Castrol power 1 vs. Yamalube

8 replies to this topic
  • Stu2

Posted April 17, 2008 - 04:43 AM

I have always used Castrol power 1 in my 07 WR 250 as I get it for a good price and it seems fine. I had some work done at the Yamaha dealer and they changed oil for me and used Yamalube. I was suprised to notice that it shifted much easier and was not as 'notchy'. I thought I might have imagined it but when I changed back to Castrol it was harder to shift, has anyone else used Yamalube? Thoughts on using it ?

• barton

Posted April 17, 2008 - 05:26 AM

Yamalube is pretty good stuff, and if it shifts better for you, then yes it's probably the oil. Lot's of guys have reported better shifting with various kinds of oil.

Yamalube is expensive though. Believe it or not, many cheaper oils are very good as well. Look for posts on oil by moderator Sunruh for the best advice on which oils to use. He sends in a lot of samples for testing after trying them out in his bike. I'd put more weight in his opinions on lubrication in our high-shear transmissions than most lubrication engineers.

• off_road_4_me

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:35 AM

yamalube is good stuff, but I switched to bel-ray 10w40 and love it, Ive run yamalube, valvoline, and now the bel ray stuff, Im sticking with bel ray :thumbsup:

• WR250F Captain

Posted April 17, 2008 - 01:48 PM

yamalube is good stuff, but I switched to bel-ray 10w40 and love it, Ive run yamalube, valvoline, and now the bel ray stuff, Im sticking with bel ray :thumbsup:

I went from Yamalube to Bel-Ray, it shifts so much smoother. I'm going to try out Amsoil, there test show it lubricates better, and has more power.

• PDBRacer

Posted April 17, 2008 - 05:11 PM

i use yamaha lube for my 2-strokes.

but for 250F mod bike i use the best maxium extra full syth retail around $13 a quart yeah its expensive and they also have the very best top of the line 2stroke oil i ran before forever the name but its like $15 a quart crazy prices.

you thought yamahalube was expensive haha. oh my lil car gets $3 or less quart of oil and not changed very often.

• ofrdrcr

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Have you had any issues with hitting neutral. 04 yz 250f, low hours, change oil every other ride. any ideas?

• Stu2

Posted April 18, 2008 - 03:02 AM

@ofrdrcr I dont have a problem hitting neutral but when I use the Castrol it sometimes shifts back down to 3rd just after Ive shifted to 4th! Ive found if I dont shift positively it happens nearly every time, but much less with the Yamalube.

• thumpinyami59

Posted April 18, 2008 - 04:51 AM

I went from Yamalube to Bel-Ray, it shifts so much smoother. I'm going to try out Amsoil, there test show it lubricates better, and has more power.

Are you talking the EXL stuff or a different version of belray

• WR250F Captain

Posted April 18, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Are you talking the EXL stuff or a different version of belray

I used there thumper oil, the EXL, EXS(i think), and there superbike oil. all performed nearly the same.

but the SB oil definately is a bit better.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.