LineX on side cases?

31 replies to this topic
  • TJACK

Posted April 21, 2008 - 12:14 PM

I wonder, can they do the rhino liner spray glossy without the texture?
And is nobody worried about the heat/insulation factor from doing this?
Isn't one of the reasons to put an aftermarket cover on because it disperses heat more efficiently?

My buddy used to own a Line-X shop and you can adjust the texture from mirror smooth to very coarse. From what I've been told Line-x gives a much more even looking texture than Rhino because they spray it in at like 200 degrees.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 21, 2008 - 06:34 PM

I agree heat will not dissapate as fast with a layer of this stuff on

Sounds like some of you are just Blingers anyway....go ahead and spray your entire bike....heck nothing will ever get any wear on it......and it will weigh enough for a great boat anchor.....:thumbsup:

That sounds like a pretty bold blanket statement from someone whose never ridden with these guys before.

I'd have no problems doing the clutch or ignition covers on my WR. Why? Because after 870 miles the clutch and ignition covers look like crap. Whats wrong with wanting to preserve the look of the bike?

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 21, 2008 - 10:01 PM

Come on man, GA was obviously just kidding...This forum seems to be a pretty tight group of people...Nothing wrong with a little poking and prodding between "friends"...

Whats wrong with wanting to preserve the look of the bike?

Nothing, unless by doing so you're increasing the weight and heat of the bike...Which in this case it is, albeit it's minor, still...We try EVERYTHING possible to shed wieght, and run cooler...That's the only reason we're opposed to the idea...

• Ga426owner

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:09 AM

That sounds like a pretty bold blanket statement from someone whose never ridden with these guys before.

I'd have no problems doing the clutch or ignition covers on my WR. Why? Because after 870 miles the clutch and ignition covers look like crap. Whats wrong with wanting to preserve the look of the bike?

Thanks Goose but I can stickup for myself......:thumbsup:

What does riding with Blingers have to do with anything? I have riding friends that are blingers....some can ride fast but most are just interested in what their bike looks like, and are honestly not racers, and therefore novice to intermediate riders.....nothing against them.
I will be BOLD by saying that most "racers" that are just faster than poop could care a less about what their cases look like....although some do. I do not want to offend anyone that wants Bling...After 20yrs I spent 800.00 dollars on Black wheels and rims......but, I have one friend who chromed his entire frame, parts of the motor, the cases, swingarm and other parts powder coated....It looks stunning, but it is ridiculous and guess what...he is a pitsquid, barely even gets on the track and then he is in the way, I try to help him learn to keep his line....a real task.
Look if you are a lineX lover, spray on my friend. I think this stuff inhibits heat dissapation pure and simple and adds unnessary weight. I think there are better options for people that just hate the wear look that a MX bike naturally gets....like a GYTR or Hinson Clutch, Boyssen cover....or if you really want real world bling and can afford it....Rinaldi Ignition and clutch covers....or don't worry about it.....I sure do not lose sleep at night because my bikes look like they get riddin....:ride:

• KJ790

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:33 AM

The line-X on a clutch cover won't change the temp any noticeable amount. Very little heat is dissipated through the clutch cover as it is, and nobody here seems to know what the thermal resistance of the stuff actually is. For all anyone knows it could have a very low thermal resistance, which would actually make it dissipate more heat than stock, keeping the clutch cooler.

Remember, some people put carbon fiber covers over their stock clutch covers. I know that carbon fiber has a relatively high thermal resistance, and there will always be a tiny air gap between the two pieces, which will further insulate it. With this set up there is no noticeable difference in clutch or oil temp.

PS: I'm a blinger, but I like to think I can ride too.

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Trust me; Line-X is a very effective insulator. However, I agree with you, as I said before, that the amount of heat passed through these covers normally is not particularly significant.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:02 AM

Trust me; Line-X is a very effective insulator. However, I agree with you, as I said before, that the amount of heat passed through these covers normally is not particularly significant.

I do not doubt that it is an insulator, I just always see people flipping out about heat when in reality it won't make a difference. In certain cases adding insulation can actually keep it cooler.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Well, I guess if it doesn't really effect temp, and doing all three covers would add less than one pound, and apparently they can do it glossy instead of textured, and in different colors, and it's super cheap...Makes me reconsider my opposition to it...It has held up really well on my frame guards, very little wear with constant boot rub...

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2008 - 09:32 AM

In certain cases adding insulation can actually keep it cooler.

True, but not in this case. Still not a major issue here, though, I don't think.

• BRYANS01

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:04 AM

as far as the weight goes you would be talking ounces not pounds and give me a break even if it was 1 pound worth of spray(which would be crazy on just some covers) we all know that we could go to mickey D's just one less night a week and problem solved. And myself i dont care about an extra few ounces thats as dumb to as buying ti. bolts to save weight I understand they are stronger but come on, each to there own i guess.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 22, 2008 - 11:15 AM

as far as the weight goes you would be talking ounces not pounds and give me a break even if it was 1 pound worth of spray(which would be crazy on just some covers) we all know that we could go to mickey D's just one less night a week and problem solved. And myself i dont care about an extra few ounces thats as dumb to as buying ti. bolts to save weight I understand they are stronger but come on, each to there own i guess.

You're right, I agree...The weight issue would be more for someone who wants to go all out and do the frame, and other parts...Which definitely would be a big difference...There was a noticeable difference in the weight of my carbon fiber frame guards before and after (I was suprised how much heavier they were)
I have a line-x right around the corner, literally...I'll swing by and ask a few questions...'Cause like I said...If it is only a few ounces, doesn't effect temp, comes glossy, and in color...I'm game...It definitely doesn't scratch up like paint...

• BRYANS01

Posted April 22, 2008 - 11:20 AM

:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.