Solving overheating in the slow stuff

30 replies to this topic
  • tonymiller

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:19 AM

Thanks, Kilt, (with that avatar, not sure I want to get behind you, [or in front for that matter!])
TM :)

• witdogg

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:43 PM

So I have to curse to finally get someone to talk back to me huh. Oh by the way RADRick this is not a two wheel problem. It was a question about a four stroke motor. WOW what a bunch of smart people on this site. Good luck asking eachother questions all day long and having no one smart enough to answer them. Have fun going in circles boys.

• MotoGoalie

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:16 AM

So I have to curse to finally get someone to talk back to me huh. Oh by the way RADRick this is not a two wheel problem. It was a question about a four stroke motor. WOW what a bunch of smart people on this site. Good luck asking eachother questions all day long and having no

And you have a golf cart....big fun there... :)

• Frostbite

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:52 AM

One cause of overheating in the slow stuff is the pipe heating the bottom of the right side radiator. I was having problems with my bike and used an infrared camera to try to find some solutions. I found that the lower reservoir of the right rad was smoking hot and actually heating the coolant instead of vice versa. My rad was bent and a bit closer to the pipe than it should’ve been. I bent it away and the temp dropped right away. In this pic you can see that the bottom of the rad is hotter than the rest. ( white is hotter than the set camera range and black is colder tha the set range.) I put reflective muffler tape on the tank and now the rad heats up evenly like the left rad.

• RADRick

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:28 AM

So I have to curse to finally get someone to talk back to me huh. Oh by the way RADRick this is not a two wheel problem. It was a question about a four stroke motor. WOW what a bunch of smart people on this site. Good luck asking eachother questions all day long and having no one smart enough to answer them. Have fun going in circles boys.

If someone had the answers to your questions, they would have posted them, but since this is a motorcycle forum I'm sure there was some hesitance to try and extrapolate their knowledge to fit your quads needs. If you hadn't insulted the forum and been a little more patient, I would have taken a stab at it since I do know the answers (I ride ATVs, as well). But you chose to be a jerk so you got the same in return. Like I said, don't let the door... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KiltLifter

Posted June 10, 2005 - 10:04 AM

Frostbite,
Oh yeah, bring SCIENCE into it :D Really though, cool pic, some boys have ALL the toys! . Would pipe wrap (like our golf-cart buddy suggested) help keep that rad cool ? That would be cheaper than the fan I was planning to install (much of my riding will be with an ATV so I expect a lot-o-hot) .

Have you had any problem keeping the heat shield stuff in place? I ask because I would worry about the radiator heat softening the adhesive. Is it auto parts store stuff (where do you get it)? I plan to use some under my gas tank (my gas was actually boiling last trip :) ) and will try your rad trick at the same time.

And contrary to some newbie opinions :D , I have plucked DOZENS of jems of wisdom from this forum. It also helped me pick the right bike. Thanks folks. :)

• Frostbite

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:23 PM

Frostbite,
Oh yeah, bring SCIENCE into it :D Really though, cool pic, some boys have ALL the toys! . Would pipe wrap (like our golf-cart buddy suggested) help keep that rad cool ? That would be cheaper than the fan I was planning to install (much of my riding will be with an ATV so I expect a lot-o-hot) .

Have you had any problem keeping the heat shield stuff in place? I ask because I would worry about the radiator heat softening the adhesive. Is it auto parts store stuff (where do you get it)? I plan to use some under my gas tank (my gas was actually boiling last trip :) ) and will try your rad trick at the same time.

And contrary to some newbie opinions :D , I have plucked DOZENS of jems of wisdom from this forum. It also helped me pick the right bike. Thanks folks. :)

Header wrap would probably work better than tape on the rad to protect the rad from exhaust heat. I bought a roll of metal duct tape under 10 bucks. The tape lasts for a couple of weeks, then I just replace it. It looses it’s ability to reflect heat as it gets dull and dirty so replacing once in a while is a good idea.
I have a 4 gallon tank and it gets hot too. I thought that the saddlebag section hanging down by the pipe would be the hottest part but you can see in this pic that it’s hotter up by the frame. I guess the heat gets funneled up and trapped under the bottom of the tank. The other side looks uniform. Tape on the tank would help, but not as much as on the rad. The tape on the rad reflects radiated heat from the pipe, the bottom of the tank is heated by convection where the tape is less effective.
A quick way to understand radiated heat and reflective surfaces – see if you have a frying pan with a shiny bottom side and a dark cooking surface. Heat it up on the stove. Pick the pan up by the handle and hold you free hand beside it near the black side, you don’t have to get too close to feel heat. Now flip the pan over and hold your hand beside the shiny side, you almost have to touch it to feel the heat. Shiny surfaces don’t let heat in or out very well. Colored or dull surfaces do the opposite.

• Conan_'dale

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:50 PM

Frostbite,

Great info...

Check out your 7:52AM post. The picture under "left Rad" there is a man's face in the infrared section. Lower right corner between the numbers 141.0 and 65.1. He's wearing sunglasses, you can see the face w/ a crew cut. Maybe I'm just crazy :)

• Frostbite

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Frostbite,

Great info...

Check out your 7:52AM post. The picture under "left Rad" there is a man's face in the infrared section. Lower right corner between the numbers 141.0 and 65.1. He's wearing sunglasses, you can see the face w/ a crew cut. Maybe I'm just crazy :)

Or it could be Mary of Magdallen with sunglasses, or it could just be the left side of the cylinder head. :)

• KiltLifter

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:31 PM

I think it's Elvis :)

Thanks for the extra info.

• RichBaker

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:15 PM

A quad engine in a golf cart and you're asking questions in a 2-wheeler forum....the WR4xx forum IS a 2-wheeler forum! Go to a quad forum if you want answers.... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.