Ok, Chain Alignment Question

3 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted April 18, 2008 - 09:01 PM

Folks, I figured I'd get a better response here, but I have this weird issue with my chain.

When I adjust the chain tension to my liking and lock everything down, when spinning the rear wheel, the chain tension seems to fluctuate from tight to not so tight. I don't understand how it could alter in tension? I even have new sprockets and chain installed and everything is locked down. It's almost as if something is bent, but with new spockets and the bike never have been in a wreck, this isn't making sense. :thumbsup: The bike seems to ride fine at the track as well?

Please discuss.

• grayracer513

Posted April 18, 2008 - 10:29 PM

There could be several things at work here. The possibilities are sections of the chain worn more than others, sprocket out of round, etc.

Mark the sprockets and see if the tight spots coincide with the position of the front or rear sprocket. If it doesn't, it's the chain. Locate the tight and loose sections and measure them at close to 6 inch sections from the insides of the rollers with calipers. You'll be able to see the difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Davos

Posted April 21, 2008 - 03:59 PM

I have a 97 CR250, my chain does that same thing, it turned out to be the master link binding a little bit on the chain guide.

it might help to take a look at your guide while the master link runs through it.

good luck

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 21, 2008 - 04:02 PM

This is common, especially after the chain gets some hours on it. It's very important that you adjust the chain tension with the chain at its tightest position. So spin the wheel until the chain is tightest before adjusting the tension. Otherwise it might get too tight and that can break the rear hub.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.