Stainless oil filters

7 replies to this topic
  • bustersat

Posted April 22, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Does anyone use the compflo stainless oil filter? Or should I only be looking at the scotts? Compflo says they go down to 35 microns and is a bit cheaper ($50)

• BergArabia

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:01 AM

Yeah I have 2 compflos one for my YZ and one for my CRF.
Probably based on the Scotts design.
Had it in the YZ since 2005.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:34 AM

Comp Flo, if I recall correctly, is the filter that has the bypass valve held together with an Allen set screw so it can be disassembled (God knows why). These set screws have been known to back out. The parts can't cause any damage, and can't escape into the engine, but while the valve is apart, there's no filtering going on, either.

In looking at all of the copy-cats, the most common thing I see is off-shore manufacture, seams that are folded only ( Scotts welds theirs) and a reduced amount of filter media compared with the Scotts. Say what you want, I haven't seen one yet that matches the Scotts overall quality.

The copy-cats sometimes do actually source their mesh media from the same suppliers Scotts uses, but save money by using less of it in their filters (fewer pleats, and/or pleats not as wide). Lower cost components and materials, and lack of ability to oversee the manufacturing process figure into it for me. For the length of time they last (even if you sell the bike and go to a different brand, you can resell the thing), $10-15 doesn't seem like enough to draw me away.

• jrny426

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:41 AM

I ended getting a CRT filter and it comes apart aswell for cleaning they say to use loctite on reassemly this is going to be a pain if cleaned as per instruction not to mention the possibilty of loose screws in the oil system.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:45 AM

OK, then it was the CRT that had the screw. If it were me, I would run it in with red Loc-Tite and stake it in place.

Of course, I wouldn't own one, but now I'm just being mean. :thumbsup:

• jrny426

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:47 AM

OK, then it was the CRT that had the screw. If it were me, I would run it in with red Loc-Tite and stake it in place.

Of course, I wouldn't own one, but now I'm just being mean. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I 'll pick up a Scotts at sometime:bonk: $$$$$$

• etug321

Posted April 22, 2008 - 11:02 AM

I've had my scotts filter for about 3yrs now, had it on two different bikes never had a problem. Wouldn't buy any other brand.:thumbsup:

• bustersat

Posted April 22, 2008 - 01:27 PM

thanks all! Scotts it is then!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.