throttle stop and cnd grey wire mod???

17 replies to this topic
  • wartsnuff

Posted April 16, 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hey Guys,

i just got back from the dealership,i would like post these intructions i got from the dealer. but its in PDF format and i have no where to put it.

please let me know if anyone knows if there is no GREY wire mod for these cnd bikes??

the instructions states that :

"U.S units will have the grey wire from the CDI unit to modify. this is not present on the Canadian models"

Anyone have any ideas ?

i was going to take the air box silencer out, exhaust restrictor and the thottle stop change. i was not going to knock/cut out the right side air box ?

should i or is it ok not to ? i would rather loose a little power than have the air cleaner so exposed thought ?

cheers
Warts

• hoople

Posted April 16, 2008 - 01:23 PM

I did the grey wire mod on my CDN bike, I would only take the binoculars and plate( under the battery box) out of the air box
you will probably have to re jet also

• wartsnuff

Posted April 16, 2008 - 01:37 PM

I did the grey wire mod on my CDN bike, I would only take the binoculars and plate( under the battery box) out of the air box
you will probably have to re jet also

thanks for the quick reply, but why does the instructions state cnd bikes dont have the grey wire mod. is it emmisions based anyhow ?

maybe cause we don't have the tougher emmision as our southern friends ?

cheers
Warts

• hoople

Posted April 16, 2008 - 01:51 PM

I believe by cutting the grey wire it gives you different ignition timing map for the full throttle range you will have after you change the throttle stop, could someone second me on that

• Seabass

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:04 PM

Take off, eh.

• wartsnuff

Posted April 17, 2008 - 05:51 AM

I am not sure guys,

but i did the air box mod, and the little 2 rivot restrictor and the throttle stop.

the pipe never went red. and the bike pulled like a frieght train.. now this is why i bought a 450... i thought it was me but the bike was sorta sucky all bottled up. why would they bottle it up that much.. for Cali emmissions ?

strange. now i am very happy.

made 1 mistake. i will make new post with picture.

• jbrooks26

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:50 AM

Bikes manufactured for sale in Canada do not have the grey wire. It is possible that you have an american bike I suppose, the only way to know for sure is to look for the wire. Your owners manual will have an electrical drawing in it, on this drawing you can determine what connector the wire may be installed in by following it from the CDI. I know on the older models(mine is an 02 426) there is only one grey wire on the bike. You will also notice that this wire is noted to be on the USA models only. Hope this helps.

Josh

• tribalbc

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:59 AM

Bikes manufactured for sale in Canada do not have the grey wire. It is possible that you have an american bike I suppose, the only way to know for sure is to look for the wire. Your owners manual will have an electrical drawing in it, on this drawing you can determine what connector the wire may be installed in by following it from the CDI. I know on the older models(mine is an 02 426) there is only one grey wire on the bike. You will also notice that this wire is noted to be on the USA models only. Hope this helps.

Josh

My 07 and every other WR I've known in Canada had a grey wire :thumbsup:

• jbrooks26

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:32 AM

In the 02 manual figure 6-1 clearly states that the USA models are the only ones that have the grey wire. Lower left corner of the diagram. I just looked at the 07 and it appears that this wire is there but it does not appear to be used. Same figure number. Hope this helps.

Josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wartsnuff

Posted April 17, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Guys,

i am thinking that the wire might be there, but not used.

but i am unsure. for now. the bike pulls so hard. i will get used before going for more power.

• Doc200

Posted April 24, 2008 - 05:05 AM

There definitely is a grey wire on the Cdn '07 WR450. I just disabled it by pulling the pin. There are two six-pin connectors on the CDI box behind the left-side number plate/cover and the grey wire is in one of them. Whether it does anything or not is another matter. I'm going to Hatfield McCoy this weekend so I'll try to see if there is a difference. As to the controversy about whether the Cdn bikes have them or not, check the FAQ, and I quote, "First thing, forget about the dealer, the guy is an idiot. Your warranty is only good for 30 days anyway and if you bought an extended warranty for a competition-level dirt bike, well...I won't even go there. TT is the DEFINITIVE source for accurate and experienced information on the WR. Dealers and their employees have been proven to be completely ignorant regarding their products 99.9% of the time. Trust TT, you won't be sorry."

• Fast Forward

Posted April 24, 2008 - 05:38 AM

As a previous owner of a 2005 WR450 I can confirm that it had a grey wire. 2005 was the first year Canadian WR's were delivered with it.

• wartsnuff

Posted April 25, 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hey Guys,

still following this thread to see what everyone says.

the instructions i got with my YZ throttle stop kit.. stated " GREY WIRE MOD USA bike only... the wire exists but does nothing on the CND bikes.

just what it said, i am not stating its true or not.

i have done the throttle stop, and the AIS removal. the bike pulls like a frieght train... it did 150km/h on gravel road. thats like 93mph

cheers
thanks for all the replys and help
Warts

• brad the best

Posted April 25, 2008 - 04:54 PM

i have a Canadian wr , cut the grey wire on it .

• tribalbc

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:00 AM

Well I never tried my 07 with the grey wire connected so I can't tell you if it made a difference :thumbsup:
Won't hurt anything disconnecting just to be sure :ride:

• WRC

Posted April 26, 2008 - 02:39 PM

I unhooked the grey wire on my 07 WR 450 (USA) I did notice a slight performance gain. But it also seemed to give the bike alot more engine braking on downhill runs. I didnt like that feature so I hooked it backup.:thumbsup:

• willy_fitz

Posted April 26, 2008 - 04:58 PM

According to my sources within Yamaha Canada once you have done the throttle stop mod and the pollution kit you should cut the grey wire to match up the mapping that goes along with the new throttle settings you now have.
The WR verision sold in Canada for the last few years is a North American version which is why you will notice that the Canadian bike has a US Forestry Approved Spark Arrestor. If you have the original exhaust this is the tip off to cut the grey wire.:thumbsup:

• wartsnuff

Posted April 27, 2008 - 06:51 AM

According to my sources within Yamaha Canada once you have done the throttle stop mod and the pollution kit you should cut the grey wire to match up the mapping that goes along with the new throttle settings you now have.
The WR verision sold in Canada for the last few years is a North American version which is why you will notice that the Canadian bike has a US Forestry Approved Spark Arrestor. If you have the original exhaust this is the tip off to cut the grey wire.:thumbsup:

Why do my YZ throttle stop instructions say.... NOT to cut the grey wire?

it exists, but is not used on the cdn bikes. thats YAMAHA's instructions ?

i am confused. i guess i just have to try it.

but still not convienced anyone really knows.

cheers
Warts

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.