07 YZ450F - Help this newbie out -oil change problem

13 replies to this topic
  • yzprovxr4

Posted April 18, 2008 - 05:28 PM

First oil change. No problem with all the drain plugs and filter. Put the required amount of oil in. Started up bike and ran for 3 minutes. Loosen the bolt in the head to make sure oil was getting up there (it was). Now is where I need to be pointed in the right direction. Shut down bike, wait 30 seconds, oil is just on the bottom of the dipstick. Added more oil (I know I shouldn't have). Started bike and repeated. Now oil level is good on dipstick
but oil runs out of the crankcase overflow bolt? No problem, let the excess oil come out and put back in bolt. Restart, 3 min check dipstick....Guess what, oil is too low.

Please hit me over the head to knock some sense into me because I must be doing something really stupid. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted April 18, 2008 - 07:39 PM

I haven't found the overfill drain to work very well.

Both my '06's, which are essentially identical to yours, get the same treatment:

> Drain the "tank", service the filter, drain the crankcases, refill with 1 full qt and 60cc more.

> Start it, run it about 90 seconds or more, shut it down and wait 15 seconds or so. The oil level is ALWAYS right below the high mark. :thumbsup:

• yzprovxr4

Posted April 19, 2008 - 03:10 AM

Sounds easy enough. I'm just going to start over this morning and see what happens. I'll post the results tonight.

• Smokeslider

Posted April 19, 2008 - 04:29 AM

Is this just a process of not waiting long enough for most of the oil to settle back in? I wait a few minutes on the 06' and it usually is right at the mark.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 19, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but that's where Honda has got us, the ease of checking oil levels...I sure like using the little clear window on my 97 KX250...It seems to me the ONLY way to really get the oil level acurate on the YZ is to do a full drain/add...What about just topping it off after a long ride in the sand? The dipstick, nor the overflow seem to work very well...

• yzprovxr4

Posted April 20, 2008 - 05:54 AM

Well I started from step 1 and the best I could do was now the oil is just below the mark on the dipstick and hardly any oil out of the overflow bolt. I ended up just putting in a touch more oil in then recommended to get it to this point. I figured a tiny amount of too much oil is better then too little.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 20, 2008 - 05:59 AM

I never use the overflow bolt. Just drain, clean or replace oil filter and fill 1-1.2liters of new oil. No problem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve_97060

Posted April 20, 2008 - 08:15 AM

I never use the overflow bolt. Just drain, clean or replace oil filter and fill 1-1.2liters of new oil. No problem

same here... :thumbsup:

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 20, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, but that's the thing, sure it's easy if you're doing a complete drain...
But what about a situation like this...You're in Glamis, just went for a long couple hour sand ride in 85 degree heat on fresh oil...Get back, oil still looks pretty good, but you know you burned some off and want to top off the oil then go back out again after lunch......It's a PITA to get it accurate...

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2008 - 12:47 PM

Not really. It isn't as simple as a more traditional dry sump setup would be, but it's not that bad.

The difference between the top and bottom of the range marked on the stick is about 50-60cc. Just add it and check it. The trouble sets in if you overfill at all, because almost as soon as it goes past the top line on the stick, it starts being pushed back to the crankcase.

Besides, mine don't actually use a noticeable amount of oil between changes.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 20, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, the only time I really noticed it get low was in the instance above...But we went through a full tank, and then some, pretty much nonstop in the heat and sand...I wanted to drain/change it but I don't have an enclosed trailer, and didn't want to do it out in the sand/wind, and was a bit frustrated/worried about the dipstick not being accurate...
If I was able to figure out the exact location to put it, I'd prob look into having a machine shop customize the cover to incorporate a oil level/color window...

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 20, 2008 - 04:35 PM

Exhale...Cough...Yeah, you're right, pretty crazy...But it's just so damn handy on my 97 KX250!

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2008 - 06:41 PM

...(I) was a bit frustrated/worried about the dipstick not being accurate...
If I was able to figure out the exact location to put it, I'd prob look into having a machine shop customize the cover to incorporate a oil level/color window...

I don't find it inaccurate, except that once overfilled, it won't tell you much about how much overfilled it is.

A sight glass in a dry sump would need to be located in the "tank", the oil reservoir itself, unless an elaborate drain back level check system like that on the YZ250F was used.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 20, 2008 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I need to keep reminding myself that this is a RACE bike, and meant to have the oil changed every couple hours...No need for an elaborate sight glass in that situation..."Why check it, just change it"...right?...But for worrysome weekenders like me, it'd sure be nice to just stop and look down after riding a couple hours and see that the oil level is good, and not getting too dark...Especialy when there is dirt or sand caked all around the dipstick, and snot on the one tissue i have balled up in my pocket...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.