Solving overheating in the slow stuff

30 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 05, 2001 - 05:08 AM

Last year at the New Hampshire Cistic Fibrosis Dual Sport ride, some of us got bogged down in some nasty stuff, and our WR's, and DRZ,s overheated, and lost fluid. My DRZ buddy talked to the Suzuki support guy's, and they told him to go to a 1.2lb radiator cap instead of the standard 1.1lb,(same as the stock 99 WR's), and get somw "Wet Water" additive. Bought some Wet Water, and we are looking for 1.2lb rad caps. Just want to know if anyone has done this, or might want to. Ron S.

• tripm

Posted February 05, 2001 - 06:53 AM

I have used water wetter in my roadrace bike before. Not really because I needed it, just because the guy I was with used it all the time and recommended it.
When does that ride take place? Is that the one that happens during bike week?

Mark

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 05, 2001 - 07:42 AM

Ron S,
Are you in NH? I am interested in this ride .

• jj

Posted February 05, 2001 - 08:25 AM

Hey guys, I seem to remember hearing that a KX 500 radiator cap has been recommended for the WR. Please don’t take this for granted, but it may be a place to start investigating...

------------------
JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• Steve_Morgan

Posted February 05, 2001 - 11:48 AM

I ride with 3 WR's, my '99, a '00, and a '01. We all run the KX500 cap, no reservoirs, and no water wetter (although that might still be a good idea). The radiators end up about 1/2" down from the top, and that's where they run. If you add more antifreeze, it leaks out to the same level every ride.
I got into a similar dual sport event at Sequoia last year, where it took us 3 hours to cover 7 miles in an extremely rough canyon. No boil over. The only time I've seen one boil over was when a bike was left idling for over 5 minutes at high elevation.

• jj

Posted February 05, 2001 - 12:20 PM

Hey Steve, thanks for the confirmation. So you ditched your overflow. I haven't thought much about removing mine, but the fact that you're running the KX cap and having success makes me wonder...
What all did you have to do to get rid of it?

------------------
JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• WR400inOZ

Posted February 05, 2001 - 09:16 PM

Damn the things throw out some heat when in the really tight slow stuff! Was riding last weekend..36 degree day... I thought my legs where going to catch on fire! :)

• SFO

Posted February 08, 2001 - 08:22 PM

A kawasaki kx65 2000 model has a 1.8 rad cap.
I use this without a catch bottle on my 01wr426 with out any problems.
When I first pulled the catch bottle off it would whistle dixie...
Now it hasn't overheated since.

• witdogg

Posted May 22, 2005 - 10:27 PM

Hello, I have a 2001 Raptor 660 motor in my golf cart. It seems to be running hot. Does anyone now what the temperature of the header pipes should be?

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 23, 2005 - 01:44 AM

Evans NPG-R coolant with the stock low pressure cap and overflow tank(expansion bottle for NPG-R) and Two2Cool oil additive works very well in low speed technical riding on hot days. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slowmotion426

Posted May 23, 2005 - 01:46 AM

...good info guys... :)

• Texas4play

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:04 AM

I've been running stock cap, no jug, and water wetter mixed with 100% distilled water and it's been good so far. Level stays at about half inch below filler neck. I still get nervous about it and might go back to the jug and some Evans for added piece of mind.

• witdogg

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:17 AM

Has anyone ever used "header wrap" (that stuff you see on hot rods) on the exhaust system of a Raptor 660. Would that help on keeping the temp down?

• witdogg

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:20 AM

Also, would running no air filters make it run lean, and then in turn run hot?

• witdogg

Posted June 08, 2005 - 07:13 PM

This Site ****ing Sucks

• RADRick

Posted June 08, 2005 - 08:17 PM

This Site ****ing Sucks

Considering that you asked about your 4-wheeler in a 2-wheeler forum, I have to wonder, what did you expect? :) Don't let the door...

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted June 08, 2005 - 08:19 PM

Don't let the door...

:) :) :D :D :D :D :D :worthy: :D ;) :D ;) :banana: Good one Rick

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted June 08, 2005 - 08:21 PM

This Site ****ing Sucks

Yeah, youre right, you better go to a much better site far far away. :)

• tonymiller

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:19 AM

Nice, Wit,
You got at least one to bite.....

Seriously, this is probably the single most helpful site I have ever hit. My 03 WR450 is just a bit more complicated than my DR175 was....

Being new here, is there a thread on about upcoming rides, formal or informal? As limited as we are in the Front Range [Colorado], it would be nice to see where the rest of the degenerates are collecting [quoting my sarcastic, neglected spouse] I am willing to travel to surrounding states to see some different terrrain [and just get out of the house] No MX, just some good cross country stuff...

• KiltLifter

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Tony,
Try the Rocky Mountain forum (near the bottom of the forums page). There always seems to be a Front range ride or 2 there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.