07 Odometer question...

7 replies to this topic
  • BigBelly

Posted April 21, 2008 - 10:25 AM

I just got rid of that crappy Dunlop 739 front tire (Bridgestone 601). I pulled off the front wheel, had someone else change the tire, then I put it back on. I always thought my odo was pretty accurate but after a ride this weekend, it seems like my factory odo is reading nearly twice what my buddies bikes are reading.

Anyone else have this problem on an '07 WR? Did I do something wrong when I re-installed the wheel???:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Chad

• tony1970

Posted April 21, 2008 - 07:54 PM

I am having the same problem with my '06 odo. Mine was reading way off and figured out how to program the wheel diameter into the computer. The manual gives no indication on how to do this, so I was guessing that the wheel measurement was in Centimeters. Programed it again and it still seemed to read off, so I paced off .10 of a mile with my GPS and ran the bike up and down that length until it would measure correctly. Thought I had it right until I ran an enduro this weekend and I was 20 miles off the total.:thumbsup: I am stumped.

• timoyz1

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:49 AM

Maybe it got switched to km? I used to be off of my brothers X when we ride about 3 over in a 150 mile day. When I put on the Maxis, I measured it to make sure, and I came up with 700.84 mm, 3 times. The factory is set to a 700 mm tire, close enough for me, probably not for a clocked enduro though.

• BigBelly

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:22 AM

Last night I went home and read my owners manual. My new tire is a little bigger 90/100 vs. 80/100, but the bigger tire should make me have less milege, not more.

I did read where you can correct for overall tire height in mm's, but I can't imagine that is what is causing me to read nearly double what my buddies bikes are reading.

I also talked to my mechanic buddy and he said, "at best it's an inaccurate guesstimate anyway, it's a cheap computer and will never be 100% no matter what. Use it as a general reference but never completely trust it for fuel or true miles ridden".

I'm pissed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timoyz1

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:47 AM

I did read where you can correct for overall tire height in mm's, but I can't imagine that is what is causing me to read nearly double what my buddies bikes are reading.

Are you sure you're on mph, not kmh?

• BigBelly

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:59 AM

You guys have me guessing...I'll have to go home and make sure it's on miles not km's. I don't even know how to switch it. Maybe I pressed the wrong sequence of buttons. I don't know. I'll check it out and report back.

Thanks,

Chad

• timoyz1

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:03 AM

I think it is hold down the top button for a couple seconds. The display will say km if it is switched.

• BigBelly

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:18 PM

Yep, I'm stupid. Must have pressed something wrong, it was on KM's and not miles.

Guess I have to start carrying my reading glassed in my Camel Bak. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go sit in the corner now....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.