06 450 valve question

2 replies to this topic
  • shgnwgn008

Posted April 18, 2008 - 08:58 PM

Im new to this site, but I just recently bought my 06yzf450 off my uncle who is anal about his bikes, the alves were always checked, and oil changed every 3-4 rides, and airfilter cleaned after every ride, well I got about 80 hrs on the bike now and Im putting a new topend in it, and my uncle always shortshifted the bike and never hit the rev limiter, so I was wondering if the valves should be replaced, im short on money as I go to school and work part time at a cyclegear but I only wanna put the oem parts in it, and my uncle said everytime he checked the valves they were always right,they never had to be adjusted, so whats your guys' thoughts, can I get away with just a top end,gaskets and timeing chain?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 18, 2008 - 09:35 PM

You can probably get away with no more than a timing chain, really. I doubt it's in need of rings yet.

The way you tell if it's time to do a valve job is to watch the clearances. YZF valves will go for a very long time without wearing at all, and the only wear that wil occur is a very small amount at the valve seat. A YZF with healthy valves will need only very rare adjustments in very small amounts. If you find a valve that needs reshimming, check it again after no more than two rides following the adjustment. If the clearances remain as you set them, the valve is still OK. If the hard coating has worn through, the valve will already need another adjustment, and that means it's time for a new set.

• Thomas_Potter

Posted April 19, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Yup - my intake valves were maybe .0005 to .001 tight after a year + of a combination of trails / MX / SX (40+ C class rider).

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.