puffs of black smoke when revving

4 replies to this topic
  • bayareaSM

Posted April 20, 2008 - 03:07 PM

i just changed the oil put in regular repsol 10-40 oil in to the exact suzuki spec. the level is bang on . so i have the motor warm and i come back and rev it and start noticing a little puffs of black smoke out the exhaust pipe when i give it a good little rev. is this normal for a carburator? i mean i dont think i have ever seen smoke coming from the exhaust. i know for a fact i did not overfill the oil so i wonder what it could be:bonk: ? should i be looking for something else? could it be the jetting?

• 1999xr650lman

Posted April 20, 2008 - 03:10 PM

Sounds like it could be running a little on the rich side. Is the bike totally stock?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bayareaSM

Posted April 20, 2008 - 03:38 PM

ya its funny i have never seen it ,but than again i ride solo a lot so no one to tell me . i usually just let it warmup and ride , come back and kill it. i never really rev it at idle so maybe its the first time i noticed it? I would relate it to sometimes you see a car floor it and sometimes a little puff of black smoke comes out. the bike was jetted by a professional(not sure what jet or specs he did it to), 3x3 mod, k&n,muzzy full exhaust, 14t front sprocket. the motor is stock so not sure. i could take a quick video of it tommorrow and post it up. i did notice a prononced gasoline smell from the exhaust pipe but, the bikes been jetted for over a month and ran great. kinda stumpped?:thumbsup:

• Rej

Posted April 20, 2008 - 05:30 PM

Cleaned your air filter lately ?

• bayareaSM

Posted April 20, 2008 - 05:50 PM

Cleaned your air filter lately ?

its a fairly new k&n. maybe a month with it on? i never have ridden dirt either. i will try to take a little video tommorrow and post it. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.