Water pump "weep" seal?

7 replies to this topic
  • eagle94haslanded

Posted April 15, 2008 - 10:15 PM

Is it common for that seal to leak? If so, easy fix?

• matt4x4

Posted April 16, 2008 - 04:19 AM

When they start leaking, it drips out the weep hole, it's something that'll happen to all eventually since it's a part that wears over time and use.
Pretty easy fix.
This would be for my 2000 but similar for others...
Posted Image

• eagle94haslanded

Posted April 16, 2008 - 04:42 AM

Ok, just curious because I think I'm going to buy a 03 wr450 and it has that problem..... I know my way around a motor well and it looks like an easy fix. Thanks.

• clark4131

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:12 AM

Before you buy the '03, make sure it has the woodruff key issue resolved. Lots of info on it in the archives...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dube2

Posted April 16, 2008 - 07:08 AM

I did my 05 and figured if I have the case open to replace all seals at that time. Spent aprx. $20 in parts-n-pieces and did everything myself. I really took my time and made sure all was good before installing the case. No issues. Maybe 3-hours including the time to drive to my local Yam dealer.

Pretty easy, Turn on FUEL TV, send your son to the fridge for a beer, tell the wife not to bother you for 3-hours, maybe have her make you a sandwitch first, clear a spot on your work bench, lay down some towels so those tiny parts don't roll off and just do a step by step dismantel.

GOOD LUCK:ride:

• kskyles

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:47 AM

it's an easy fix. every WR owner needs to do it eventually.

i would replace the impeller shaft and the seals. the shaft in my '05 was scored, so it would have leaked after replacing the seal.

• jord

Posted April 16, 2008 - 11:00 AM

i just fixed mine today on 2000 yz 426 its easy m8 hardest part was loosening the shaft from the impeller.i replaced the shaft barings and seals,the seals must go in so that the flat bit is facing each seal and the grooved bit is facing outwardsso that you can see the groove once the seals are inplace. i found all the info on this site!! good luck. only took me about 1 .5 hours!!!

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:26 PM

I did my 05 and figured if I have the case open to replace all seals at that time. Spent aprx. $20 in parts-n-pieces and did everything myself. I really took my time and made sure all was good before installing the case. No issues. Maybe 3-hours including the time to drive to my local Yam dealer.

Pretty easy, Turn on FUEL TV, send your son to the fridge for a beer, tell the wife not to bother you for 3-hours, maybe have her make you a sandwitch first, clear a spot on your work bench, lay down some towels so those tiny parts don't roll off and just do a step by step dismantel.

GOOD LUCK:ride:

Now thats a plan. If beer is involved in a WR repair. Bring it on :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.