CA DS 426 Broke Valve (What to Do?)

13 replies to this topic
  • skybry

Posted April 16, 2008 - 02:50 PM

I have a 2000 426 that has a CA license plate. Over the last two months I put $600 in parts on it and a couple weeks ago it seized up right on the face of a jump.
Anyways took the engine apart to see what went wrong and one of the intake valves broke off and did major damage to the head, valves, piston and bent the rod. Parts are estimated at around $2000. I'm thinking about putting the 2g's on a new bike.
What should I do? Put the money in the YZ or junk it (how much would a scrap yard give me for it?). Sending CA plated dirt bike to the junk yard doesn't seem right. What would you guys do?

• BRYANS01

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:26 PM

part it out on ebay you can still prob. pull about 1000 out of it just in parts:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:43 PM

I don't know how much you'd eventually get for the parts, really. The big ticket is the wheels. Then the forks. After that, it's all low dollar stuff and would take a long time. A junk yard will steal it from you. With the plate, it may be salable as is on ebay for more than the part out.

• BRYANS01

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:57 PM

depending on the exhaust you have on there and wheels that can be about 700 alone just look on there and see whats selling and make the call for yourself ive been buying and selling on there and doing pretty good dont see why it would be any diff for you.

• USED YZ426F

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:31 AM

I would think that the frame with the plate and title would fetch a decent price. Especially if you find someone who wants to plate their 426 (just swap engines?).

A junk yard will low ball you. And parting it out will eventually get you more money. What is your time and effort worth to you?

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:52 AM

I would put it up as a roller on craigslist.Somebody will buy it just because of the plate.

Or look on ebay for a motor and swap it out if yours is in real bad shape.

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2008 - 08:26 AM

A junk yard will low ball you.

That's a polite way to put it, I suppose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skybry

Posted April 17, 2008 - 11:24 AM

Will a 03 or newer WR/YZ 450 motor fit in the 2000 frame and what mods would I have to do to make it work?

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:15 PM

The swing arm bolt is a different diameter, I believe, but there are removable steel sleeves in the crankcase where the bolt passes through them, and they can be custom made to fit if required. The next most critical point would be th elower mount point under the engine. In a worst case situation, you could cut the mounts off the frame and relocate them.

Then, all that's left is the front mounts and the head stays, each of which consist of flat metal plates that can be easily custom fabbed if necessary. I don't know that the engine will bolt straight in, and in fact, I don't think it will, but it should not be too difficult. '03-'05 YZF or '03-'06 WR 450 is what you need. The later ones would somewhat harder to adapt.

• skybry

Posted April 17, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Gray, I knew you would come though for me. I'm thinking my frame and license plate on a WR with E-start might be worth it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 19, 2008 - 09:39 PM

I have a 2000 426 that has a CA license plate. Over the last two months I put $600 in parts on it and a couple weeks ago it seized up right on the face of a jump.
Anyways took the engine apart to see what went wrong and one of the intake valves broke off and did major damage to the head, valves, piston and bent the rod. Parts are estimated at around $2000. I'm thinking about putting the 2g's on a new bike.
What should I do? Put the money in the YZ or junk it (how much would a scrap yard give me for it?). Sending CA plated dirt bike to the junk yard doesn't seem right. What would you guys do?

Why not just fix it for the $2K. There's no way you replace a plated bike for less than $7500.

This is a $2000 problem, its not a $7500 problem.

• BASSic

Posted April 20, 2008 - 06:09 PM

$2000 seems like a lot for parts. Have you shopped around? The TT OEM store is a good place, and there are several other places online that are about the same price, give or take a few cents.

If you shop around, $425 will get you an aftermarket 444cc overbored cylinder, piston,rings,pin, clips, and gasket.

Find a machine shop and see if your head is still repairable; then it sounds like new valves, springs, a new rod, and while you're in there, you might as well get new crank bearings too.

It's definitely not a cheap repair, but for the price you'll have one of the baddest dual sports around with a practically new engine.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 20, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yeah I would definately shop around. I know the oem valves, springs, seats, etc. is real cheap for that year because they are stainless steel and not titanium. In fact I was thinking about switching to the stainless stuff when I rebuild my head. I would look for parts either here on TT or ebay or somewhere else on the net. $2000 sounds like dealer quote to me?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 20, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Check out this used head on ebay. Here is the item # 280219913880. It's off of a 2000 426.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.