WR Or KTM?

51 replies to this topic
  • jnl81

Posted April 30, 2008 - 06:17 PM

What price are you talking about on the WR o.t.d.? Didn't think there was that much difference in price. By the way, don't forget to look at the Husqvarna TE-450/510.

There is a place in L.A. that has the WR for $6400 of $6500 OTD. I did consider the Hucky although it seems like there is alot of small problems,

• sts475

Posted May 01, 2008 - 06:42 PM

The KTM is a work of art no doubt..The thing was put together nice and is easier to work on IMO.

I have a WR450 2007 and have ridden the 08 KTM and find that the WR has WAY more power off the bottom and into the lower mid range. However the KTM is SMOOTH, SMOOTH, SMOOTH!! WHereas the WR down right BARKS off the bottom. In some situations this is good in others not so good.

Suspension, hands down, the WR is better

Handling, not enough time spent on the KTM but it feels comparible to the WR

Other neg WR notibles: WR SUCKS to work on, stupid blue plastic, low ground clearance.

Other Pos notibles: PRICE is a steal on the WR when compared to the KTM. Legendary no break-em engine (KTM is good too). Something different then a KTM :eek:

If money were no object I'd go with a 530 and get the suspension done and plate it!!

Dude,
I don't know if the 08 KTM you rode was uncorked or not but the WR has the smooth power and the KTM has the major bottom end. I think you got that backwards. I don't have a 530 but my 525 has WAY more bottom end than my WR! Everyone I talked to says the 530 is like the 525 only better! My WR suspension was junk and my KTM suspension is good the way it is. It's hard to believe you even rode the 530 with that opinion.
That's way different than anything I've heard or experienced......

To each his own though....

STS.

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 01, 2008 - 09:35 PM

I have 4 friends with ktm's and 5 or 6 friends that ride yamaha's and the ktm guys spend more time dealing with reliability problems. Also, how did people start comparing the wr450 to the ktm 525/530? They make a 450. The exc is pretty garbage now as a real dirty dirt bike, and I wouldn't get it unless you had a serious need to do some street riding, or if your situation required it. The xc's and xcw's are a much better designated dirt bike. That should close your price gap. They come close to the wr, but all in all just don't perform as well, even though they do look better. Bottom line, don't get a ktm four stroke. If you are going to buy a ktm, get a 300xcw-e, or the 250. You will probably have to kill someone to get one at this point, but it might be worth it. Otherwise, if you like riding more than you like wrenching, go with the wr, and buy a softer seat.

• chrispy1202

Posted May 02, 2008 - 02:31 PM

I have two friends that have bought new KTM's. Last year one friend bought the 450 exc, and the other just got his 530 exc, both street legal. The one problem that both of these bikes have faced is, jetting and gearing problems from new. If you go and try to trail ride these bikes out of the box (store), you had better have eaten your Wheaties. The battery on the 450 was pretty much toast after about 15 minutes of trail riding, or should i say stalling. It took all that the three of us had, to get that pig started each time it died. Once it was rejetted and re-geared, all was good. The 530 was pretty much the same thing, but the only way we could get it running was to bomb start it down a very long hill. The magic button was useless after about 3 minutes of trying to fire it up. I just rebuilt my '03 WR450, and when we raced up an old dirt road ('07 450exc,'08 530exc,'05 crf450x and my '03 WR450) there wasn't really any difference between the bikes in the power department. None of these bikes are perfect out of the shop, and all need a bit of love to get them to where you want them. I can't complain about what my bike will do, on or off road. Rebuild after about 9000km.
Cheers
Chris.

• Wyoming Rider

Posted May 02, 2008 - 02:40 PM

I love my 08 WR 450. We have both dealers here and the KTMs are so much more expensive for that extra $2000 dollars you can do a lot to a WR just doing the free mods mine rips and thats not even spending any of that 2 grand i saved. I'd go WR!

• sts475

Posted May 02, 2008 - 05:32 PM

I have 4 friends with ktm's and 5 or 6 friends that ride yamaha's and the ktm guys spend more time dealing with reliability problems. Also, how did people start comparing the wr450 to the ktm 525/530? They make a 450. The exc is pretty garbage now as a real dirty dirt bike, and I wouldn't get it unless you had a serious need to do some street riding, or if your situation required it. The xc's and xcw's are a much better designated dirt bike. That should close your price gap. They come close to the wr, but all in all just don't perform as well, even though they do look better. Bottom line, don't get a ktm four stroke. If you are going to buy a ktm, get a 300xcw-e, or the 250. You will probably have to kill someone to get one at this point, but it might be worth it. Otherwise, if you like riding more than you like wrenching, go with the wr, and buy a softer seat.

I have two friends that have bought new KTM's. Last year one friend bought the 450 exc, and the other just got his 530 exc, both street legal. The one problem that both of these bikes have faced is, jetting and gearing problems from new. If you go and try to trail ride these bikes out of the box (store), you had better have eaten your Wheaties. The battery on the 450 was pretty much toast after about 15 minutes of trail riding, or should i say stalling. It took all that the three of us had, to get that pig started each time it died. Once it was rejetted and re-geared, all was good. The 530 was pretty much the same thing, but the only way we could get it running was to bomb start it down a very long hill. The magic button was useless after about 3 minutes of trying to fire it up. I just rebuilt my '03 WR450, and when we raced up an old dirt road ('07 450exc,'08 530exc,'05 crf450x and my '03 WR450) there wasn't really any difference between the bikes in the power department. None of these bikes are perfect out of the shop, and all need a bit of love to get them to where you want them. I can't complain about what my bike will do, on or off road. Rebuild after about 9000km.
Cheers
Chris.

I must live on a different planet! In all of my years of riding, I have had few bikes that were really good with no mods. The WR isn't even ridable stock nor would I think about it. The KTM isn't much better out of the box that much is true. But to say that the EXC is junk and that the WR is better is just plain crazy. It must be just me but the KTM is the bike the WR should be and I have never had any real problems with my KTMs, EVER! And, KTM stands behind it's bike 100% where Yamaha runs and hides and goes into denial when they are faced with a problem. The XC's are basically the same bike with a close ratio tranny and a few goodies. They are not that much different and now come in a wide ratio setup so it's virtually the same bike with out lights and reversible triple clamps. The 300xcw is a better bike that both of the bikes in question and not a comparison. I regeard and rejetted my WR and it's still a compromise. The KTM flat gets it done and now! My KTM pulls where my WR wishes it did! Lastly, I'm not the fastest guy on the planet but I have never been passed by anyone on a WR (on the KTM), especially going up hill where power counts the most. Maybe the WR can squeak out a few more mph in someones reality, but it can not spank the KTM in the rough when both bikes are set up properly. I'd be curious to ride any of these WR's that anyone says are better or faster than a 525/530 KTM equally un restricted. These two bikes are not even in the same ball park and should not be compared to each other. This thread is making less and less sense the more posts it gets...... I have to add that the WR is a great bike but not a KTM by any means.....

Good Luck!

STS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zsebi-2

Posted May 02, 2008 - 06:27 PM

What do you expect, man? You are in a WR forum, of course people will defend their WRs. They/we bought it because we like for one reason or an other.
I had a 400, 250 and 426WR. I keep coming back to it for some reason. Must be good for ->me.

• sts475

Posted May 03, 2008 - 11:04 AM

What do you expect, man? You are in a WR forum, of course people will defend their WRs. They/we bought it because we like for one reason or an other.
I had a 400, 250 and 426WR. I keep coming back to it for some reason. Must be good for ->me.

I'm in here because I have both. The 07 KTM 525 EXC and the 07 WR450 Yamaha. I have first hand experience with both of them concurrently. That is why some of these posts do not make sense to me.

OH WEll.........

STS.

• rubberband-man

Posted May 03, 2008 - 02:21 PM

I have a 525mxc and have had 2 wr 450's. There is not a smoother running engine than my ktm, and it is faster than fast, but, I have never over-heated on my yamaha, and the ktm starts boiling whenever the trail gets technical. my 2 cents--however, for a few bucks ($99), you can throw on a set of fans, and the ktm doesn't overheat as often. Both are awesome bikes, you can't go wrong with either. I ride the wr more often because it fits me perfect. I love them both though.

• Zsebi-2

Posted May 03, 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hi STS,
I hear ya ... and envious a bit...I wish I could have a KTM and WR concurrently, but of course I would be sleeping in the dog house till the wife start feeling sorry for me.
The KTMs have top notch quality parts all around.
It is personal preference and likingness ( like "little bush" would say :eek: ) of certain features, or setups.
It boils down to what do you like: chocolate or vanilla? KTM or Yamaha? Any dealer near by? Is he/she an a***ole? After market goodies? Cost of after market goodies? and so on...
However it is not fair to compare a KTM 525 to a WR450.

• Lowedog

Posted May 03, 2008 - 09:40 PM

I have had a chance to ride both a 2008 WR 450 and a 2008 XCRW 530 the last 2 days. The WR has a FMF Q4 pipe, free mods, AIS removed and has been jetted. The KTM is stock except for bars and Scott stabalizer.

Both are awesome bikes and it comes down to what you like. In the form that these bike are in the WR has way more bark off the bottom. The power is a lot more agressive than the 530. The 530 feels more electric in power delivery. It has plenty of torque but seems to rev more slowly. I felt the KTM felt choked up and would like to ride one that has been piped and jetted.

I rode the bikes on the same trails that range from tight rocky stuff to fast single track. The WR feels lighter and easier to flick around to me. I like the WR suspension better also. KTM's for me are softly sprung and harshly valved and need some work to soak up trail trash like rocks, roots and such. Except for the wide ratio tranny the WR feels almost identical to my 2006 YZ450. After riding the YZ in the woods for 2 years I have come to love the close ratio tranny and the WR's 1st gear is almost useless to me. The KTM has a little taller first gear but still too low for my taste. The nice thing was if I remembered not to put either bike in 1st I didn't need it and both have plenty of torque to pull around in second.

Riders over 6 feet are probably a little cramped on the WR and the KTM is a lot more roomy.

I would think if you occasionaly ride moto the WR would transition nicely where the KTM would not.

Of course it's all subjective and if you can, ride them all and then make a decision.

-Lowedog

• fdubaaron

Posted May 05, 2008 - 03:04 PM

Just wish I could plate my WR.... along with everyone else in an enviro-friendly state.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.