Preventing Thread Damage to the Lower Filter Cover Bolt

47 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Any bicycle shop will have loose balls this size available, although they will sometimes sell them only in packs of 10 or so. Not expensive.

• Aka.Goose

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:04 AM

My local shop Bikecology gave me 3 for 50 cents...

• spc mike

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:36 PM

...I just want to know if anyone has tried to punch the ball-bearing into the hole without drilling??

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2009 - 07:46 PM

I thought about that, but it struck me that the amount of interference (.067") was a bit excessive. It may very well work, but I decided I'd rather not.

By the same token, a 3mm ball, at a nominal .118" would be too loose. If, on the other hand, you find a 5/32" ball at the bike shop, that would likely work. I actually wanted to drill into the passage in order to create a stepped bore, which gives the ball something positive to seat against to prevent it migrating down the bore. That may be overkill, but it's the technically correct way to do it.

But as Goose said, I have no idea what the big phobia is over running a drill 1/4" into an existing hole. It takes less time to do that than to fish the aluminum ball out of a pop rivet

• rdrata

Posted April 18, 2009 - 11:27 AM

Gray
Did the mod today, it worked out beautiful; although I still think my shop stripped my bolt ilo the metal wearing it out. In any event done deal. Thanks for this tip.:p

• jimmydoorlocks

Posted April 18, 2009 - 09:30 PM

I did this mod while I was changing the filter. I used bearings that I had around the shop (work on pedal powers too) and completed the whole thing in less than 5 minutes. That included test fitting a bearing into a hole I drilled into a scrap piece of aluminum. It was SUPER easy and completely worth it.!!! :p

• yamadoggy

Posted April 21, 2009 - 12:22 PM

What is the point of the hole in the first place? So oil drains out of the filter cavity when the motor is off (so as to not be full when you pop the cover off to change filter)?

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2009 - 02:17 PM

the design seems to have been laid out so that the lower bolt could be partially unscrewed and thereby allow the oil from the filter well to drain without actually removing the filter or cover. Why anyone thought that was necessary, I don't know.

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2009 - 10:12 PM

Im actually more worried about the ball bearing falling out due to heat expansion and vibration of the engine.

Then you better start worrying about the plugs in your left crankcase cover, your cam saddles, and your oil pump, since they're all done this way. The ball is a press fit with the dimensions I gave, it is driven in place and staked down, and has nothing trying to push it out. Neither of mine have moved since I posted this originally, and they won't.

RTV silicone is notoriously ineffective as an adhesive when directly exposed to hot oil outside a clamped joint, and has very little chance of staying put. I would tell you that if you want to do it that way, it's your bike and you can if you want, but stuffing the hole with RTV is unbelievably crude, and if I told you what I really thought of it, you'd be offended. Nothing personal.

• finthat

Posted May 23, 2009 - 08:00 AM

Lets say the ball does get loose where can it go? Not sure but wouldn't it be too big to really go any where? RTV could break up and get into and plug passage ways or a least restrict them. I could be totally missing the mark on this though.
BTW how do you fix the thread once they are done?? Heli coil? Weld and re-tap?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2009 - 08:55 AM

BTW how do you fix the thread once they are done?? Heli coil? Weld and re-tap?

Heli-Coil or Time-Sert

• Dube2

Posted June 02, 2009 - 09:43 AM

Big help guys. I personally plan on doing the steel ball bearing thing soon. My 05 did it, my buddies 06 did it and now my 08 is doing it. Does the threaded port go into the case? If I take a botoming tap and clean the threads up before and after the ball bearing, what's the chance fillings will get in the case? I already changed the oil and replaced the filter thinking it was going to be a pretty easy job. When I replaced the water pump seal on my 05, that's when I re-taped the threads and no problems on the 05 since.

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2009 - 10:16 AM

Does the threaded port go into the case? If I take a botoming tap and clean the threads up before and after the ball bearing, what's the chance fillings will get in the case?

Yes, that hole does run out the back and into the primary case. Take the precaution of inserting a Q-Tip in it as you drill.

When cleaning the threads up, fill the flutes of the tap with grease to capture the chips. With a little care, you'll be OK.

• Jim813

Posted June 21, 2009 - 12:32 PM

I put a steel thread sert into the lower oil drain bolt hole. Solves the problem of aluminum threads seeping into the drain hole and also addresses the problem of a steel bolt going into aluminum threads.:worthy:

• WalterS

Posted June 30, 2009 - 03:27 AM

Ok I attempted to change my oil and oil filter tonight Like I have done plenty of times before, yet when I went to go and put the bottom one back in it goes in about 3 quarters of the way in then gets super tight. I tried pushing it in a little then easing it back out as well as cleaning it with cotton buds(think you call them q tips?) as well as spraying a heap of inox in there but it still wont go in.

Can this be re-threaded easily? and would I be able to purchase a shorter bolt and run it?

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2009 - 06:40 AM

Can this be re-threaded easily? and would I be able to purchase a shorter bolt and run it?

Don't substitute another bolt in that hole. Just grease an M6x1.0 tap and chase out the threads. You may also want to clean up the threads on the bolt with a die.

Then do this mod so that never happens again.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 30, 2009 - 08:58 AM

as well as spraying a heap of inox in there but it still wont go in.

You know that hole leads back to the case right???

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2009 - 08:59 AM

You know that hole leads back to the case right???

Good point. Better change the oil again.

• icon27

Posted July 01, 2009 - 10:37 AM

:worthy: Did the Mod 2 weeks ago with some hesitation. Had to run a tap in the threads to clean them out. Changed oil today and everything seemed to work like a charm. Thankfully I installed a magnetic drain bolt last time cause it caught a fair amount of shavings from when I ran the tap through. Dont think there was any damage. That is the only draw back if you need to run a tap that I can see. I did try to clean it out really well when I did it, but some material did get by the Q-tip cleaning. I did not know that the threads run back to the open case. Just a word of caution... The mod works perfect!!! THanks Grayracer

• 1Yamaha1

Posted July 01, 2009 - 10:49 AM

:worthy: Did the Mod 2 weeks ago with some hesitation. Had to run a tap in the threads to clean them out. Changed oil today and everything seemed to work like a charm. Thankfully I installed a magnetic drain bolt last time cause it caught a fair amount of shavings from when I ran the tap through. Dont think there was any damage. That is the only draw back if you need to run a tap that I can see. I did try to clean it out really well when I did it, but some material did get by the Q-tip cleaning. I did not know that the threads run back to the open case. Just a word of caution... The mod works perfect!!! THanks Grayracer

Those shavings you caught shouldnt have been from tapping the oil filter drain hole because its aluminum and the shavings are not magnetic.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.