'07 450 timing chain replacement

13 replies to this topic
  • chan470

Posted April 23, 2008 - 03:57 PM

I'm replacing timing chain on bike. When I opened up engine I realized I was on tooth off on the exhaust cam. I had only 13 pins between timing marks. What damage could have been done by being one tooth off? The bike ran great. I reshimmed in July of last yr so I imagined that is when I mis-timed bike. The valve clearances where still in spec.

I have replaced timing chain does this look right?

Posted Image

I know gray has cover this alot but I just want to be sure. Thanks alot! :thumbsup:

• chan470

Posted April 23, 2008 - 04:38 PM

I'm an idiot!! I just realized correct timing for a 450 is 13 pins. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 23, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Once again DO NOT COUNT PINS between cams unless you are timing a 450 cam into a 426 head.

Use the timing marks as shown in the book. And, yes, the correct distance between cams on a 450 is 13 pins, but that is not how they are timed.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 23, 2008 - 09:21 PM

In that picture it looks like 14 pins to me? Am I counting wrong?

• Kasjok

Posted April 23, 2008 - 09:48 PM

I counted also 14 and the exhaust cam seems to be a tooth wrong.

• tnl

Posted April 23, 2008 - 09:55 PM

Once again DO NOT COUNT PINS between cams unless you are timing a 450 cam into a 426 head.

Use the timing marks as shown in the book. And, yes, the correct distance between cams on a 450 is 13 pins, but that is not how they are timed.

Note the above statement!

• grayracer513

Posted April 23, 2008 - 10:41 PM

I counted also 14 and the exhaust cam seems to be a tooth wrong.

The pin count can be used as a backup double-check, but remember that each cam must be timed to the CRANK, and not to each other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chan470

Posted April 24, 2008 - 05:01 AM

yes it is 14 but I moved it from 13. And your correct it is the exhaust cam. Sorry for all the confusion.

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2008 - 05:44 AM

That's OK, I was never confused. :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted April 24, 2008 - 11:36 AM

I laugh every time I see somebody ask the 'pin count' question because I know this is coming from Gray. :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted April 24, 2008 - 11:39 AM

By the way, to further confuse the issue I'm pretty sure that the illustration drawing in the manual incorrectly shows 14 pins between the marks. :thumbsup:

• chan470

Posted April 24, 2008 - 12:28 PM

By the way, to further confuse the issue I'm pretty sure that the illustration drawing in the manual incorrectly shows 14 pins between the marks.

That is exactly how this error began. I was dissembling cams and counted 13 pins @ tdc then looked it up in manual illustration was 14. I freaked out, was going to sell the bike because I had around 6 races since I re-shimmed. I'm glad it was right. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2008 - 02:56 PM

By the way, to further confuse the issue I'm pretty sure that the illustration drawing in the manual incorrectly shows 14 pins between the marks. :thumbsup:

True, but for the literate among us, the text of the manual does not instruct you to count the chain pins, nor note what the count should be.

• todds924

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:39 PM

I'm replacing timing chain on bike. When I opened up engine I realized I was on tooth off on the exhaust cam. I had only 13 pins between timing marks. What damage could have been done by being one tooth off? The bike ran great. I reshimmed in July of last yr so I imagined that is when I mis-timed bike. The valve clearances where still in spec.

I have replaced timing chain does this look right?

Posted Image

I know gray has cover this alot but I just want to be sure. Thanks alot! :thumbsup:

This picture is WRONG!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.