1998 WR 400 Front Rim Compatibility

8 replies to this topic
  • vtisc007

Posted April 15, 2008 - 04:33 PM

I have searched up and down. I still have not found a straight forward answer. I hope someone here can help me.

I am currently on a hunt for an extra set of used wheels for my 98 WR 400.

I found the rear wheel on EBAY with minimal effort; however, the front wheel is much more difficult to locate.

My question is........Is there any other wheel that will fit?

I have noticed that there is a lot of YZ/WR 250, 400, 426, 450 wheels. Some ads claim that they will fit a wide array of years and models.

I have yet to find the front wheel for my 1998 WR 400.

Thank you.

• Alternative

Posted April 16, 2008 - 01:53 AM

As far as I'm aware the front hub didn't change from '98-'05, so any wheel from those years' WRs should fit. The YZ hub doesn't have the drive for the odo cable but will work if you don't use your odo.

• Frostbite

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:38 AM

As far as I'm aware the front hub didn't change from '98-'05, so any wheel from those years' WRs should fit. The YZ hub doesn't have the drive for the odo cable but will work if you don't use your odo.

I'm not sure about the exact years, but those model wheels will fit. The 125 rim may be a bit a bit narrower.

• vtisc007

Posted April 16, 2008 - 11:29 AM

I've got this crazy feeling that there is a difference between 1998 and 1999.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted April 16, 2008 - 11:49 AM

See here --->>>http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=632582

• Alternative

Posted April 17, 2008 - 05:15 AM

I've got this crazy feeling that there is a difference between 1998 and 1999.

The rear axle changed from a 20mm to a 22mm and subsequently the rear hub changed. The front remained the same as far as I'm aware.

• vtisc007

Posted April 22, 2008 - 10:05 PM

See here --->>>http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=632582

This is by far the best information I have ever seen.

There is only one minor snafu.

It doesn't mention anything about WR's........only YZ's.

If I do get a YZ wheel, do I need to get YZ spacers. I'm using a digital speedometer/odometer (sensor type).

• Frostbite

Posted April 23, 2008 - 03:10 AM

This is by far the best information I have ever seen.

There is only one minor snafu.

It doesn't mention anything about WR's........only YZ's.

If I do get a YZ wheel, do I need to get YZ spacers. I'm using a digital speedometer/odometer (sensor type).

You'll need the YZ spacer for the odo drive side since you won't be able to install the odo drive with the YZ wheel.

• zorroz

Posted April 23, 2008 - 05:51 AM

From 1st hand experience I ran a 99 front rim on my 02 Wr and I had to use the 99 spacer that the only difference cause the hub is a little narrower. So all you need to do is use the same year hub and spacer and will fit any 96 to 07 bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.