How to bring dead battery back to life?

23 replies to this topic
  • unimog

Posted April 22, 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hi guys,

So guess what - yuasa died. It shows less than 1.9V on the output... I bought battery tender today (I know - right on time) and I thought that I will be able to charge the battery using it... However the red LED is blinking on the BT as an indication of not charging... Now I'm reading that battery has to have no less than 3V on the output in order for BT to work.

Electrical/battery gurus please help - how can I charge this battery?

Again the battery is:

Yuasa YT7B-BS (standard 06 sm)
Battery Tender - Deltran Battery Tender Jr. 12V/750mA

• Arik434

Posted April 22, 2008 - 02:28 PM

If you are getting readings of 1.9V, that battery is junk. Time to buy a new one.

• imarolan

Posted April 22, 2008 - 02:41 PM

If you are getting readings of 1.9V, that battery is junk. Time to buy a new one.

+1

Replace it with a different battery.

• William1

Posted April 22, 2008 - 02:56 PM

Best way to bring that battery back to life is invite your pal over, have him bring his bike. Give him a beer, slip him a ruffie. Swap batteries. Oh yeah, shave off one of his eyebrows. Distract him from the no start of his DRZ. Othwise, you only other option is to replace your battery with anew one.

And no, I am not going to visit nor will I bring a razor and my tools.

• Pondo

Posted April 22, 2008 - 03:00 PM

Follow it through the recycle chain.

• unimog

Posted April 22, 2008 - 03:21 PM

Best way to bring that battery back to life is invite your pal over, have him bring his bike. Give him a beer, slip him a ruffie. Swap batteries. Oh yeah, shave off one of his eyebrows. Distract him from the no start of his DRZ. Othwise, you only other option is to replace your battery with anew one.

And no, I am not going to visit nor will I bring a razor and my tools.

I thought you'd come over to jersey... We have pretty good sandwitches over here, and you don't have to worry about your eyebrows :thumbsup:

Too bad there are no known magic tricks that work (like exchanging the electrolyte solution or something)

William, would you recommend any particular battery brand that is best for the DRZ and won't die after 1 year? Maybe you know good places to buy one...?

Thanks

• William1

Posted April 22, 2008 - 04:10 PM

Zuchettes, corner of Grove and Belville Ave in Montclair. Best Steak and Cheese. Of course, you always have Satrini's in Newark.

Oh, best place to buy a battery. CheapCycleParts.Com has OEM batteries for 10 hogies, I mean $70.00 delivered (Sadly, Zuchettes does not deliver). If you need stuff from the TT store and get the total up to over $80.00, include the battery as they will price match and you'll get free delivery.

• GSBill

Posted April 22, 2008 - 04:26 PM

I go to my local Interstate battery dealer. They have all types of direct fit batteries for your bike, sealed, lead acid, whatever. Great prices in my opinion.

• Noble

Posted April 22, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Original question - recharge may not be possible - but maybe. Best bet is to take it to a shop that has a christe (sp? not the right spelling) battery charger and let them try. At home you need about a 3 amp basic charger with no fancy electronics. Battery tenders are for "tending" not recharging badly discharged batteries.

If it has been discharged for a long time - no chance. If it has a reversed cell - no chance. The reason the battery tender will not work is to protect itself. Badly discharged batteries can have all kinds of things wrong with them.

• vanram

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Put 5ml of plain old water in each cell and charge the hell out of it. No more than 15v or 120 degrees F battery temperature. Give it a try, you may get lucky.:thumbsup: vanram

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • unimog

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:27 PM

Original question - recharge may not be possible - but maybe. Best bet is to take it to a shop that has a christe (sp? not the right spelling) battery charger and let them try. At home you need about a 3 amp basic charger with no fancy electronics. Battery tenders are for "tending" not recharging badly discharged batteries.

If it has been discharged for a long time - no chance. If it has a reversed cell - no chance. The reason the battery tender will not work is to protect itself. Badly discharged batteries can have all kinds of things wrong with them.

Thanks for the reply Noble. :thumbsup:

The bike was in garage since Nov 07 so I kinda had a feeling that the battery will be toast (same thing happened last year, but I was able to charge it and ride whole season)

I already did a little research on battery prices. Here it is (if anyone is interested):

1. $34.06 - YT7B-BS at Battery Giant
2. $43.95 - YT7B-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery at Battery Mart
3. $44.99 - Motor Power No Maintenance Battery CT7BBS at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
4. $46.03 - YT7B-BS Replacement Battery at Technologies
5. $47.00 (free ground shipping) - Scorpion AGM High Performance Powersports Battery (s)YT7B-4 at BatteryStuff.com
6. $58.75 (free shipping) - Yacht CT7B-4 AGM battery at Motorcycle Batteries USA

Oh and here is an interesting fact for all of you that don't know it yet:

According to Yuasa website "due to a constant current drain on vehicle [COLOR="Red"][DRZ][/COLOR], this battery [COLOR="Red"][YT7B-BS][/COLOR] should be maintained on an automatic charger whenever vehicle is not in use". I think Suzuki should either fix faulty electrical system or sell their bikes in a bundle with a battery tender...

• CRF2eR

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hi guys,

So guess what - yuasa died. It shows less than 1.9V on the output... I bought battery tender today (I know - right on time) and I thought that I will be able to charge the battery using it... However the red LED is blinking on the BT as an indication of not charging... Now I'm reading that battery has to have no less than 3V on the output in order for BT to work.

Electrical/battery gurus please help - how can I charge this battery?

Again the battery is:

Yuasa YT7B-BS (standard 06 sm)
Battery Tender - Deltran Battery Tender Jr. 12V/750mA

This just happened to me. I have a battery charger that won't start charging if the battery voltage is too low.
I have a car battery that is only two years old, but had been sitting too long with the car alarm hooked up and had run the battery down too low to start charging with the charger.
Having nothing to lose, I hooked up a good battery with jumper cables to the dead one, and hooked up the charger to it all...It worked great. It's been three weeks now, and the the bad battery is still acting like new. Seems it just needed to get the voltage high enough for the charger to start charging it.
Same thing with my garden tractor last week...
Good luck with it.
Randy

• DRZ04

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:06 PM

I had to charge mine after the first winter with no Tender three times, with a a 2 amp car charger, before it took and after that I have a tender on it anytime it sits for a week or more.

• PopBeavers

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:11 PM

Try a charge cycle twice, once in equalize mode and once in desulfate mode. If that don't do it then replace it.

• hi_im_sean

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:12 PM

with a battery charger

• Ruddy

Posted April 23, 2008 - 07:41 AM

I think Suzuki should either fix faulty electrical system or sell their bikes in a bundle with a battery tender...

It's not a faulty electrical system, there's a small drain due to the digital clocks. Even when the ignition is off. Unplug your clocks and the voltage drain dissapears.

The same thing would happen to a car with a clock, Only you dont notice it due to the slightly larger battery compared to the DRZ one :thumbsup:

• unimog

Posted April 23, 2008 - 07:09 PM

Try a charge cycle twice, once in equalize mode and once in desulfate mode. If that don't do it then replace it.

Thanks man, I'll definitely try that.

• Afflicter

Posted April 23, 2008 - 07:16 PM

*** is up with drz batteries, my bike is less than a year old and i gotta charge it if it sits for 2 days.
meanwhile my 05 gsxr always starts no matter how long it sits :thumbsup:

• Afflicter

Posted April 23, 2008 - 07:20 PM

It's not a faulty electrical system, there's a small drain due to the digital clocks. Even when the ignition is off. Unplug your clocks and the voltage drain dissapears.

The same thing would happen to a car with a clock, Only you dont notice it due to the slightly larger battery compared to the DRZ one :thumbsup:

which plug is it? not like the clock is right anyhow with the battery always dead.
alot of other bikes have clocks and dont have this issue..

• jaxondes

Posted April 23, 2008 - 09:29 PM

I picked up a 05 DRZ this weekend, and the battery was dead. It froze all winter, but I thought I"d give it a shot.

I have a cheap old battery charger, I set it to the two amp setting, and let it sit all night. Its been two weeks, and it started right up!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  65 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

FCR 39mm Carb from TT store - Question by Chubs604

• Hot  58 replies
Forums
Photo

Wheelie discussion by Chubs604

• Hot  136 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.