radiator guards vs. braces

13 replies to this topic
  • 426flow

Posted April 20, 2008 - 10:17 PM

hey does can anyone recommend a good radiator guard or brace that will protect my radiator well? i was in a head on collision this afternoon and crushed my radiator for the second time. im looking for the most heavy duty guard or brace that will keep my radiator safe.

• DeeCee

Posted April 21, 2008 - 12:35 AM

A head on collision will do a lot of damage regardless of any brace or guard being fitted, especially if there is some momentum/speed involved.

I have Flatland guards fitted to my 400 and have recently put them to the test with a hard drop on the left hand side of the bike (bent both forks and demolished the shrouds). The guards twisted a little (which I was able to straighten quite easily) and most certainly saved the radiator.

I ride desert in high temperatures (40 deg C+ in summer) and have not had any cooling airlfow issues with these guards.

• usmcpaul

Posted April 21, 2008 - 03:18 AM

I got a set of Roosters on Ebay. I am very happy with them. Nice fit and finish. I think I paid about $50 shipped. I had a set of Flatlands on my Honda and they are nice, but if I remember correctly, they were twice the Roosters price; and I actually like the Roosters more.

• Kasjok

Posted April 21, 2008 - 03:23 AM

I also got those roosters from ebay. Very pleased with them so far. I have had two pretty hard crashes and its all good so far. Also they look nice in my opinion!

• bustersat

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:34 AM

I bought the flatlands through TT store and couldn't be happier. Fit and finish were excellent and no ill cooling effects. I even ran them hard in some pretty muddy stuff, and they did not clog any worse then the stock plastic guards. I have been real lucky since i put them on and have only had a couple low speed layovers. They are still straight as an arrow! I payed around 90 bucks delivered.

• WGP

Posted April 21, 2008 - 07:58 AM

I put on Moose radiator braces (06 YZ450) and they seem really strong.:thumbsup:

However I had to cut away lots of plastic off the shrouds to get them on.:ride:

• buzzfin

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:52 AM

I put the Devol guards on my 400. Cheapest place I could find them was at motorsport.com. So far no overheating or other issues.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • harwood39

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:57 PM

are the works connection braces good?? or are the guards better??

• Slinkyman16

Posted April 21, 2008 - 08:51 PM

im a big fan on the zip ty cages. my buddy has them on his 06 and hes had some pretty bad crashes.. still in excellent shape. i plan on getting some myself when i get my rad back form the shop.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 22, 2008 - 07:30 AM

are the works connection braces good?? or are the guards better??

Braces vs. cages depends on what year bike you have- 98-05 use braces, 06 and up (for Yamahas) use cages. I had Works Connection braces on my 00 426 and now have Works Connection cages on my 06 and I've been very happy with both. I haven't put the cages to the test yet, but I did with the braces a few times and they never flinched and my rads stayed straight. The WC cages took a bit of trimming on my stock shrouds (2 small tabs on the back side of the shroud if I remember right) but when I bought Acerbis shrouds for my new graphics I didn't have to trim anything- the package said 250F on it and that might be the reason I didn't have to trim anything.

• etug321

Posted April 22, 2008 - 11:05 AM

wc cages are the best in my opinion:thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted April 22, 2008 - 11:14 AM

I like the Zip Ty, but no additional front roost protection.

• wakin

Posted April 22, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Nobody mentioned Unabikers? The 2 sides bolt together making it a solid 1 piece guard. I know a lot of people like the Devols but I broke one on my WR.
Posted Image

• RJB

Posted April 22, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Nobody mentioned Unabikers? The 2 sides bolt together making it a solid 1 piece guard. I know a lot of people like the Devols but I broke one on my WR.
Posted Image

+1 on the Unabikers. Got a set on both YZ & WR and holding up well. Plus you can get them through Thumpertalk :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.