cam tentioner failure, now the clutch...

4 replies to this topic
  • Aka.Goose

Posted April 19, 2008 - 08:20 AM

OK...Here's the rundown...
Bike wouldn't start, kickstart locks up, open her up, the cam sprocket had adjusted (not slipped) one tooth...Took her to the shop, turns out a faulty cam tensioner was at fault...(yes I had to take it to the shop, come on, like you would've guessed a faulty cam tensioner, right?)...Replaced...Fired up...All the guys at the shop giving kudos to the sound of the WB pipe...Take a test run, clutch doesn't feel right...Open her up...
DAMMIT! Grooves, grooves, grooves everywhere...:rant:
Need to replace the plates/basket/springs!!!! :ride:
The bike only has 20hrs on it! Everything was tits before I let a buddy borrow it for a day (not that I blame him, but the clutch worked fine before, and I never had even the slightest problem with it until he brought it home unable to start)...

So do I go Rekluse or Hinson? :thumbsup:

• endurodog

Posted April 19, 2008 - 09:49 AM

When I had my 05 CRF450 I had to replace the clutch basket, those were made out of soft, recycled, alum cans. I did it with the Hinson and had great luck with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • srfdwg2

Posted April 19, 2008 - 01:59 PM

Dont Let Your Friends Test Drive Your Bucket"are You Insane"?

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 19, 2008 - 04:27 PM

Dont Let Your Friends Test Drive Your Bucket"are You Insane"?

Yeah, I tend to be too free with my stuff (but see that as a good quality)...I have the "it's a dirtbike, it can handle a little punishment" attitude...Like to stoke my friends out...I can fix some issues myself (grew up working for Airport Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki and Cycle Rider in Torrance) and have a girlfriend that works at Del Amo Motorsports so I get a discount on parts...So I usually don't even stress about it...But yeah, this one ended up being very costly, and will make me think twice next time...
I have a feeling since my friend had only ridden 2 strokes before, maybe he was feathering the clutch a lot, or was engaging the clutch slightly without realizing it, or something??? Then again, I rode it pretty hard in Glamis and Dumont (in sand), that tends to put a heavy load on the clutch (but def shouldn't have worn it out THAT fast)...
But it's in the past now, can't change it, can't do nothing about it...So the only worry I have now is which clutch components to replace it with (and hopefully not have to deal with it again for a while)...I have never riden a bike with the Rekluse Auto clutch...I'm interested, and it sounds like many people like it, but I'm just not sure if that's the right choice...Really can't decide which clutch to go for...

• Ga426owner

Posted April 20, 2008 - 06:07 AM

Sure it can wear that fast. Sounds like your buddy abused the hell out of the clutch. New OEM Springs, Hinson Basket, Pressure Plate, Inner hub with either GYTR plates or Hinson plates would be my recommendation :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.