Help identify hot cams

6 replies to this topic
  • DRZ_Dad

Posted April 17, 2008 - 04:31 PM

I picked up a 06 yz450 motor a couple months back, the seller told me it has hot cams........

Since I am in the middle of freshing it up, is there a way to identify the cams as either being stock or hot cams?

Thanks..........

• todds924

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:04 PM

I picked up a 06 yz450 motor a couple months back, the seller told me it has hot cams........

Since I am in the middle of freshing it up, is there a way to identify the cams as either being stock or hot cams?

Thanks..........

You can pull the valve cover and look. The hot cams are darkish brown in color and will have "HC" and the part number stamped on them.

• Birdy426

Posted April 17, 2008 - 08:58 PM

I don't recall having a part number stamped on mine...but the intake cam has an adjustable sprocket...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRZ_Dad

Posted April 18, 2008 - 05:17 AM

thanks for the info, there is no part numbers on them, and the intake cam is not adjustable, there is a blue marker paint on the shaft of the exhaust cam......

• jbrooks26

Posted April 18, 2008 - 05:28 AM

The best way to tell for sure would be to measure them out per your owners manual. If they don't match at least you will know that they are not OEM. Hope this helps.

Josh

• Birdy426

Posted April 18, 2008 - 10:13 AM

You might try calling or e-mailing hotcams to ask how to tell. They were very helpful answering questions for me before I bought.

• todds924

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:43 PM

thanks for the info, there is no part numbers on them, and the intake cam is not adjustable, there is a blue marker paint on the shaft of the exhaust cam......

That sounds oem to me...a blue paint mark. Thehot cams i recently took out of an 06 450 were a dark brown color and had "HC-0000000" stamped on each one. I don't remember the exact part number but it was after the "HC"

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.