WR Or KTM?

51 replies to this topic
  • Rock0

Posted April 21, 2008 - 09:14 AM

The OP is in Kalifornia which is an issue as it relates to red / green sticker. It all depends on where / when he wants to ride. Are their any 2strokes that are green stickered?

I know someone who keeps getting issued a Green Sticker for his 01 CR250R

• ktmman21

Posted April 21, 2008 - 09:22 AM

I believe you guys are way out there on the price of a new KTM XC-WR. I bought mine for 7842 out the door and added a 300 dollar light kit, instead of buying the ugly EXC bike. Consider that idea its much cheaper and tighter looking. The headlight unplugs with only 5 easy clips and the rear tail light mounts under the rear fender and comes off with only 2 screws.

• Rock0

Posted April 21, 2008 - 09:24 AM

How do you like those 1200 dollar brembo brakes KTM feels you need?

I believe you guys are way out there on the price of a new KTM XC-WR. I bought mine for 7842 out the door and added a 300 dollar light kit, instead of buying the ugly EXC bike. Consider that idea its much cheaper and tighter looking. The headlight unplugs with only 5 easy clips and the rear tail light mounts under the rear fender and comes off with only 2 screws.

• Rock0

Posted April 21, 2008 - 09:26 AM

Have you actually ridden it yet?

you can't base the performance difference between models if you havn't picked your bike up yet

• KennyMc

Posted April 21, 2008 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, the red sticker program started with the 2004 model years. I was wondering if there were still new 2strokes being distributed that were actually green stickered.

• byggd

Posted April 21, 2008 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, the red sticker program started with the 2004 model years. I was wondering if there were still new 2strokes being distributed that were actually green stickered.

Actually it started with 03. ALL 02 and older were grandfathered in as green sticker.

• juancy

Posted April 21, 2008 - 11:37 AM

I recently was in that exact position. I decided for the wr since both bike are great and the wr is like mention before $2500 cheaper.With that money you could do the suspension, free mods, jetting and aftermarket exhaust with some extras and still have some money left, at the end you will finish with a better bike than a ktm since the wr will be set for your personal taste. just my 2 cents.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:42 PM

WR or KTM.... if you were blindfolded, you probably couldn't tell much of the difference. They are both great bikes.

If you need a plate, you are going to pay more for it.

Both of these bikes will need to get their suspension done.

Get the wr, take $200 of the $2000 savings and get a hydraulic clutch.

Uncorking the WR takes a couple of hours. Its a non issue.

• sts475

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:11 PM

That's a good thing! Telling the whole world isn't......

Good Luck!

STS.

• sts475

Posted April 24, 2008 - 06:28 PM

I have the good fortune of having both. They are very different bikes. The WR450 is smaller and works better in the tight stuff and has really smooth power. It revs way out to possibly 13,000 rpm! The 525 EXC is taller and better in the wide open stuff and has way more torque. I had the suspension redone on the WR and have yet to change the KTM. Both are of very good quality but the KTM tranny feels more fragile. Both have quirks but nothing bad. This 07 is my first WR but the KTM is my 5th. I have never had any major problems with either but both are very well maintained. If I had to choose one I would have to choose the KTM because it is better for me all around and has the plate. After years of Japanese bikes, I am completely converted now, I feel most at home on a KTM. I always wanted a WR and waited until they came with the aluminum frame. It needed refinement and is a compromise for me. I love it though and ride it every chance I get. You can't go wrong with either!

Good Luck!

STS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted April 25, 2008 - 10:25 AM

Yamaha = legendary reliability

• byggd

Posted April 25, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Yamaha = legendary reliability

Kinda says it all doesn't it :thumbsup: :ride: :rant:

• Reeper

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:18 PM

WR sports a modern rear supension as apposed to the bracket mount on the KTM swing arm. The 07 wr 450 is a very good bike.

• rubberband-man

Posted April 26, 2008 - 01:22 AM

my 07 wr450f is the best bike i've ever owned. (I had 03 wr450 & 05 ktm 525mxc. i haven't had many bikes. i have ridden a large variety--honda/suzuki and kawasaki. I love anything with a motor and 2 wheels--my wife's ttr 225 is a blast, and soare my daughters' crf 50's. my 07 wr though, takes the cake.

• sts475

Posted April 26, 2008 - 06:39 PM

WR sports a modern rear supension as apposed to the bracket mount on the KTM swing arm. The 07 wr 450 is a very good bike.

The KTM doesn't need linkage. Not to put the WR down but the KTM is superior in rough terrain to the WR. The rougher it gets, the faster I can go on the KTM. Linkage suspensions need alot of maintenance too. The wr excels in being a good all around package with more strengths than faults. The quality is excellent! The KTM is a search and destroy, take no prisoners weapon. At least that is my impression.

To each his own though!

I still love them both!

STS.

• jnl81

Posted April 26, 2008 - 06:57 PM

I am leaning towards the WR. There is a delaer in So Cal hat has a price of $6500 OTD. I may have a hard time spending 10k on a KTM as I only ride mabey once a month. What are your top speeds on a geared up WR?

• RAZ227

Posted April 28, 2008 - 06:40 PM

I am leaning towards the WR. There is a delaer in So Cal hat has a price of $6500 OTD. I may have a hard time spending 10k on a KTM as I only ride mabey once a month. What are your top speeds on a geared up WR?

I have both the 07 WR 450 (you can see it for sale here in the C-Ads) and is really nice. I also ride an 08 KTM 530 XCRW which is hands down a better bike. It will make you a faster and more confident rider. You'll just have to trust me on this one. I experienced this 1st hand with a buddy of mine who rode a WR just like mine then jumped to a 530. We were both about the same riding level and I had my bike setup better than his and I also rode more than he did. When he switched, he kicked my a** by leaps and bounds. He told me it was the bike and I told him he was full of Sh**. So, to make a long story short, 2 mos of him smoking me, I pulled the trigger on the KTM and we're back to being about even. Oh, I must also mention that this bike feels much lighter and turns better than the WR not to mention the great suspension.

Anyhow, don't get me wrong, the WR is a nice bike and yes there is dependabilty, it's just not as set up out of the box as the KTM. If you want a good deal on my WR PM me.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 29, 2008 - 09:01 AM

I have both the 07 WR 450 (you can see it for sale here in the C-Ads) and is really nice. I also ride an 08 KTM 530 XCRW which is hands down a better bike. It will make you a faster and more confident rider. You'll just have to trust me on this one. I experienced this 1st hand with a buddy of mine who rode a WR just like mine then jumped to a 530. We were both about the same riding level and I had my bike setup better than his and I also rode more than he did. When he switched, he kicked my a** by leaps and bounds. He told me it was the bike and I told him he was full of Sh**. So, to make a long story short, 2 mos of him smoking me, I pulled the trigger on the KTM and we're back to being about even. Oh, I must also mention that this bike feels much lighter and turns better than the WR not to mention the great suspension.

Anyhow, don't get me wrong, the WR is a nice bike and yes there is dependabilty, it's just not as set up out of the box as the KTM. If you want a good deal on my WR PM me.

The linkage on the WR makes the suspension rate ramp up, the leverage on the shock is reduced as it goes deeper in the travel.. Long story short is that its not going to really affect the suspension unless you are using lots of travel. Its going to resist bottoming better.

But its going to be harder to use all of your suspension on the WR unless you are doing big jumps or going fast. The benefit of the KTM suspension is that you are going to be using more travel at slower speeds. But it will bottom easier.

In my mind the linkage type suspension should be better for motocross and desert racing. while the KTM type suspension should have an advantage for enduro race type use. I’ve seen people use dual rate springs on KTMs to get the same “progressiveness” that you get in a linkage, but I think the dual rate spring is going to make setting rebound an issue.

• mxracernumber1

Posted April 29, 2008 - 09:08 AM

What price are you talking about on the WR o.t.d.? Didn't think there was that much difference in price. By the way, don't forget to look at the Husqvarna TE-450/510.

• Sycamore

Posted April 29, 2008 - 04:09 PM

The KTM is a work of art no doubt..The thing was put together nice and is easier to work on IMO.

I have a WR450 2007 and have ridden the 08 KTM and find that the WR has WAY more power off the bottom and into the lower mid range. However the KTM is SMOOTH, SMOOTH, SMOOTH!! WHereas the WR down right BARKS off the bottom. In some situations this is good in others not so good.

Suspension, hands down, the WR is better

Handling, not enough time spent on the KTM but it feels comparible to the WR

Other neg WR notibles: WR SUCKS to work on, stupid blue plastic, low ground clearance.

Other Pos notibles: PRICE is a steal on the WR when compared to the KTM. Legendary no break-em engine (KTM is good too). Something different then a KTM :eek:

If money were no object I'd go with a 530 and get the suspension done and plate it!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.