'00-'02 426 Handlebar Mounted Hot Start Kit

11 replies to this topic
  • rufusz

Posted April 22, 2008 - 04:58 AM

Hi

I've recently installed the HotCams exhaust cam (with auto-decomp), so restarting the engine when it's hot is easy like hell, but to reach down every time for the hot-start button is annoying. I've only seen Dr.D selling a HotStart kit, but for it retails for 100$, is anything cheaper on the market? Is it worth if I'm not racing the bike?

thx

• bustersat

Posted April 22, 2008 - 07:12 AM

Dr D is on my 02 right now. I love it! It is a bit pricy but works great. It locates the lever on the throttle side as well so there is the added benefit of not turning your throttle during the restart. I am just getting into racing, doing mostly practice stuff right now, and having the hot start on the bars is the best. Just my two cents :thumbsup:

• mxgene

Posted April 22, 2008 - 07:16 AM

I have the Dr D one as well and like having it up on the bars.

To be honest though, since I also have auto decomp cams, I have yet to use the hot start.

• brucifer

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:22 AM

Will a later Yamaha hot start fit. Don't the 03 and up come with a hot start cable?

• jrny426

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hi

I've recently installed the HotCams exhaust cam (with auto-decomp), so restarting the engine when it's hot is easy like hell, but to reach down every time for the hot-start button is annoying. I've only seen Dr.D selling a HotStart kit, but for it retails for 100$, is anything cheaper on the market? Is it worth if I'm not racing the bike?

thx

I think everything it seems is $100.00 or in that range.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Will a later Yamaha hot start fit. Don't the 03 and up come with a hot start cable?

All of the 450's and the '03+ 250F's came with the remote hot start, but it mounts to the carb in a different location, and I'm not certain it would fit the older carb.

That, and I doubt it would be cheaper, since you would need to piece it together.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave102429

Posted January 06, 2010 - 01:02 PM

For anyone searching on options for installing a handlebar mounted hot start kit on their YZ426, I found the hot start cable and a plunger from an ’05 CRF450R works perfectly with an aftermarket (i.e. ASV Rotator Clamp w/ Hot Start Lever) hot start lever. The CRF450R has the 90-degree end on the plunger. You can’t adapt the YZ450 plunger because it comes straight out of the top of the carb. I mounted my hot start lever on the throttle side to remind me not to touch the throttle when kicking this bike over, plus I can still use my left hand to hold in the clutch lever when starting the bike in gear.

• myoung

Posted January 06, 2010 - 03:21 PM

That's good to know you confirmed the CRF set-up. I bought my Dr.D set up way back when they first came out and everyone was dealing with them corroding. I kept it alive for a long time by keeping it lubed, but after I changed the the AD cam I never used it but once in a great while and it eventually corroded on me. I just took it off and put the stock one back on. If I had known about thr CRF one, I would have done that instead.

The only good thing that has come out of it is I put the Dr. D lever that I saved all these years on the throttle side of my '09, works way better than the stock one. LOL

• J-mca

Posted January 06, 2010 - 04:15 PM

For anyone searching on options for installing a handlebar mounted hot start kit on their YZ426, I found the hot start cable and a plunger from an ’05 CRF450R works perfectly with an aftermarket (i.e. ASV Rotator Clamp w/ Hot Start Lever) hot start lever. The CRF450R has the 90-degree end on the plunger. You can’t adapt the YZ450 plunger because it comes straight out of the top of the carb. I mounted my hot start lever on the throttle side to remind me not to touch the throttle when kicking this bike over, plus I can still use my left hand to hold in the clutch lever when starting the bike in gear.

Interesting.. I've never been able to start my 426 in gear (maybe clutch adjustment) My Yamaha RoadStar is the same way

• Dave102429

Posted January 06, 2010 - 04:30 PM

Honestly, I was surprised I could. My XR650R is pretty good about starting in gear with the clutch pulled in. Maybe I've just developed a strong kicking leg? I rode my YZ426 on Saturday and kept having trouble finding neutral when I came to a stop. I finally said screw it, just hit the kill button, and pull in the clutch when I go to kick it. So far so good.

• myoung

Posted January 06, 2010 - 06:17 PM

My 426 has been pretty easy to start in gear as well, but only in 1st or 2nd, 3rd and higher not so much, don't know why.

My '09 450 will start in gear as well, but not as easy and not every time, so...........dunno. :moon:

• tek_01

Posted January 07, 2010 - 01:09 PM

my 05 450 starts in gear easily enough. Is there a reason i should NOT start it in gear?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.