04 yz450f oil change procedure

3 replies to this topic
  • gparkin

Posted April 15, 2008 - 07:33 PM

looked through first 15 pages for this , sorry if it is a FAQ

new to 4 stroke engines , have ordered a manual but it is a week and a half away , can somebody tell me procedure . 3 spots to drain:bonk: ?!?

• BergArabia

Posted April 15, 2008 - 08:49 PM

There are something like six drain wholes to open but I just do this:

warm the bike up to operating temp: (takes about 3-5 mins)
remove the filler cap on crankacse and also the dipstick on the frame (near the handlebars)

Remove the main engine drain plug (size 12 bolt in the middle bottom of engine case. (Make sure you have you oil collector in place)
remove the 8 mm bolt on the side that the oil return pipe attaches to, a lot of oil will drain from here.
Remove the oil filter housing and the oil filter (I use a stainless steel filter so I clean it)
Replace the drain bolt and the pipe and the oil filter and tighten them. Check the O ring on the pipe attachment (may need to replace).
torque bolts.
Add about 1 litre of oil.
clean and replace caps.

While I am doing the about I also remove and clean the air filter and replace with a precleaned and pre oiled filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2008 - 09:29 PM

It's a far better idea, IMO, to leave the oil line alone, since the repeated disturbance of the fitting can lead it to crack. Better to use the drain plug provided on the front of the frame.

• BergArabia

Posted April 16, 2008 - 01:16 AM

It's a far better idea, IMO, to leave the oil line alone, since the repeated disturbance of the fitting can lead it to crack. Better to use the drain plug provided on the front of the frame.

Will check that that Gray.. thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.