No reviews available
Be the first to review this

Yamaha YZ250 2014

Last review by MSEG77

Yamaha YZ250F 2016

Last review by essin

Yamaha WR450F 2016

Last review by TwentyFive20

PCC Motor 19"/16" FRONT/REAR HONDA CRF150R MX WHEEL WHEELS SET BLACK RIM RED HUB 07-15

Last review by MotoX88294
* * * * -
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Wheel Interchange: What fits what?

Yamaha YZ450F Yamaha YZ250F Yamaha YZ426F Yamaha YZ400F Yamaha YZ250 Yamaha WR450F Yamaha WR250F Yamaha WR426F Yamaha WR250 Tires & Wheels Wheels

• Please sign in to reply

141 replies to this topic
  • w1ld2m1ld

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted August 08, 2008 - 10:58 AM

Thanks a million!

• sps3172

TT Member

36 posts

Posted August 23, 2008 - 03:12 PM

I presume the '09 models will complicate this with their larger rear axle?

• grayracer513
42,900 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 23, 2008 - 06:54 PM

Yup..

• waterman7474

TT Member

86 posts

Posted December 17, 2008 - 10:11 AM

just found this post and i'm wondering if i can get some clarification here on the rear. i've read through this 20 times and my ADD is really giving me hell and now i'm quite confused on "what" can be mixed with "what"... so here's my situation:

i have an 04wr450 and (from what i can tell) i inadvertently bought a 98-earlier hub (it has a axle that is much smaller and the spacing is way off).
if i were to get bearings (like the ones referenced below or otherwise) and spacers to make this work, what exactly do i need...?

thanks
flynn

I just went through all of this on SMJunky, and a guy named "Whaler" helped me find a brg to fit the 22mm axle and the 42mm hub... you need to go to, of all places, unicycle.com . Here is a quote from him.

Whaler... "How about something a little closer to home for you... like Calgary...
http://unicycle.cc/i....roducts_id=178
You need the "ISIS" bearings...
At $8 a pair you can't lose....

For what it's worth even if the bearings are only rated at ABEC-1 they would still be plenty good enough for a motorcycle. The only problem I can see with a unicycle bearing is the bike may want to wheelie more, to get back to it's unicycle roots..."

I did get a message back from a fellow at the website and here is what he gave me...

Hello Jamie

I don't know whether these bearings are designed for your intended use. You can obtain them from our sister shop in the USA: [COLOR="Red"]http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1015[/COLOR] for $8 each. If they turn out to be unsuitable then you've not wasted a huge amount of money...

Keep it wheel!
Tony Melton

If you check out the link directly above, you will see a pic of the brg....

Jamie
www.unicycle.co.nz

• grayracer513
42,900 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 17, 2008 - 10:20 AM

That bearing (the second link works when pasted to a browser) will get the axle into the hub. After that, you'll need to fab a spacer to go between the bearings. Then you'll be on your own for seals and external spacers and alignment.

Sounds like a lot of work. I wouldn't bother with it.

• waterman7474

TT Member

86 posts

Posted December 17, 2008 - 11:23 AM

that's what i needed to know,

thanks!

• JKoz

TT Bronze Member

111 posts

Posted August 29, 2009 - 04:34 AM

Great info! But I still have an on going issue. Just missed out on a set of exact wheel for my WR450 2006.

I found a set of complete wheels from a 2004 YZY450/ Looks like the rear will be a direct bolt on. The front -- is there an easy way to make the speedo drive work or is that just impossible?

Thanks in advance!!

• grayracer513
42,900 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 29, 2009 - 07:27 AM

I found a set of complete wheels from a 2004 YZY450/ Looks like the rear will be a direct bolt on. The front -- is there an easy way to make the speedo drive work or is that just impossible?

The WR front hub is different, having a notch cut in it to drive the speedo that the YZ lacks. You would need to look the two over side by side to see if there is something you could do, but I don't imagine it would be simple. Remember that the speedo drive is also the right side bearing seal on the WR.

• JKoz

TT Bronze Member

111 posts

Posted August 29, 2009 - 03:34 PM

The WR front hub is different, having a notch cut in it to drive the speedo that the YZ lacks. You would need to look the two over side by side to see if there is something you could do, but I don't imagine it would be simple. Remember that the speedo drive is also the right side bearing seal on the WR.

THANKS, even though that's not what I wanted to here. I guess I'll hold out until I find a set of WR specific Wheels.

• JKoz

TT Bronze Member

111 posts

Posted August 31, 2009 - 06:17 PM

grayracer513

Wheels are a headache. Warp9 doesn't offer anything that allows the use of my factory speedo. I found these -- http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Off a 2009 WR250x --------- will these work ???
I never thought it would be this big of a pain to get a set of wheels. I guess it wouldn't be if I wanted to spend $1200 on a pair of wheels.

• grayracer513
42,900 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 31, 2009 - 07:43 PM

Off a 2009 WR250x --------- will these work ???

Doubt it. Different hub.

• yz007f

TT Bronze Member

400 posts

Posted September 02, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Would anyone know if the 09' 450 rear bearing if into a 06 hub without the third bearing? I would guess not, I got a set of 06 yzf450 rims so I'm guessing I'll change out the hub for a 09' hub and bearing set..

• SNO-PRO

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted September 28, 2009 - 11:12 AM

So I believe 09/10 yz450 wheels are the same correct?
Also is it correct that the front wheel will interchange with older bikes(03 and up)?
I know the rear wheel(09/10) has changed to a larger axle diameter correct?
Is there any easy way to make your old wheels work on a new bike? I am assuming one will have to buy new rear hubs or sell exsisting wheels and replace.
Like many of you I am drooling over the 2010 and want to buy one but just wanted to see whats up with all my extra wheels now that I have a nice collection of them. Thanks

• grayracer513
42,900 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 28, 2009 - 11:38 AM

The '09 front wheel will fit earlier bikes back to '02 (or farther) if used with the axle/spacers appropriate to the bike. The '09 rear axle is larger, and the hub takes larger bearings, so there is no practical way to use any earlier rear wheels in an '09.

I have no info regarding the axle/bearing/wheel interchangeability with the '10.

• yz007f

TT Bronze Member

400 posts

Posted September 28, 2009 - 03:30 PM

I'm in the process of making a rear wheel setup for my 09'. I bought a new 07' rear wheel hub etc. I un-laced the wheel installed my new 09' hub and re-laced the wheel again using the same spokes etc.. There is two other ways you can do this but I didn't really care for them.

Other ways are:
You can use the old 22mm axle and axle blocks in the new swingarm, but you will need to jerryrig a 25mm to 22mm sleeve for the bake caliper bracket and add an extra washer to the axle to take up length.

If you have aftermarket hubs, like talon wheels you can change the two 22mm bearings to new bearings with an inside diameter of 25mm. You will also have to change the wheel spacers and inner axle tube.

yz007f

• SNO-PRO

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted September 29, 2009 - 03:33 AM

Thanks guys! I had the dealer look into it and I do not have any facts but supposedly the 09/10 wheels are the same that was right from yamaha I was told.

• ninthrazor

TT Member

51 posts

Posted November 19, 2009 - 07:40 PM

Doesn't the two stroke wheel and the four stroke wheel have different thickness/strength of spokes? I was under the unserstanding that the spokes of a four stroke have to be more beefy than a two stroke because of the power/torque difference. Is this really not the case?

• grayracer513
42,900 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 19, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Not the case, no.

• 5valve

TT Silver Member

694 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 11, 2010 - 10:49 AM

How about this one.
It is commonly known that '98 WR and YZ wheel don't fit the '99 and later.
But is it possible to remove the bearings and spacers including inner spacer, from '98 and use the parts from '99 rim to be able to accomodate the 22mm axle?
Problem is, I got one.

• grayracer513
42,900 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 11, 2010 - 11:20 AM

How about this one.
It is commonly known that '98 WR and YZ wheel don't fit the '99 and later.
But is it possible to remove the bearings and spacers including inner spacer, from '98 and use the parts from '99 rim to be able to accomodate the 22mm axle?
Problem is, I got one.

Read posts 2 & 3.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha WR250F 2016 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR250F 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Just bought 2010 YZ250f Shopping for woods? by Floyd A

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.