Smoke coming from bottom of radiator area.

8 replies to this topic
  • Nostalgic

Posted April 22, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi all.

I have some smoke coming out of the bottom of my radiator. It's hard to tell where it's coming from because it's right where the frame hides part of the bottom of the radiator.

I know smoke can come out of that area a bit if you are really working the engine hard but this is happening even when the bike is just barely being ridden. I topped off the coolant and it still happens.

Any ideas? Do I have a cracked radiator?

I know very little about how to work on the bike so really need some diagnostic help here.

I'm distressed about this!

Thanks all,

• jandmsuburban7

Posted April 22, 2008 - 03:21 PM

Where there is smoke there is fire!! That to me would rule out the smoke factor cuz you still have your legs intact. My guess from what you said is that you probably have a very small minor leak that is not big enough for a water molecule but is big enough to steam. Use some super sudsy warm water to spray or dribble on the bottom of your radiator (must be warm to hot or it will cause it to steam) and try to locate some bubbles and then take it to a radiator shop to fix. Good luck, Jason

Posted April 22, 2008 - 04:43 PM

What year is the bike?

• Nostalgic

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:45 PM

Sorry, forgot the details: 2003 WR450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxtherat

Posted April 22, 2008 - 07:27 PM

Kick start side? If so, could be the plug that goes in the head where the decomp. lever was on the 02 and earlier models. Engine oil making smoke.These plugs can come out prtetty easily especially if you crank case breather vent is kinked at all. If this is your problem the TT store sells a really nice alu;minum plug with a seal and the preexisting bolt in the head holds it in place. Hope it is an easy fix.

Posted April 23, 2008 - 04:19 PM

Here,s a couple of pics of what your looking for. I used a 18mm freeze plug to plug the whole which you can get at most auto parts stores for less than a couple of bucks.

• Nostalgic

Posted April 23, 2008 - 06:02 PM

Been slammed with work so can't investigate yet. I'll look this weekend.

It is indeed the kickstart side. So, it could be a loose bolt or something that I need to replace with that freeze plug?

• maxtherat

Posted April 23, 2008 - 06:33 PM

It's just a rubber coated plug that is pushed in the hole where the decomp lever used to go. The bot is on the side of the head and it's purpose was to retain the decomp lever. Now it just fills a hole but, it iis utilized to retain the aluminum plug that I previously mentioned.

Posted April 24, 2008 - 04:13 PM

It is indeed the kickstart side. So, it could be a loose bolt or something that I need to replace with that freeze plug?

Click on the pic links I posted. I've circled the area to look at.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.