07 Wr 450 problems

10 replies to this topic
  • ducatiwv

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:25 PM

Guys I ve been trying to get the 07 WR jetted correctly forever, I have the Jd jet kit and it runs great from just above the pilot circuit. I have a 48 pilot now, did have a 45 . It has a very bad hesitation at low throttle. I also have the adj fuel screw. I ve tried NUMEROUS times adj the fuel screw and it makes no difference in the idle speed. I also read the how to confirm pilot circuit, and when i turn the screw in or out, nothing happens to idle. With the 48 pilot in the carb, i turned the fuel screw all the way in. Now the bike runs fine, no hesitation. I know this means i need a smaller pilot, but i also know the 45 didnt work, would you guys try a 42? I also called Jd jetting and they seem to think it might be an air leak, but i cant find anything wrong there either , or a bad adj screw ...HELP ....thanks guys....Larry

I ve posted this in the jetting forum, but have a big ride planned in two days and need Help. Thought maybe some of you WR owners might have the same problem...

• tweav

Posted April 16, 2008 - 04:21 PM

on my 07 I'm running a dynojet jet kit with 42 pilot a 150mainjet needle on the 3rd groove down and a rd power bowl 1/2 turn out. I ran the bike on the dyno to get this setting at 75 degrees and 750ft above sea level . I really think jetting a bike on a dyno is the only way to it . I got tired of tearing the bike all apart , these bikes suck to work on the carb , so I opt'd to just set it right no guessing.

• dazzabb

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:14 PM

It sounds like a 42 is the place to start.

You might also want to check that the spring, o-ring and washer are installed in the correct oder on the fuel screw.

Some of these after market screws have a habit of working loose on these big vibrating 4T engines, you can minimise this by running a 2nd o-ring in the groove on the shaft - assuming the screw you bought has a groove on the shaft.

• timoyz1

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:32 PM

If it just has a hesitation from idle, it could be your AP timing. With the subframe off, looking into the back of the carb, hit the throttle and make sure the stream just misses the slide. Fiddle with it until it hits the slide, and then go back so it doesn't.

• tunefx

Posted April 16, 2008 - 07:22 PM

Guys I ve been trying to get the 07 WR jetted correctly forever, I have the Jd jet kit and it runs great from just above the pilot circuit. I have a 48 pilot now, did have a 45 . It has a very bad hesitation at low throttle. I also have the adj fuel screw. I ve tried NUMEROUS times adj the fuel screw and it makes no difference in the idle speed. I also read the how to confirm pilot circuit, and when i turn the screw in or out, nothing happens to idle. With the 48 pilot in the carb, i turned the fuel screw all the way in. Now the bike runs fine, no hesitation. I know this means i need a smaller pilot, but i also know the 45 didnt work, would you guys try a 42? I also called Jd jetting and they seem to think it might be an air leak, but i cant find anything wrong there either , or a bad adj screw ...HELP ....thanks guys....Larry

I ve posted this in the jetting forum, but have a big ride planned in two days and need Help. Thought maybe some of you WR owners might have the same problem...

I know this will not be much detail. But I ride in WV w/ '07 WR450 also. (Live in VA)

I put the GYTR AIS removal kit (includes jets, needle, etc.) I never changed the fuel screw--just followed all the instructions. It runs perfectly and starts with ease (hot or cold). I recently added DrD pipe. Didn't have to change any jetting.

If you need me to look up the details, PM me and I'll go dig them up. I have them written down somewhere.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:27 PM

Did the idle slow when turning the fuel screw inwards with the #45 pilot jet?
The fuel screw should be having some effect or your pilot circuit is too rich or there is an air leak. If the #45 is giving you control of the idle circuit and slows the motor, use it and look elsewhere.

Does the accelerator pump squirt fuel? Might it be clogged?
Check for a squirt with the carb out from the inlet boot.

Does the fuel screw have it's spring, washer, and O-ring? -It needs them installed and in good condition.

Did you try comparing the Red marked needle in clip positions #4 and #5? These settings may help, either of them has potential to give you the best response.

Try using the thicker O-ring from the kit on the accelerator pump linkage for better response.

Call again if you're still having difficulty. I don't screen posts very often.

Thanks,
James

• sts475

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:04 PM

on my 07 I'm running a dynojet jet kit with 42 pilot a 150mainjet needle on the 3rd groove down and a rd power bowl 1/2 turn out. I ran the bike on the dyno to get this setting at 75 degrees and 750ft above sea level . I really think jetting a bike on a dyno is the only way to it . I got tired of tearing the bike all apart , these bikes suck to work on the carb , so I opt'd to just set it right no guessing.

WOW!

That's way lean! I don't think my bike would even run with that jetting!
Nobody I know can use the 45 pilot and start their bike with any regularity. Everyone seems to be running the 48. My bike would not run right with anything less than a 168 and I've never heard of anyone running anything leaner. I am curious to know how that thing runs. Did you use an EGA when you dynoed it? I agree that working on the carb sucks!

Good Luck!

STS.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:21 PM

WOW!

That's way lean! I don't think my bike would even run with that jetting!
Nobody I know can use the 45 pilot and start their bike with any regularity. Everyone seems to be running the 48. My bike would not run right with anything less than a 168 and I've never heard of anyone running anything leaner. I am curious to know how that thing runs. Did you use an EGA when you dynoed it? I agree that working on the carb sucks!

Good Luck!

STS.

I believe the dynojet runs mains that are that small because of the needle.

• clark4131

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:25 PM

I believe the dynojet runs mains that are that small because of the needle.

You are correct sir :thumbsup:...SC

• Idaho450

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:44 PM

I run a 45 pilot, 165 main, red 4 needle at 3,000 feet and it starts/runs well.

Lots of people run a 48 at your altitude with good results. JD's probably right that it's something else.

How did you determine the 45 didn't work? A 42 sounds pretty lean for low country.

• ducatiwv

Posted April 27, 2008 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, but i went with a 42 pilot, red needle in 4th slot, and it runs great now, just need to fine tune the fuel screw some, but its so much better....appreciate all the help....Larry

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.