WR Or KTM?

I have been thinking about getting a new KTM. But I went to look at the new WR which is about $2500 cheaper out the door, its looking preaty good. Ive heard all the goods about the WR, what are the bads?

I have been thinking about getting a new KTM. But I went to look at the new WR which is about $2500 cheaper out the door, its looking preaty good. Ive heard all the goods about the WR, what are the bads?

I have had it for about a year and have had no problems (a CA plate would be a nice addition).

Forks can be delt with by getting the right springs/oil etc. My 2006 has 8200km's & no breakdowns only normal maintenance items eg breakpads, wheel & linkage bearings spark plugs etc.

KTM are great bikes & I was thinking of replacing my WR with a KTM300 but have decided to stay with the 06 WR as it has given me great trouble free service.

I think it really depends on how you ride which one is better for you . the wr is very choked up out of the box and requires a bunch of tweaking to make it run as it should from the factory . and the suspention it very very soft . If I had it to do over again and I had a ktm dealer close I'd at least take a look at them . As far as being plated I've heard it ez to do a ktm ,but I have my wr plated

All of the modern 450's are great platforms, but they all need a little work to get them where you want them. The KTM's require a little less initial work than the WR's but you pay more.

Right now you can get holdover '07 WR450's cheap. If you spend $500 on rejetting and a good aftermarket silencer it will have more power than the average mortal can use. Spend another $700 and you can have the suspension completely tricked out for your weight and style. Spend another $500 on a larger gas tank, radiator guards and barkbusters and you're ready to roll and still into it less than the KTM.

At that level of bike, it's going to come down to rider skill way more than plastic color anyway, ask Jeremy McGrath. So get what you like. The rest is just splittin' hairs.

Just my my 2 cents...

• Like 1

For the money difference you can get a lot done on the WR. Like Idaho450 said, you can get suspension, tank, protection and jetting done and still be less than the OTD price of the KTM. I don't buy the fact that having to do all the free mods to open a bike up is a problem. We should all be going through the bikes when we get them home anyway and that is a good time to perform the FREE mods on the WR. As far as the other add ons are concerned you would need to do protection,jetting and at least set up the suspension on the KTM as well to match your weight and riding style. Both are great bikes , but for my money I get more for the dollar with the WR. I would check here http://www.ktmtalk.com to see what sort of problems they are having. The WR is a PITA to get to the carb, no question, but once I got mine dialed in it is a non issue after that ( for me anyway) the aluminum frame makes working on some areas of the bike difficult. Once you develop a method of dissasembly it's not that bad. My.02 -- WR Dave

• Like 1

All of the modern 450's are great platforms, but they all need a little work to get them where you want them. The KTM's require a little less initial work than the WR's but you pay more.

Right now you can get holdover '07 WR450's cheap. If you spend $500 on rejetting and a good aftermarket silencer it will have more power than the average mortal can use. Spend another $700 and you can have the suspension completely tricked out for your weight and style. Spend another $500 on a larger gas tank, radiator guards and barkbusters and you're ready to roll and still into it less than the KTM.

At that level of bike, it's going to come down to rider skill way more than plastic color anyway, ask Jeremy McGrath. So get what you like. The rest is just splittin' hairs.

Just my my 2 cents...

For the money difference you can get a lot done on the WR. Like Idaho450 said, you can get suspension, tank, protection and jetting done and still be less than the OTD price of the KTM. I don't buy the fact that having to do all the free mods to open a bike up is a problem. We should all be going through the bikes when we get them home anyway and that is a good time to perform the FREE mods on the WR. As far as the other add ons are concerned you would need to do protection,jetting and at least set up the suspension on the KTM as well to match your weight and riding style. Both are great bikes , but for my money I get more for the dollar with the WR. I would check here http://www.ktmtalk.com to see what sort of problems they are having. The WR is a PITA to get to the carb, no question, but once I got mine dialed in it is a non issue after that ( for me anyway) the aluminum frame makes working on some areas of the bike difficult. Once you develop a method of dissasembly it's not that bad. My.02 -- WR Dave

These are excellent posts. ?

........ bahhh :ride:

• Like 1

In my case it was WR all the way...we have a really good Yamaha dealer and no KTM dealer in town. I'm sure KTMs are really good bikes. I ride alone a lot and my WR has never let me down once, they are so dependable. With the free mods, jetting, GYT-R pipe, it has WAY more power than I NEED and all the power I want. And it's nice to purchase a product these days and actually have it exceed your expectations!! I do have to say that I'm older and not a super fast agressive rider so having a dependable bike and a good dealer are far more important to me than the slight differences in the bikes which I probably couldn't appreciate anyway.

I also bought the wr, We have a good KTm dealer and a crappy Yamaha dealer but i found a good Yamaha dealer 60 miles away. I did alot of research and figured the Yamaha was the best all around bike for me. Took about 1000$ and did the free mods,Dr.D exhaust,JD jetting, Handgaurds,Rad. gaurds and skidplate.

really like it now

Well, you can buy a street legal KTM that's pretty damn good in the dirt, if that's of any concern. But, it sounds like it needs to be regeared for trails and so forth.

True the WR suspension is too soft, but the mag reviews don't seem to like the WP stuff on the Ktoom lately. I rode a buddy's 250EXC and the front seemed like a pogo stick.

The biggest drawback to the WR is uncorking it. That's really an afternoon of messing around and hey, it helps you learn your way around the bike.

Having owned both a WR and now into KTM's I can say that the KTM is a little better machine. Is it worth all the additional cost, well that's very debateable but I'd say no. If I were looking at going back to a 4st, I"d likely be back on a WR450. A WR450 can be picked up for $6500 +tax...., the KTM is closer to $8500 + tax. Sorry, but for me it's just not worth it as the WR is also an excellent choice. If money were no cost, then I'd for sure be on a KTM.......... For now, I'll be staying with my '05 KTM 300......

Forks suck, other then that the bike is great. Parts are way cheaper then a KTM. Jeff S

I have seen no evidence that parts are cheaper. some yamaha parts are considerably more expensive than the ktm's.

Anyway, if you think the wr forks suck, I would be surprised if you liked the ktm forks any better. I find both adequate in stock form but could be better.

The ktm will have a lighter feel, partly because it is lighter, and partly because the gas is carried lower and further back.

I have a couple ktm 2-strokes, and I love them, but they are virtually the same price as a yamaha 2-stroke. For $2500, I'd probably get the wr and spend the hour or so to make it run like an actual motorcycle.

Fwiw, the recent dirtbike (or dirtrider, i forget which) showed the ktm making significantly more power than any other offroad 450. That doesn't really matter to me since all those bike will spin the tire whenever you want at reasonable speeds, so power is a complete non-issue to me.

Bottom line is I wouldn't buy either one as long as 2strokes are still available.

I have seen no evidence that parts are cheaper. some yamaha parts are considerably more expensive than the ktm's.

Anyway, if you think the wr forks suck, I would be surprised if you liked the ktm forks any better. I find both adequate in stock form but could be better.

The ktm will have a lighter feel, partly because it is lighter, and partly because the gas is carried lower and further back.

I have a couple ktm 2-strokes, and I love them, but they are virtually the same price as a yamaha 2-stroke. For $2500, I'd probably get the wr and spend the hour or so to make it run like an actual motorcycle.

Fwiw, the recent dirtbike (or dirtrider, i forget which) showed the ktm making significantly more power than any other offroad 450. That doesn't really matter to me since all those bike will spin the tire whenever you want at reasonable speeds, so power is a complete non-issue to me.

Bottom line is I wouldn't buy either one as long as 2strokes are still available.

The OP is in Kalifornia which is an issue as it relates to red / green sticker. It all depends on where / when he wants to ride. Are their any 2strokes that are green stickered?