=330758

• XRYoda

Posted April 24, 2008 - 04:21 PM

I got the filter from an auto parts store, it is ment to go in a cars airbox, I think that it is either for the PVC valve or the crank case breather hose. I think it was $3, just find one that will fit on the end of your hose.
Using a hose long enough to reach your airbox is probably long enough to stop sand or dust.. I just dont want to take a chance.

• nap__kxf

Posted April 24, 2008 - 04:41 PM

I got the filter from an auto parts store, it is ment to go in a cars airbox, I think that it is either for the PVC valve or the crank case breather hose. I think it was $3, just find one that will fit on the end of your hose.
Using a hose long enough to reach your airbox is probably long enough to stop sand or dust.. I just dont want to take a chance.

honestly i wouldn't care if it was $50, after reading that thread about the guy spent 3 days in the dunes and ruined his bike...a $3,000 rebuild. i don't want to take my bike to the dunes ever again haha :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rptup

Posted April 24, 2008 - 08:13 PM

honestly i wouldn't care if it was $50, after reading that thread about the guy spent 3 days in the dunes and ruined his bike...a $3,000 rebuild. i don't want to take my bike to the dunes ever again haha :thumbsup:

I ride the sand dunes alot probably every other weekend in the summer if im not riding tracks or desert, and have spent many weekend holidays 5 day trips riding all day every single day in the dunes and i never have problems.

• _JoNeS_

Posted April 25, 2008 - 04:20 AM

half way down this page has a step by step of what to do.

http://www.thumperta...t=330758&page=2

• Ga426owner

Posted April 25, 2008 - 07:12 AM

I have seen some riders reroute this breather tube down the frame under the skid plate/cut slightly shorter,(to avoid sand sucking) with good results or into the airbox (mainly to avoid water)......All the sand should be gone after a couple of oil changers...and be glad you did not get water in the motor, that is a lot of fun to deal with.

• Dano426

Posted April 25, 2008 - 07:27 AM

read through this thread.... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=330758

Thank for the info.

• tonypitcock79

Posted April 25, 2008 - 10:15 AM

dont't understand the whole breather tube in airbox thing,thought that motors liked cool air as opposed to hot air comming from a motor that is 200 degrees

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2008 - 11:04 AM

What do you think the net volume of air flowing out of the breather is?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.