The "2 stroke twist"

6 replies to this topic
  • LOVERofTHE400

Posted April 19, 2008 - 06:30 AM

I got a 98 YZ400F and it ran great till I sucked water and sand in the piston "ouch" thats another story tho. I have head NOT to give it gas when starting the bike. Well my bike you almost have to rip the throttle when you kick it over just wondering what the big commotion is about that? What are the effects of doing it long term or short term? ohh and don't say it floods the bike because like I said when I give it gas is when my bike starts if I don't it wont.

• intensem1rider

Posted April 19, 2008 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, your priming the bike basically, I and many other people find it a must to give 2 or 3 twists of the throttle to prime the cylinder then don't twist it and kick, my bike starts first kick every time when cold when I do that.

• BRYANS01

Posted April 19, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Thats strange i hear alot of people on here saying they have to do this when starting there 400/426 mine is harder to start if I try it this way, if I remember right on another post gray said its the pilot circuit that causes this, not getting the correct fuel to air mixture on start up, im sure he can explain more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JS264

Posted April 19, 2008 - 07:57 AM

If I prime my 450 with the throttle when I start it cold it will fire up instantly, and if I don't, it is a biatch to get it going.

• jayh300

Posted April 19, 2008 - 12:45 PM

you ride with the "manther" ????? my 400 actually likes to be started with the throttle open just a touch. hot or cold. this changed after a hot cams ad install. Before the cam, i never tried that, it was no gas, no prime and started fine.

• LOVERofTHE400

Posted April 20, 2008 - 06:46 AM

Ok so there is no effect on the bike for doing this? It is kind of just how your bike is easiest to start for you or do I need to change the pilot jet and make it where I don't need to give it gas? ohh and yes I do ride with Manther he is my Brother-in-law.

• jayh300

Posted April 20, 2008 - 06:59 AM

this will tell you how to check pilot. every bike i have ever had started a little different. I would think it would be jetting, temp, altitude, rider error, or whatever. Once i found that way to start mine, i just stuck with it. The manual says nothing about it, Grayracer suggested it after my cam change and it works beautifully. while you have it down, you might check your jets sizes for grins and see what you have in it, and clean the carb up also.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.