WR426 for me?

4 replies to this topic
  • Farmboy

Posted February 05, 2001 - 12:52 AM

I am going to buy a new bike and have been thinking about the Wr 426. I currently have a KDX 220 but want something bigger and a 4 stroke. I live on a ranch in Idaho and use my bike for checking fences and chasing cows sometimes. I have heard that the WR doesn't like to go slow and since I do some putting around was wondering if this could be a problem. I ride trails mostly climbing hills and through the brush on the flats. The WR seems like it is just what I am looking for, but I am just not sure if it will be good for what I need it for. Any help will be appreciated.

• Ted_in_Massachusetts

Posted February 05, 2001 - 03:01 AM

Put a smaller front sprocket on it and it will happily go slow.

I, like pretty much everyone here, HIGHLY recommend the WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted February 05, 2001 - 08:40 AM

Hog wash! The WR does fine lugging around. I've got two kids and am constantly lugging my WR. You do how ever need to proficient with the clutch and throttle control.

------------------
JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

• Hick

Posted February 05, 2001 - 10:15 PM

Ranchboy,

You should first see if your cows are cool with the extra noise produced by the WR. Personally, mine do not care for it, but they are Longhorn crosses mostly. I prefer to chase coyotes, anyway.

In all seriousness, the WR will spit a little coolant out at slow speeds but this is normal and doesn’t hurt anything, the bike has a coolant recovery system just like your pickup.

Probably the biggest adjustment coming from the KDX will be the height and weight, plus the WR is easier to stall, and, wouldn’t you know it, much harder to start.

My two cents.

• Farmboy

Posted February 05, 2001 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. I hope to buy my new WR at the end of the month.

My cows won't mind the noise, just makes `em run faster =).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.