Wiseco gave up the Ghost *Nasty Pics*

48 replies to this topic
  • almostinvincible119

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:39 AM

Dont worry, I'm not anymore. I used to be a huge wiseco believer. But now, I wouldnt use their pistons to throw at a dead dog. And I'm going to advise everyone that I know not to as well.

It was supposed to be just a standard maintenance piston swap. Anyways, as unfortunate as it is. Everything happens for a reason.

• DirtbikeLP

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:55 AM

almostinvincible: i didnt think to look what section it was in. the internals look almost identical to my crf250r is why i said that but incase u didnt notice i also said i see five valves which would make me think its a yami. i wasnt saying you shouldnt split the cases to clean the metal out because i would do that myself but theres no reason to have someone else split the cases when its so easy to do. as long as you have the tools and parts before you start it would probably take a max of 3 days from start to havin it runnin.

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2008 - 08:35 AM

heres the problem. sunday, my mechanic/sponsor got into a wreck and broke his collarbone, 3 ribs and punctured a lung. I think I'm going to take the bike to him, he has all the tools, and let him walk me through it. With me being his hands and him being the brains, I'm sure we can get it done, and maybe I'll learn something in the process. Im just afraid of the tranny fallin apart right when i split the cases apart.

Can that actually happen? lol

also, I've never broke cases before, is there a center gasket or something? I couldnt find it on the microfiche

This sounds like the best option. You'll learn how, avoid mistakes due to the guidance, and probably get a break on the work.

The trans can fall apart, but it doesn't have to. Your mechanic will show you how to avoid it. Basically, if you take the right case half off of the assembly you can keep everything in the left side fairly easily.

There is no center gasket in a YZF. Hondas have them. But don't worry about that detail. You'll be working with a professional; he won't let you slip up.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity.

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 17, 2008 - 10:04 AM

yeh, i was hoping to have him help. once he gets off his pain killers and visits the ortho, im gonna give him a call to see. So grey: how do the center cases seal up?

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 17, 2008 - 10:08 AM

almostinvincible: i didnt think to look what section it was in. the internals look almost identical to my crf250r is why i said that but incase u didnt notice i also said i see five valves which would make me think its a yami. i wasnt saying you shouldnt split the cases to clean the metal out because i would do that myself but theres no reason to have someone else split the cases when its so easy to do. as long as you have the tools and parts before you start it would probably take a max of 3 days from start to havin it runnin.

by the way, its cool. not your fault. we all overlook some stuff.

I just want to thank everyone here for helping me keep my heart in it. Its been hard the past few weeks. Its been a string of bad luck with my bike lately.

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2008 - 10:14 AM

... how do the center cases seal up?

They rely on the machined metal-metal surface and a specialized sealer. Most any kind of RTV silicon will work, but there are better choices that will last longer. GM makes a couple of sealants for joints like this since they use them a lot. But GM sealants tend to be really expensive over the counter in small quantities. Again, your tech should be able to direct you to the right stuff.

The process is simple; clean the joint of all the old sealer, then remove any solvent residue with brake cleaner, apply the sealer and assemble. What is cool about the GM anaerobic sealer is that it will tolerate more oil residue than most, and will only set up in the absence of air, so it doesn't skin over or dry out during the assembly, and you don't have to completely redo the whole cleanup thing if the cases have to open back up for some reason.

• Markopolo400

Posted April 17, 2008 - 11:39 AM

Dont worry, I'm not anymore. I used to be a huge wiseco believer. But now, I wouldnt use their pistons to throw at a dead dog. And I'm going to advise everyone that I know not to as well.

Great idea, bash a product because you messed up.

PM TT user Wiseone, he works for Wiseco and might be able to help you out.

• SXP

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:27 PM

yeh, i was hoping to have him help. once he gets off his pain killers and visits the ortho, im gonna give him a call to see. So grey: how do the center cases seal up?

Yamabond. About $6 a tube from your dealer. Used it on both my 400s when I bumped up the displacement and upgraded the cranks to 426 specs. One bike has 7000 miles (about 400 hours) since the upgrade and the seal has held up just fine.

• MaxPower

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:53 PM

[COLOR="Green"]why did you choose a wiesco over a stock piston?[/COLOR]

• thorracing271

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Im afraid. I just bought a new Wiseco Hi comp piston for my 250f. Why do i have to read this stuff right before an install? HAHAHHA:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Actually, this does have the look of a clip falling out. The reason I say that is that only one side of the wrist pin boss is broken. This suggests that the clip fell away, the pin backed out until it was supported only by one side of the boss. At that point, the rocking strain on the boss would have broken it.

Wrist pin clips should be installed with the open end at 12:00 o'clock or at six, with 12 being preferable, to prevent the inertia of the piston changing directions flexing the clip out of place.

You've got to figure out what happened so the problem doesn't repeat itself. I have to agree 100% with Grayracer on this one. If the clip didn't come out then both sides of the piston would be broken. As mentioned above, the open end of the clip must be pointed directly in-line with the direction that the rod moves. Like pacman, the open part faces his direction of motion. Otherwise the g-force at high rpm can cause the clip to compress and come loose, then the wrist ping backs out and half the piston breaks. The devil is always in the details. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

• varndito

Posted April 17, 2008 - 03:12 PM

That damage looks gnarly. I'm glad I pulled the hi-comp wiseco out of my crf450 and put the stocker back in last weekend. After you do the bottom end you'll pretty much know everything there is to know about dirt bike engine building except say for head porting and valve install so you'll be learning a valuable skill. I'd be stoked to do a bottom end with a pro, thats the one thing my mechanic skills are missing. To bad it had to be learned this way though but all things happen for a reason.

• todds924

Posted April 17, 2008 - 04:38 PM

heres the problem. sunday, my mechanic/sponsor got into a wreck and broke his collarbone, 3 ribs and punctured a lung. I think I'm going to take the bike to him, he has all the tools, and let him walk me through it. With me being his hands and him being the brains, I'm sure we can get it done, and maybe I'll learn something in the process. Im just afraid of the tranny fallin apart right when i split the cases apart.

Can that actually happen? lol

also, I've never broke cases before, is there a center gasket or something? I couldnt find it on the microfiche

The tranny will not "fall apart". When you split the cases, everything will stay in the RIGHT half of the case.

• Vintage Not Pimpage

Posted April 17, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I cant believe your blaming this on wiseco... get the pro mechanic to install the circlips next time :thumbsup:

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Great idea, bash a product because you messed up.

PM TT user Wiseone, he works for Wiseco and might be able to help you out.

no, i didnt screw up. i checked the wristpin about 6 times. i always do. and apperantly its not uncommon for wiseco pistons to let go.

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:53 PM

[COLOR="Green"]why did you choose a wiesco over a stock piston?[/COLOR]

well. figured forged piston...ya know. but oh well. ive always had good luck with them before.

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:54 PM

You've got to figure out what happened so the problem doesn't repeat itself. I have to agree 100% with Grayracer on this one. If the clip didn't come out then both sides of the piston would be broken. As mentioned above, the open end of the clip must be pointed directly in-line with the direction that the rod moves. Like pacman, the open part faces his direction of motion. Otherwise the g-force at high rpm can cause the clip to compress and come loose, then the wrist ping backs out and half the piston breaks. The devil is always in the details. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

the clip opening was straight up. the clip failed. it had to

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:56 PM

I cant believe your blaming this on wiseco... get the pro mechanic to install the circlips next time :thumbsup:

once agian, if you havent noticed, wiseco makes crappy stuff. peoples pistons break in half on here all the time....go with a CP brother

• 642MX

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:05 PM

wiseco makes crappy stuff. peoples pistons break in half on here all the time....go with a CP brother

I've used Wiseco pistons in every bike I've owned (20 years worth of riding) and I've never had a problem. Do you think I'm lucky? :thumbsup:

• 2strokenut

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:18 PM

once agian, if you havent noticed, wiseco makes crappy stuff. peoples pistons break in half on here all the time....go with a CP brother

I dont know if you havent noticed but almost every factory team runs a wiseco (JE)piston in their race bikes. You think they like pistons that break in half? Apparently yours is an anomaly:excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.